BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2012 7:29 am  #41

Re: CBS Sherlock (aka The Elementary Thread)

Of course not all American TV is crap. In my opinion, there are a lot of great shows which I enjoy and follow. Mad Men is a good example.

And Davina, I'm shocked reading what you say about Life on Mars. It's one of the most beautiful endings of a series I've ever seen. The last episode is just a masterpiece.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 30, 2012 7:38 am  #42

greed. The scriptwriters laughed a lot and said, 'They (meaning the American Producers) just don't get it.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 30, 2012 3:09 pm  #43

I think that British writers tend to look at their work more as art than as business. Of course, that's not always true, and the converse isn't always true in America.

I think that if I ever wrote a television show I would try not to pander to the public as much as many writers seem to do. I would write it like a good novel: artistically. I think of the contrast of authors like James Patterson and Kathy Reichs to authors like J.K. Rowling and Nina LaCour. I think people should write TV shows, novels, and plays because they love writing, not because they want to make money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

May 30, 2012 6:51 pm  #44

Having viewed both of the trailers in this thread, I believe the show might be pretty good, meaning it could provide an enjoyable escape and maybe even a little intellectual exercise. But that, of course, doesn't make it a reasonable representation of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

The magic of Sherlock is that we, the viewers, feel like we're watching and getting to know the "real" Holmes and Watson. Benedict and Martin don't come across as two actors putting on a show--they convince us that they really do roam the streets of London, that they belong here, in the modern era with us, and that they aren't made less real because of where and when they are. That, to me, shows the genius of Moffitt and Gatiss, and that's what makes Sherlock the genuine article and this other, thing, just a story about a couple of blokes with names that sound familiar to us.

I don't watch television, so I doubt I'll see Elementary. Nonetheless, I imagine it will survive for a few seasons, simply because most Americans won't have any point of reference to know that it's a fake. It will be viewed simply as reasonable entertainment to pass the time.

There definitely won't be forums like this one devoted to it. And, sadly, there will be millions of viewers who will perhaps forever remain ignorant of Mr. Sherlock Holmes.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 31, 2012 3:18 am  #45

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

I think it will probably end up "just another cop show". As far as an American Sherlock Holmes, House has that cornered. Brilliant show. Especially because Elementary's focus definitely seems to be on the characters and not on the stories. I see no parallels to A Study in Scarlet. What makes Sherlock so brilliant is that it is entirely loaded with canonical references. It is bursting to the seams with inside jokes and funny little pokes at the canon. So I can understand why it isn't as great if someone hasn't read the books. But still. Elementary just doesn't seem to come anywhere close.

(Also, people criticize Moftiss for guarding Sherlock and the copyright so zealously. But it's like their child, okay? A really, really, successful child. I think people should cut them slack.)

I agree 100%.
It will be 'just another cop show'.
And I don't think it will last long at all. The world is changing now; more is available online & people there have just seen some of the most beautiful work in TV production in decades.
People have been exposed to brilliance, anything less now would be a futile exercise.

I've watched the first trailer over again and laughed more than anything. Second one isn't available anywhere that I can see at the moment and I'm not that fussed on searching. Had my laugh for today.

CBS will try to shove it down people's throats; they'll be excited for the first few weeks of ratings, but as soon as the curiosity factor dies down they'll start to panic. It's just another cop show & will go down the track of other copycat cop shows, eg Unforgettable.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 1, 2012 8:56 pm  #46

kazza474 wrote:

I agree 100%.
It will be 'just another cop show'.
And I don't think it will last long at all. The world is changing now; more is available online & people there have just seen some of the most beautiful work in TV production in decades.
People have been exposed to brilliance, anything less now would be a futile exercise.

I've watched the first trailer over again and laughed more than anything. Second one isn't available anywhere that I can see at the moment and I'm not that fussed on searching. Had my laugh for today.

CBS will try to shove it down people's throats; they'll be excited for the first few weeks of ratings, but as soon as the curiosity factor dies down they'll start to panic. It's just another cop show & will go down the track of other copycat cop shows, eg Unforgettable.

