BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2012 10:33 am  #21

Re: Your opinion please re: Sherlock's past

I know we are not going to get heaps on Sherlock's past, but I enjoy the glimpses.
First off, I do not think he was kidnapped, as a child.
I do think:
He is from wealth and was privately educated, most likely at a boarding school.
I think the house we see Mycroft in, IS the family home which  presumably Mycroft has inherited.
I assumed their mother was dead, tho the writers don't seem to think so.  So maybe they are just estranged....still doesn't explain Mycroft and the house
I personally think Sherlock is a virgin, but again I may be out of kilter with the writers.  I have to accept he may have dabbled.I think he's asexual, but that may be open to debate.
We know he went to uni and it sounds like he had no real friends and they all thought he was gay...possibly cos he wasn't womanising, but I think that's cos he's asexual.But again, that's just me.
I don't know whether Mycroft introduced Sherlock to Lestrade, or whether Greg came across him through a drug arrest, but recognised his potential.

Last edited by besleybean (October 7, 2012 10:33 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 11:16 am  #22

Mummy has a nice little flat in the smarter part of Kensington and doesn't mind a bit if Mycroft wants to live in, maintain, and pay rates on the family pile.  (I just made that up, it doesn't reference any epis or stories.)

I don't think Sebastian necessarily thinks Sherlock is gay; I think he thinks he's a berk.

Last edited by NW16XE (October 7, 2012 11:17 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 7, 2012 11:23 am  #23

Firstly, I like your theory about the(not quite) dowager flat and would LOVE that to be so!
Secondly.  On one of my other forums(fora!), there was mass debate about the scene in Sebastian's office.
I think it is a vital scene. 
Our only glimpse into Sherlock's uni days, to date and another person's view of him.
No, the debate was about the ' friend' comment of Seb's.
I personally think he was implying that Sherlock is gay and John his boyfriend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 11:58 am  #24

Cheers, I was pleased with it myself. 

I think the fun in that scene is they way Sherlock stumbles over the word 'friend', emphasizing it; we know because he has so seldom used the word, it has trouble coming out of his mouth. John, however, knows how it sounds to Seb and makes it worse rather than better by quickly amending, 'collegue'. So yes, I agree Seb thinks he's gay at that point. I think at Uni he just thought Sherlock was an unbelievably annoying uberboffin.

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 7, 2012 12:46 pm  #25

What a nice detail, NW, thanks 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 7, 2012 1:48 pm  #26

Perhaps I'll try a bit of fanfic, lol! 

October 7, 2012 2:03 pm  #27

Would be worth a try, go ahead! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera