BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2012 4:22 pm  #1

CBS Sherlock (aka The Elementary Thread)

Might as well give an overarching point of reference to the show (Independent of the Lucy Lui thread)

Some snaps:

I'll observe this with clinical scepticism as it may turn out to be worthwhile.

I realise there is the obvious shoehorning of BBC Sherlock's popularity into the mix - but with big names come good writers, let's hope they can pull off an enjoyable show.

-m0r

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (June 7, 2012 4:13 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

March 23, 2012 9:52 pm  #2

Re: CBS Sherlock (aka The Elementary Thread)

I'm not holding out much hope, but at least it's something Sherlock related to keep us going till series 3!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 8, 2012 1:44 pm  #3

Someone in IMDb posted this

http://aeraspais.tumblr.com/post/19714418055

Some thoughts about Elementary's script. I really don't understand the conclussion (and it is not a language problem but a concept problem). Please, tell me what you think.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 8, 2012 2:39 pm  #4

he/she said in the end of texts : Nevertheless, it is still better than Sherlock BBC. I’ll tell you that much.

O_O I don't get it..

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

April 8, 2012 2:44 pm  #5

theCuriousOne wrote:

he/she said in the end of texts : Nevertheless, it is still better than Sherlock BBC. I’ll tell you that much.

O_O I don't get it..

Yes, that's exactly what I don't get... it's boring but better than Sherlock? 

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 8, 2012 3:01 pm  #6

I don't see how they can say it's better seeing as it hasn't even come out yet...they've obviously just got something against BBC Sherlock for some reason.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 8, 2012 3:04 pm  #7

well, probably, the CBS doing something unnatural, Joan. so he/she who write about the review thinks it would be more interesting and better because CBS not too mainstream.. =_=a

© unreasonablyme

April 8, 2012 3:10 pm  #8

Well, for me in the moment they chose Jonny Lee Miller for Sherlock (I like him a lot but it's a cheesy replacement for Ben) and changed Watson's gender it felt too much forced and unnatural. I think they might do something nice, I love some american shows. But not Sherlock. They will try to stay as far aways from BBC's as they can and it will make things look weird.

April 8, 2012 3:50 pm  #9

yeah.. that's the consequence take the same theme. but I admit I'm curious about it and waiting for the show (though probably I must do something illegal to watch it).

© unreasonablyme

April 8, 2012 11:51 pm  #10

Having read this article I have the following comments:
1. Disregarding differences between American and English grammarit his s not a very well written piece and could have done with some serious editing and checking before it was 'published'.
2. It is clear that the writer of the article has little, if any, knowledge of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, if she did she would balk against many of the changes made in this pilot script e.g. the dynamic between 'Joan' and  Sherlock. There are some changes in the BBC series from the original dynamic but criticising either The CBS or BBC version for emphasising and repeating about Sherlock's brilliance which is a mainstay of the stories is plain ignorant (duh!)
3. As others have mentioned the conclusion that is is better than the BBC version is a pretty bold statement when you consider it is derived from the reading of an illicitly obtained script. What really angers me is that this statement is made and then backed up with exactly no reasons for the conclusion whatsoever This is not a good critique.

I cannot see how anyone can legitimately compare two programmes based upon having read a script for one, watched the other (we assume) and presumably never having read the original stories.

If the CBS version is going to alter the dynamic and central characters so much  one wonders why they bothered linking it to Sherlock Holmes at all? Or is there a bandwagon to be leapt upon? Cynical me.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 8, 2012 11:52 pm  #11

Should read: this is not.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 9, 2012 4:50 pm  #12

Oh lord. Not to be a pessimist, but the script sounds awful. Of course I understand that the pilot hasn't even been aired yet, and I should really wait to see what it's like before passing judgement... But still! It just really doesn't seem like it's going to have the "feel" about it that I think a Sherlock Holmes adaptation should have. But then again, maybe I was just expecting something more like Sherlock, though of course I wouldn't want Elementary to be a clone of it -- that'd be dull. I just hope it'll be better than it sounds... and not too... hmm... I don't know. American? Not to insult myself or any other Americans. But Sherlock Holmes comes from British literature, so I feel like any adaptions should reflect that.

Also, did that person even SEE Sherlock? Because I seriously can't comprehend how they could say that Elementary (which isn't technically even a show yet) is better than Sherlock. It honestly defies logic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

April 9, 2012 5:45 pm  #13

Logic defied, assuredly!

April 9, 2012 6:07 pm  #14

I agree with Davina,  seems there is really a "bandwagon to be
leapt on" going on here.

It's been brought up elsewhere that this is an example of
"viral marketing" -    A marketing campaign where a leaked
script, deemed to be "sort of boring,"  pulls in like-minded
readers in an effort to trust the writer,   who then concludes
with the "better than Sherlock BBC" angle.   It's a hook to get
interest going in the project.

We'll see!   I'm actually really not against attempts at crazy
interpretations of classics,  but the good ones usually make
at least some attempt at subtlety,  or cleverness.  Haven't
seen that yet in this 'Elementary' project.

Me, I'm going to try to ignore it until (and if) it airs.
Although it sounds like this is going to be unavoidable in
the press and with the accompanying buzz,  during our long
wait until Series 3  (which of course I'm inclined to think
will be brilliant)  is even filmed...

April 10, 2012 1:33 am  #15

Just got around to reading this. Not sure I actually believe that this person has read the pilot script. But if that's the script then it sounds like it's going to be generic US procedural cop-drama done Sherlock style. They started putting a spin on procedural cop shows with stuff like Castle. It might be a good US cop drama but I don't know if it will be a good Sherlock. Not sure if I'll watch it. I have enough TV show addictions already!

But no doubt the BBC Sherlockians will watch it just so that we can pull it apart and talk about how dreadful it is while we wait for more Moftiss magic.

PS the author clearly dislikes Moffat and finds him arrogant - see his/her comment on whether he's copyrighted the word deductions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 14, 2012 10:10 am  #16

Memorising all the adverts and programmes on tv??? He must be American :D
I think this show will be rather dull and boring.

ABFVRZNTRUG

April 15, 2012 3:28 am  #17

"Memorizing all the adverts and programmes on tv?"
I don't really understand why a genius would do that, especially Sherlock Holmes who erases all irrelevant data on his "hard-drive" and that kind of information is very useless. But it isn't our Sherlock, so they can do a dumb one if they want : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 15, 2012 6:37 am  #18

Exactly! Why would memorising all programmes and adverts be of use to him?

April 15, 2012 7:01 am  #19

Having memorized crap telly programmes would be useful for Sherlock in case the killer uses them to actually kill people.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 15, 2012 7:47 am  #20

Milkomeda wrote:

"Memorizing all the adverts and programmes on tv?"
I don't really understand why a genius would do that....

Yes well, in the USA all things revolve around TV & their stars you know. Basically, they have 'dumb down' the intellectual part of the stories because it will sell easier to the masses.
They are not interested in the whole theme to Sherlock Homes stories, they are just wanting to make money.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera