BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2013 2:28 pm  #241

Re: D'you think Sherlock has ever had a girlfriend?

Oh, quite some men have girlfriends and no understanding of romance 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 6, 2013 2:32 pm  #242

Well, someone must have been the one who told him he doesn't have a heart, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 6, 2013 2:33 pm  #243

Sherlock specifically says girlfriends are not really his area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 6, 2013 2:35 pm  #244

Speaking so out of looong experience 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 6, 2013 2:37 pm  #245

Evidence for this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 6, 2013 2:44 pm  #246

ancientsgate wrote:

holmes23 wrote:

A curious thought, why did it take 'ages' for him to work out Ithe 'SHERLOCKED' password? Wasn't it easy comparing to the other? I know the pressure of the situation was there as far as the first one is concerned. Any way just a thought...

Because the writers (all men, of course) decided they need to show How Very Heterosexual Sherlock Is by getting him all addle-brained about that Irene Adler. In the presence of breasts and a fine female mind, apparently our Sherlock's own mind flies out the window. I hope the writers don't make that mistake again. Just my opinion, of course. The answer is, who knows?

Or maybe they just wanted to adapt a story from the canon where Sherlock gets outwitted by a woman.  Personally, this episode is my favorite because it's nice to see the vulnerable side to Holmes.  I don't really see it as a mistake that a naive man can be toyed with by a woman...it happens everyday.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 6, 2013 4:13 pm  #247

sj4iy wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

holmes23 wrote:

A curious thought, why did it take 'ages' for him to work out Ithe 'SHERLOCKED' password? Wasn't it easy comparing to the other? I know the pressure of the situation was there as far as the first one is concerned. Any way just a thought...

Because the writers (all men, of course) decided they need to show How Very Heterosexual Sherlock Is by getting him all addle-brained about that Irene Adler. In the presence of breasts and a fine female mind, apparently our Sherlock's own mind flies out the window. I hope the writers don't make that mistake again. Just my opinion, of course. The answer is, who knows?

Or maybe they just wanted to adapt a story from the canon where Sherlock gets outwitted by a woman.  Personally, this episode is my favorite because it's nice to see the vulnerable side to Holmes.  I don't really see it as a mistake that a naive man can be toyed with by a woman...it happens everyday.

But he doesn't get outwitted does he? He figures it out in the end, proving that he is smarter than Irene, while in the original story Mrs. Norton, née Adler, gets away. Though in that story no real harm is done.

As for why he didn't figure it out sooner I think it's because he thought she was more clever than that, that she presented him with an interesting puzzle rather than something so pedestrian as sentimental attachment. After all the reason he gives for figuring it out is: "I took your pulse", indicating that he has now takes her physical, and possibly emotional, attachment to him into account when deducing the password. Basically I see it as a bit of a gamble on his part. Either he is right and she has let her heart rule her head and proven to him that doing so is a fatal flaw in "The Game", or he is wrong, in which case she has won.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 6, 2013 4:43 pm  #248

Ormond Sacker wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

But he doesn't get outwitted does he? He figures it out in the end, proving that he is smarter than Irene, while in the original story Mrs. Norton, née Adler, gets away. Though in that story no real harm is done.

"And that was how a great scandal threatened to affect the kingdom of Bohemia, and how the best plans of Mr. Sherlock Holmes were beaten by a woman's wit."

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 6, 2013 5:14 pm  #249

sj4iy wrote:

Ormond Sacker wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

"And that was how a great scandal threatened to affect the kingdom of Bohemia, and how the best plans of Mr. Sherlock Holmes were beaten by a woman's wit."

Operative word in that sentence is "threatened", nothing ever actually happens. Mrs. Norton elects not to use it, her own choice, because she is now happily married, and only keeps it to keep herself and her husband safe from any reprisals from the King.

I grant that the following is mere speculation, but I cannot help but wonder if she wouldn't have let the whole thing slide even if Holmes had not been hired by the heir apparent, since she has already met Godfrey Norton and decided to marry him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 14, 2014 12:46 am  #250

Well after series 3 we can conclude that yes, Sherlock Holmes has had a girlfriend 

And he still managed to remain a virgin lol

January 14, 2014 6:58 am  #251

I for one am delighted he appears to have maintained his purity.

January 14, 2014 9:30 am  #252

A virgin! Where do people get these ideas from? Of course he's not a virgin.

SHAG-A-LOT HOLMES; 7 TIMES A NIGHT IN BAKER STREET

(I read it in the papers so it must be true)

January 14, 2014 12:07 pm  #253

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 14, 2014 4:40 pm  #254

Tee Hee.

January 14, 2014 7:31 pm  #255

besleybean wrote:

He's saving it for when he marries John.

*runs and hides*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2014 9:01 pm  #256

January 14, 2014 9:34 pm  #257

Of course Sherlock has had a girlfriend, whom, in actual fact, he even married - his work.

But speaking seriously, if he's always been the same all his life, a sociopath, I presume then he probably has never had a girlfriend...

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 15, 2014 5:56 pm  #258

Sherlock was pretty oblivious to Social Interactions of any kind before he met John i think.
He only knew Mike Stamford from Bart's (A work based interaction) ditto Molly Hooper and Lestrade.  
In fact, all of his associations were work-based.
This is further Evidenced by theses facts:
When Molly was trying to get his attention and ask him out for coffee he only noticed the fact that she had added lipstick and when she reiterated her question about coffee he merely expressed his preference and went upstairs.

When he took John to the resturant on Northumberland street he was completely oblivious to the fact that it was run to be a romantic place for couples. As such it was logical for the Maitre 'D to assume that his bringing John there was meant to be a date.

Then inthe Blind Banker (based on The Dancing Men) When Sherlock explains his plans for continuing the investigation John says he has a date Sherlock is puzzled John explains the concept and Sherlock says..."that's what I was suggesting"   and john replied "No it isn't....at least I hope not!" furthering the notion that Sherlock's grasp of romantic relationships is almost nonexistant.

Then, of course, we have both the exchange between Sherlock and Mycroft in Buckingham Palace and later, thecomment by Irene that Moriarty calls the Holmes Brothers The Ice Man(Mycroft) and the Virgin(Sherlock).

"I am Lost without my Blogger!"

January 17, 2014 3:46 pm  #259

tonnaree wrote:

besleybean wrote:

He's saving it for when he marries John.

*runs and hides*

That made me smile. Seriously though, my take on all this is that Sherlock's gay, but he's never had a relationship and then he goes and falls for a straight man, for John who loves him but who will never be in love with him, which I find rather sad. 

January 17, 2014 5:05 pm  #260

Oh I wouldn't worry too much, I think Sherlock is marreid to his work and disinterested in relationships.

Board footera