I think another issue is the networks that these two shows are being aired on. Although Conan Doyle never considered Sherlock Holmes to be actual "literature", it's definitely a time honored story that people read. It's literary, even if some (especially its AUTHOR!) don't consider it "literature". So when we look at the two networks the supposedly literary shows are aired on, we see PBS and CBS.

One of these things is not like the other.

(Here, in parentheses, brief summary of the differences for people who might not be familiar with American television. Skip it if you're already familiar with the two. PBS is a government-subsidized network of television channels in both Spanish and English ((mostly English)) that is free for anyone who has a television. They air mostly documentaries, local programming, and educational children's shows. In the time slot before Sherlock my local channel aired a fifteen-minute spot on a local native American artist, for example.

CBS, by contrast, is available to people with a basic cable subscription. They air How I Met Your Mother, The Amazing Race, and a whole host of dramas, sitcoms, and reality shows.)

So we can tell already which of these shows is likely more cerebral. Unfortunately, while the 3.3 million figure that watched Sherlock on PBS these past few weeks is astronomically larger than anything PBS has aired in a lonnnnnnng time, that only represents about 1/100 televisions in a country that, regrettably, has a television for just about every person. How I Met Your Mother, by contrast, nets three times that for every season finale. Sherlock's scope just doesn't compare, especially if CBS really pushes this show. 3.3 million people (probably more, because it's not like people use separate television sets in one house) have become acquainted with brilliance in a modern Sherlock Holmes adaptation. Unfortunately if 9 million households watch Elementary, that may not be enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

June 1, 2012 10:02 pm  #47

You are right in that CBS just has more clout than PBS. However it also has more competition from other networks. In a way I hope that it will be a good series but I fear that it won't be. Obviously it will appeal more to people who have not seen Sherlock. Even here in the UK, the mothership so to speak, many have not seen either series of Sherlock, being happy watching their soaps and reality TV fodder (not sure if you actually watch fodder, but anyhow...)

What I find hard to accept is the whole premise behind elementary, with Joan Watson being made to look after Sherlock and her being struck off as a doctor and all that stuff, all too far removed from the canon for me I'm afraid! It would have been much more interesting, as someone has previously commented, to have had Sherlock as a female role with either a female Watson or a male Watson, which would I think have changed up the dynamics between them.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 10:15 pm  #48

In my opinion, that second trailer looks just as you said. Another cop show.
Probably not worth my time because those kind of shows tend to bore me a lot if they don't have something special to add. But I guess I'll have to give it a try to form a real opinion.

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 2, 2012 6:54 am  #49

Yeah, I actually think female Sherlock would have been more interesting than female Watson, not sure why but it just works better for me.

Or make them both female - Sherly and Joan, lol

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 3, 2012 3:40 am  #50

People on tumblr point out quite often that Sherlock is not entirely canonical either. I tell them, in terms more suited to my vernacular, to sod off. I think that people have a valid excuse to dislike Elementary. While Sherlock might not be quite canon, like I said before, it is completely lousy with references to the original canon, both serious and humorous, that make it such a joy to watch for people that have read the stories.

What makes it even greater is that even with all these esoteric (my English teacher would be proud) references, people who haven't read the stories or even people who have only seen the Guy Ritchie films can enjoy the series almost as thoroughly as people who have.

The main thing that I notice about Elementary is that it does not push the inside joke aspect of the canon in nearly the same way. I don't know how others feel, but when I first watched SiP every reference to A Study in Scarlet just made me want to leap out of my chair and do a happy dance because, while it wasn't canon, in a very sneaky way it very much was. The first small bit is close to verbatim, sans Lestrade's press conference, what with their meeting and Stamford and everything, but they change the language to suit modern RP.

Elementary doesn't seem to have any of that. We have an entire thread on this board devoted to counting canon references in Sherlock. In the trailer for Elementary I see three: the names Sherlock Holmes, Joan Watson, and Tobias Gregson.

I just did another one of my epic posts again, didn't I? Sorry! :/

I didn't know; I saw.

June 3, 2012 8:17 am  #51

Yes, epic post, but you said it all so well...

June 3, 2012 8:21 am  #52

I think the main thing is that there is NO PROOF that the makers of the show thus far have ANY respect for the original.
They are just making a show to jump on the bandwagon of the resurgence of popularity of Sherlock Holmes.

I have a great aversion for bandwagoners. Its not THAT hard to be either original or at least respect the roots of the subject matter.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 3, 2012 11:38 am  #53

I also think it is such a pity that they didn't take the opportunity, as Americans, to try and update classic American Detectives from literature, such as: Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe or Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade. They could have, possibly, produced something worthwhile and original without appearing to be bandwagon jumpers, which they do now.

June 3, 2012 7:40 pm  #54

That would have been an excellent idea, Davina!  If CBS had taken the core premise of modernizing a classic detective, and used an American one instead, they wouldn't have to be concerned with infringing on Sherlock's copyright and could have lots of fun with bringing Spade or Marlowe or whomever (Ellery Queen?) into the 21st century.  Those detectives, like Holmes, have been portrayed on TV before but not in today's world; producers could have had a lot of fun updating them.  And there probably wouldn't be so many comments comparing the US version unfavorably to the British one, since there wouldn't be a Brisish version.  Oh well.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (June 3, 2012 7:41 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 3, 2012 8:09 pm  #55

I think it would have a lot of 'legs' as they say. Just think exactly how wonderful they could be. Maybe they will, eventually, think of it. At the moment they seem pretty obsessed with forensic science in various forms.

June 4, 2012 2:05 am  #56

Davina wrote:

I also think it is such a pity that they didn't take the opportunity, as Americans, to try and update classic American Detectives from literature, such as: Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe or Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade. They could have, possibly, produced something worthwhile and original without appearing to be bandwagon jumpers, which they do now.

But that wouldn't have made nearly the money. Most people at least recognize the name of Sherlock Holmes, though they don't necessarily know anything about him. The name gets people watching, and if the producers/writers/actors, etc. do a fair job, they'll make a reasonably exciting show that will make money. What else matters? Bandwagoners (nice word!) indeed.

(Is there a sarcasm smiley...)

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 5, 2012 3:35 am  #57

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

That would have been an excellent idea, Davina!  If CBS had taken the core premise of modernizing a classic detective, and used an American one instead, they wouldn't have to be concerned with infringing on Sherlock's copyright and could have lots of fun with bringing Spade or Marlowe or whomever (Ellery Queen?) into the 21st century.  Those detectives, like Holmes, have been portrayed on TV before but not in today's world; producers could have had a lot of fun updating them.  And there probably wouldn't be so many comments comparing the US version unfavorably to the British one, since there wouldn't be a Brisish version.  Oh well.

Dupin!

I didn't know; I saw.

June 5, 2012 12:30 pm  #58

Yes! Of course. Another contender!

June 5, 2012 11:47 pm  #59

You know, I reread (or I thought I reread because it didn't seem familiar) The Murders in the Rue Morgue last night, and I think that that would be a really fantastic idea, adapting Dupin for the modern day. I think it could totally work. Much like Sherlock Holmes for my generation, everyone has heard of Edgar Allen Poe but few people have read his stories. I think it would be really excellent if CBS or another channel adapted another old detective story and placed it in New York City or Boston, especially if it was not only Dupin but also all of Poe's stories and poems. They could make it fun and just a little bit dark. Just think about if maybe the two shows got into a competition about who could make their series better. Instead of outraging Moftiss, it would make them raise the bar. What is great about Dupin is that he actually came before Sherlock Holmes. They could always take that angle when they began promoting it. "Before Sherlock Holmes patrolled the streets of London..."

I think it would be especially great if they had a scene where Dupin disparages Sherlock Holmes in the same manner as Holmes does to him. XD Sherlockians have this attitude of "No, don't touch this, it's sacr—OH GOD YOU TOUCHED IT." People aren't usually like that about Poe. I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but there aren't newsletters dedicated to purporting that Dupin was real and discovering the name of the narrator. There aren't hundreds of Edgar Allen Poe societies across the world.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 6, 2012 3:13 am  #60

He's still fairly well known though SLA,

Although I agree Dupin wouldn't have put that automatic 'bad fence' up around the CBS production.

But they weren't going for cutting edge contemporary art, were they?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

Board footera