BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2015 12:02 am  #621

Re: Benedict to play Hamlet on stage

I only spotted one girl with a 'I am Sher locked' T-shirt Thursday night. There was silence during the play (other than very appropriate laughter and giggles) and after there was a standing applause and the cast was brought back to do another bow. There women were squealing and cheering and Benedict was lovely, he seemed to blush a bit even, and did the "No, thank you!!" gesture and applauded the audience. 

The media has nothing to worry about, if that night was anything to go by! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 8, 2015 8:57 am  #622

That's a really positive thing! Let's hope it continues on that way!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 8, 2015 9:15 am  #623

So do I, this is an amazing play and it deserved respect. Benedict is much more than the Cumberbum. (which does look nice up close *cough*) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 11, 2015 11:05 am  #624

Something that I don't fully understand: Does appear BC on stage EVERY NIGHT to perform Hamlet on stage? Every night from Monday to Saturday until Oct 31???

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 11, 2015 11:15 am  #625

Yes. Sundays are free, but on Saturdays there are two performances. This makes seven every week. This is usual for such productions and the difference to repertory theatre which is similar to our German communal theatre where you get a different production every night and ten or twenty productions per season. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 12, 2015 10:11 pm  #626

Is it really 7 performances a week? In New York, the standard is 8 shows a week--two on Wednesdays and two on Saturday, only a matinee on Sundays and no shows on Mondays. (A few have two shows on Sunday and only the evening show on Saturday.)

(Although a few shows are starting to deviate from the traditional schedule, and a subset of those are even doing 9 shows a week.)

Frankly, I don't know how these actors are still alive at the end of a run!

Last edited by REReader (August 12, 2015 10:11 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 13, 2015 7:02 am  #627

Mon–Sat 7.15pm
(except Opening Night on Tue 25 Aug, 7pm start)
Matinee performances 1.30pm every Sat from 15 Aug

source: hamlet.barbican.org.uk

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 13, 2015 7:29 am  #628

I admire his stamina! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 13, 2015 10:45 am  #629

Hats off!

I suppose that has to do with (physical) training, but all the same...that is impressive and commands respect.
And quite humbling for amateurs who are exhausted after two performances. 

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 13, 2015 11:15 am  #630

Chapeau! That's really a lot of work to be done, a lot of concentration and power. But well, doctors and nurses, for example, do a great job, too ;-).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 13, 2015 12:21 pm  #631

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I admire his stamina! 

Why does everything have to make me think dirty thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 13, 2015 12:24 pm  #632

You have been in this fandom for too long. 

August 13, 2015 12:28 pm  #633

I might have been able to write another word and chose to say that... but knowing you'd read it tonnaree.... *coughs*

And yes, I do agree with doctors and nurses and a lot of other people too! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (August 13, 2015 12:28 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 13, 2015 12:54 pm  #634

tonnaree wrote:

I admire his stamina! 

And I denied myself commentating the stamina quote. I hope there is stamina in all areas of life.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 13, 2015 1:33 pm  #635

Ivy wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I admire his stamina! 

And I denied myself commentating the stamina quote. I hope there is stamina in all areas of life.

At my age I'm over the whole denial thing. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 13, 2015 2:32 pm  #636

SusiGo wrote:

Mon–Sat 7.15pm
(except Opening Night on Tue 25 Aug, 7pm start)
Matinee performances 1.30pm every Sat from 15 Aug

source: hamlet.barbican.org.uk

Weren't there also supposed to be special "school only" performances as well (at a lower cost for the seats)?  They wouldn't be listed on the Barbican site would they?  If I recall there have been some articles that mentioned that BC insisted that those extra performances be done so school aged children and uni students would be able to access the play. 

In Canada often the special school offers take place during mid-week and generally are matinee performances.  Would the Barbican being doing something similar?

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

August 13, 2015 5:05 pm  #637

I've read that David Tennant had made a very honourable Hamlet too. It seems to be a kind of obligatory step for an actor to prove his talent on stage and start playing in the big league.
Not a fan of Hamlet, I'm afraid, but no doubt Cumberbatch makes a good prince.

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 13, 2015 7:57 pm  #638

In general, a good production of a Shakespeare play is SO MUCH BETTER than reading it...so why do they teach Shakespeare in high schools by having students read the things? 

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 13, 2015 8:37 pm  #639

BHavers wrote:

I've read that David Tennant had made a very honourable Hamlet too. It seems to be a kind of obligatory step for an actor to prove his talent on stage and start playing in the big league.

Oh yes, his Hamlet was very good! Very emotional. If you're interested in watching it -or just a part of it ("to be or not to be soliloquy) as you're not a fan of Hamlet- you can do so on Youtube.
While not being obligatory, playing Hamlet will certainly crown an already talented actor's career -and we can be sure that Ben's performance is just very, very good.

August 13, 2015 9:00 pm  #640

Lilythiell wrote:

BHavers wrote:

Oh yes, his Hamlet was very good! Very emotional. If you're interested in watching it -or just a part of it ("to be or not to be soliloquy) as you're not a fan of Hamlet- you can do so on Youtube.

David's Hamlet is very moving and also hilarious at times. I think he did a brilliant job in bringing the character to life. And I can't wait to see my other favourite actor playing that role.
Even if one doesn't like the play too much, I think the role of Hamlet gives an actor the chance to portray all sorts of emotions. I absolutely understand why so many actors want to play Hamlet eventually.

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 13, 2015 9:01 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera