BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2013 5:58 pm  #1

#tiglock =(

Hi all,

I've just seen that Ruther (the person who's always miraculously well informed about where things are filmed and whom we have to thank for a lot of #setlock) and some others have started a hashtag called #tiglock on Twitter, tig being short for The Imitation Game.
Some photos have already leaked, and on one of them you can see a small crowd of (surprise) female fans armed with cameras.
I worry about that- #setlock is one thing, but if people are going to stalk every single film BC's shooting from now on using twitter like that, it's simply annoying. I have read that he was very nice towards the fans on the last NGS shoot of Sherlock, and that he and Martin have even thanked the fans for being there, but let's face it- they've said before that they are not too happy about it either, especially because some fans are taking it too far.
There's one girl for example whom BC calls "the cheese girl" - she stalks him like mad and seemingly isn't ashamed about it at all (the nickname comes from one occasion on which she asked him to draw certain things, one of them being cheese, duh).

Bearing that and BC's birthday-thank you- message in mind, I'd just like to ask you not to support/retweet these hashtags if you agree. Even though BC is being nice about his "Cumbercollective", it might get too much at one point. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

September 18, 2013 6:08 pm  #2

Re: #tiglock =(

I understand your concern but to be honest, I could not resist to choose a pic for my signature. It is a bit difficult to keep cool if you do not have the chance to see any of this for yourself. Years ago you just waited for a film to be made and had no chance to see anything beforehand but this has changed in times of Internet. Besides the people seemed to be well-behaved and I expect that most of the filming will be on private property or indoors. 
I would not support anything like stalking or disturbing the work. 
Any information about the film like tweets from the director etc. should be posted in the Imitation Game thread. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 18, 2013 6:20 pm  #3

Oh, I didn't mean the pictures. Those will leak anyway, I think. I rather meant the crowds of fans which Ben and the others are facing if things like those hashtags become the norm.
Regarding Sherlock he said it's his job he's doing there and he needs to concentrate, but that it's really difficult with so many onlookers (even if they are as well-behaved as the setlock fans).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

September 18, 2013 6:24 pm  #4

Oh, alright. I can imagine that it disturbs the concentration. Did you see the extra feature from STID? There is a short moment where you can see him totally concentrating on a scene. This might be difficult with a crowd around you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 18, 2013 6:25 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, alright. I can imagine that it disturbs the concentration. Did you see the extra feature from STID? There is a short moment where you can see him totally concentrating on a scene. This might be difficult with a crowd around you. 

No, I didn't (yet), but I can imagine it.

September 18, 2013 8:04 pm  #6

On one hand I fully understand your concern.
On the other hand I think "this is our modern life" and people are all grown up. If they don't want any crowds around they should be able to send them away. I would not go there (well, honestly, maybe once if I lived near and had the chance), but I don't think they (crew and actors) need our "protection".
BTW: they earn good money for it! 

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 18, 2013 8:23 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 18, 2013 8:44 pm  #7

I also think that there certainly is security standing by in case it should become necessary to secure the set. The crew and production team certainly know how to ensure an undisturbed shooting. If fans should get too close, too wild, too whatever, the team will find a way to do something about it.
Of course there might always be fans who just go too far, but I guess that lies in the nature of things.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 19, 2013 5:11 am  #8

I agree- they don't need our "protection" and they do have security. I just don't like the way this is going and the light it's probably shedding on his fans in general. Today there was a new tumblr post from someone who had "been lucky" because they were shooting in her hometown and she took pictures of BC. I quote:

"Poor guy had to do this scene on this old bike on a wet road 4 times in the freezing cold, must have killed!Felt really bad when we were asked to move back and he looked at us and said sorry…like we’re the ones stepping on your toes man! You’re freezing your butt off on a rickety old bike and you’re apologising to us for being in shot? He’s too nice."

Exactly. He's too nice about things like that when it can't be anything but annoying.

September 19, 2013 8:50 am  #9

Kerkerian wrote:

I agree- they don't need our "protection" and they do have security. I just don't like the way this is going and the light it's probably shedding on his fans in general. Today there was a new tumblr post from someone who had "been lucky" because they were shooting in her hometown and she took pictures of BC. I quote:

"Poor guy had to do this scene on this old bike on a wet road 4 times in the freezing cold, must have killed!Felt really bad when we were asked to move back and he looked at us and said sorry…like we’re the ones stepping on your toes man! You’re freezing your butt off on a rickety old bike and you’re apologising to us for being in shot? He’s too nice."

Exactly. He's too nice about things like that when it can't be anything but annoying.

This comment from the girl on tumblr actually made me grin, because it sounds so wonderfully naive. Well, of course shooting a movie is not just great fun with sunshine everyday and delivering some lines and looking good on camera. It's hard work, very often under not ideal conditions... just think about all those night shoots for Sherlock, that's probably not too funny, either.

But I'm sure that Benedict is well aware of the fact that his "Collective" consists of lots of different people, with lots of different character traits, behaviour, whatever... and he certainly knows that with success there sometimes also come uncomfortable or even annoying situations.
(I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't go and have a look if he happened to shoot in my neighbourhood... I'm just not on tumblr or twitter, so I wouldn't tell anybody there about it. )

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera