BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2012 9:14 pm  #61

Re: CBS Sherlock (aka The Elementary Thread)

m0r1arty wrote:

But they weren't going for cutting edge contemporary art, were they?

Too true! They should have been, though. I'm interested in seeing a work of art, not a cheap ripoff to cater to American Sherlock fans. If they are under the impression that any more than a small minority is going to convert, the show should not be titled Elementary. It should be titled Welcome to Bellevue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 7, 2012 4:13 pm  #62

Apparently Elementary shows a "new side" to SH:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18261136

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2012 4:28 pm  #63

I hate to judge a book by its cover but Lucy Lui wasted my time with her empty description of the Joan Watson character.

I don't think I'll like it (But hope I'm wrong!)

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 7, 2012 4:57 pm  #64

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2012 5:31 pm  #65

My thoughts on the BBC piece first:
1. Lucy Lui's reason(s) for doing it seemed to be no more than 'her people' telling her to. So she thought it wasn't a worthwhile project but 'her amazing team of people' by which I assume she means: her agent(s), publicist(s) and general entourage told she was mad not to do it. No mention of reading a script and being enthused, or even what she hopes to bring to the part.

2. 'Who knows if it is going to turn into something romantic.' Oh for goodness sake! Well that would change the dynamic between Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson somewhat, wouldn't it! Bring back Johnlock, all is forgiven!

3. The guy being interviewed towards the end about things Sherlock Holmes will encounter in NY that 'we don't typically see if it is London.' What unique things would they be then? Some of the buildings? Maybe the Statue of Liberty? Ooo....I've got it! Of course! Yellow cabs! In the name of all that is holy, what do these people think modern London is actually like? (Not all of Sherlock Holmes's cases took place in foggy London town anyway, did they.)

Sorry guys but the overriding feeling I get from this project is that it is 'all about the cha-ching- cha-ching'.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 8, 2012 8:37 pm  #66

@SH I wanted to chuckle at Lucy Liu's tone of voice when talking about when she turned down the role. I get the feeling that she's aware that half of the Sherlock fandom is ready to come after her with torches and pitchforks. Which is good, that she's aware, I mean. I don't think she deserves the hate she gets.

You can tell that "how will we make this stand out from the crowd?" is code for "how do we make it different from Sherlock?" two series does not a crowd make. We might be able to throw in the Basil Rathbone series of movies though, if we're not being finicky, because those were modern adaptations at the time.

@Davina I think what they mean is that there won't be horsedrawn cabs, and people will actually *gasp* use telephones.

People here (not sure where you're from, Davina) seem to have a very warped conception of what England is actually like.

One of the biggest issues that seems to be coming up in the fandom is the whole issue of race. As far as I'm concerned, not liking this show because it might be crap and being racist are two completely separate things. People seem to blur the edges between the two, which annoys me. Disliking the show doesn't make one racist, and the kneejerk reaction that goes something like "Watson is asian and a woman? No!" is not misogyny or racism. It's just that- a kneejerk reaction to a beloved character being changed. Most people have warmed up to the idea, including myself, although that doesn't change my wariness towards the show.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 8, 2012 9:14 pm  #67

Hello. I am from the UK and I suppose most Americans do have a distorted and probably idealised impression of England, in general, and London in particular. Funnily enough the issue of Lucy's race hadn't even occurred to me until you just mentioned it. I don't even, per se have a problem with Wtson being a woman, although it changes the dynamic completely, as far as I can see, but I do have a problem with her not being an Army veteran and being MADE to be with Sherlock.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 9, 2012 12:20 am  #68

I refuse to watch this ripoff on principle. It is going to be horrid anyway. This just strays too far from the canon. US network execs have no clue how to make quality programming.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 9, 2012 2:00 am  #69

I remember a few years ago hearing about this proposed series for the BBC about a modern-day take on Sherlock Holmes. For the life of me I couldn't imagine how they were going to do it and make it different than any of the other detective/buddy cop/CIS shows we've seen over the years. And it wasn't just about the modernization, either. After all, how many Victorian SH movies/shows have we seen over the years that were just awful? (Matt Frewer, anyone?) So keeping the characters in their own time is no guarantee of quality, either.

So when SHERLOCK was gifted upon us it was like Christmas and the Fourth of July and New Years all in one!

It all comes down to the writing and grokking the characters. I know very few serious Sherlockians/Holmesians who don't love SHERLOCK. Conversely, I know very few serious Sherlockians/Holmesians who love the Robert Downey Jr., movies. Like I said, it's all about understanding the characters.

So, as usual with any announcement of a new adaptation, I tend to be only slightly optimistic, expecting the worse and hoping for better. I'll give Elementary a chance (although the title alone tells me how "knowledgeable" the makers are about SH *rolls eyes*). You never know. If we're lucky, it might not suck.

June 9, 2012 10:38 am  #70

...expecting the worst and hoping for better - this just about sums it up nicely for me too.

June 9, 2012 7:39 pm  #71

@LoveBug Oh god, yes, the title! I mean, true, Sherlock does occasionally (whoops, occasionally meaning once, in the Crooked Man) tell Watson that something is elementary, but they got the idea from "Elementary, my dear Watson," and any person who has read the canon knows that that is totally non-canonical. I was really pleased that Sherlock does not say that once in Sherlock. There are so many other Sherlock Holmes quotes that they could have used, and, in the case of Sherlock, did. Elementary just scratched the surface by picking that title.

@Davina Most people here seem to have one of two perceptions of England: either it is like Harry Potter or Charles Dickens. There is no middle ground. XD

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (June 12, 2012 12:21 am)

I didn't know; I saw.

June 10, 2012 1:59 am  #72

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Most people here seem to have one of two perceptions of England: either it is like Harry Potter or Charles Dickens. There is no middle ground. XD

Who's this Harry Potter chap? Sounds like the worst of times to me...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 10, 2012 11:32 am  #73

Tantalus wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Most people here seem to have one of two perceptions of England: either it is like Harry Potter or Charles Dickens. There is no middle ground. XD

I love Harry Potter books, Tantalus. I enjoyed each page of them... and I started reading in my mid twenties

I agree with that about the perception of England. But... why people has no perception of it as Shakespeare's home land? I find it even more defining than Dickens or Harry Potter. But I guess Shakespeare is an old thing that most people don't even know exists

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 11, 2012 2:23 am  #74

Irene_Adler wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

I love Harry Potter books, Tantalus. I enjoyed each page of them... and I started reading in my mid twenties

I agree with that about the perception of England. But... why people has no perception of it as Shakespeare's home land? I find it even more defining than Dickens or Harry Potter. But I guess Shakespeare is an old thing that most people don't even know exists

Shakespeare? Wasn't that like, Roman times? You know, like, Jesus?

You'd be surprised how little people seem to know about history and geography. My personal favorite idiotic comment comes from last year's English class: "I thought London was in Paris."

Stratford-upon-Avon? Is that a kind of tree?
Scotland? Isn't that like, a city in Ireland?
Shakespeare? Is he a writer? Like, an old one?
Manchester? What, like the orchestra?
Normandy? Rings a bell. Maybe.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 11, 2012 11:08 am  #75

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

LOL, yes it seems some of us have that perception in America. I think some  here tend to romanticize and some to stereotype However I do think it goes both ways. From Fawlty Towers through Sherlock every British television program I have seen tends to portray Americans as rude, simple minded, big mouths. That's only true for some of us .

June 12, 2012 12:23 am  #76

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

LOL, yes it seems some of us have that perception in America. I think some  here tend to romanticize and some to stereotype However I do think it goes both ways. From Fawlty Towers through Sherlock every British television program I have seen tends to portray Americans as rude, simple minded, big mouths. That's only true for some of us .

"On the count of three, shoot Doctor Watson!" The guys with the guns charged in and I leaned over to my dad and said "these are the Americans." I was totally right.

Also, that sounds nothing like my accent. I'm not so loud or that...Texan sounding. XD

I didn't know; I saw.

June 12, 2012 12:45 am  #77

I am sure most of the Americans will back me up in saying that if this show is going to be on American network (non cable) television,as it is on CBS, it is going to be mediocre at best because it will be dumbed down and made generic for the masses. All the clever stuff made in the U.S, is either on HBO, SHO, AMC or some other niche cable station like STARZ or AUD not afraid to focus on one or two quality shows taking risks and daring to be unique and intelligent.

June 12, 2012 8:54 am  #78

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I am sure most of the Americans will back me up in saying that if this show is going to be on American network (non cable) television,as it is on CBS, it is going to be mediocre at best because it will be dumbed down and made generic for the masses. All the clever stuff made in the U.S, is either on HBO, SHO, AMC or some other niche cable station like STARZ or AUD not afraid to focus on one or two quality shows taking risks and daring to be unique and intelligent.

I am not American, but as far as I know, you are completely right. Most of the best TV shows I have ever seen are from HBO and AMC. Starz was responsible for Spartacus, wasn't it? I don't think I have seen any of their shows, but reading this I think I should take a look

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 12, 2012 10:52 am  #79

Irene_Adler wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I am not American, but as far as I know, you are completely right. Most of the best TV shows I have ever seen are from HBO and AMC. Starz was responsible for Spartacus, wasn't it? I don't think I have seen any of their shows, but reading this I think I should take a look

Irene, Lara's new show DaVinci's Demons will be on STARZ so you most assuredly want to check it out.

June 12, 2012 11:12 am  #80

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Irene_Adler wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Irene, Lara's new show DaVinci's Demons will be on STARZ so you most assuredly want to check it out.

No doubt, I will 
But I guess I'll have to catch it online, I'm not sure if it'll make it to Spanish TV. Or maybe it will in a couple of years, as usual...

Board footera