BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2013 1:42 pm  #1

Hollywood Reporter interview

Here is a link to a quite long and personal interview appearing in this month's issue. It is different in that here Benedict is depicted as a somewhat prickly and difficult guy (which I don't mind at all). IMO it a shows that he is a thoughtful person having express opinions of his own and not just a movie star promoting his next film. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/benedict-cumberbatch-confessions-fifth-estate-625408

Last edited by SusiGo (September 11, 2013 1:55 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 12, 2013 4:39 am  #2

Re: Hollywood Reporter interview

... as a reporter, you probably shouldn't use a word like "obfuscate" with an actor who knows what it means ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 12, 2013 6:37 am  #3

Yes. Maybe the reporter was slightly pissed after that and everything went downhill. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 12, 2013 7:27 am  #4

And maybe the reporter shouldn't have expected to get an answer to each and every one of his questions. Just because he's from the press doesn't mean that an interview goes exactly in the direction he wants it to. Benedict (and every other person that gets interviewed for that matter) is not his marionette, he has a brain and he knows how to use it - as we've seen just lately. He has an opinion and he doesn't hesitate to state it. And if that means that he doesn't want to talk about his private life or that some (stupid) questions piss him off, that's totally fine with me. I'm pretty sure that not every question asked in an interview really deserves an answer... reporters can ask rather stupid questions, if you ask me...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 12, 2013 7:39 am  #5

I agree with you. And I think it is wrong to say - though many people do - that once you are famous and privileged you just have to accept the loss of all privacy. Of course he can be expected to answer questions about his work because that is what he is paid for and what is presented to the public. And if he wants to talk about his private life he may do so. But it is not his duty to do so.
I just wonder how they came up with the subject of the South Africa incident when the chemistry clearly did not work. I would say it is something to talk about only when you feel at ease with a journalist. Maybe the reporter even asked him about that. 

September 12, 2013 7:53 am  #6

SusiGo wrote:

And I think it is wrong to say - though many people do - that once you are famous and privileged you just have to accept the loss of all privacy.

Perfect example that you do not have to accept the loss of all privacy once you are famous: Kevin Spacey. It's really amazing, I'm a huge fan and I know almost nothing about his private life - just because from very early on in his career he simply refused to talk about it. And yes, there are rumours from time to time, but he just doesn't comment on them. The consequence is that you see almost nothing about him in the press, from red carpets and stuff, but in my opinion he's doing the right thing. He let's his work speak for itself, and of course he's doing promotional interviews, but that's about it.
The media (and also a lot of fans) seems to think that cooperating with the media on the media's terms is part of the job of celebrities. I disagree.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 12, 2013 7:56 am  #7

....aaaaand as we've seen in TRF: eventually the press will turn on everyone (even if in TRF it was instigated by Jim...).

September 12, 2013 8:34 am  #8

An actor is a public person, of course, but has the choice how far he exposes himself.
Some do it, even use their children to attract more attention and provoke it with outfit or behaviour.

It's the same with the internet, a forum, facebook or twitter. If you use it, you expose yourself and you get in danger of being abused. You have to ask yourself if you are prepared to live with the dark side of the coin.
If you take the bright side you must also take the risk to see the other. It is the risk of life.

September 12, 2013 8:41 am  #9

It just seems that actors who choose to keep private things private are - according to the media - the odd ones out and the egocentric and difficult ones. That's just daft.

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 12, 2013 8:42 am)

September 12, 2013 8:52 am  #10

That's the thing. They get analysed and categorised as prickly or complicated like in Benedict's case. Apart from all this I think it is quite an honest interview, that's what I like about it. No sugarcoating here. 

September 12, 2013 10:47 am  #11

Still didn't have time to read it, but I now printed it out on unsuspicious paper so I can read it during *cough, cough* my *cough* work-time *cough, cough*. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 12, 2013 2:14 pm  #12

*passes Mattlocked a cough drop*

I hope Ben can keep a balance with the press.  Lord knows he's been charming and open in nearly every interview I've ever seen him in.  But as has been said before I do not believe he owes me every detail of his private life just because I'm a fan of his work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 12, 2013 2:42 pm  #13

I'm reading this awful interview now..  (though to say interview is kind; it seemed to be more of bullying session than a conversation)...and was drawn up short by this quote:

"[Ben] seems both part of this world and removed from it, with an old-fashioned liking for books" (my emphasis)

Come again?  "Liking books" is old fashioned?  Hollywood is disgusting to me all to often.  On behalf of all the Americans on the Forum, I'd like to offer an apology!   

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

September 12, 2013 2:58 pm  #14

Not really a bullying session as such but nothing new revealed really, except that Benedict does to suffer fools gladly and that he is a real gentleman. I disagree that he may have to sacrifivpce his privacy in order to become a big star. Firstly, that assumes that he does, in fact, WANT to become a big star...there was me thinking that he was an actor because he loves his craft!  secondly, it takes as a given that ALL big stars have sacrificed their privacy...this is nonsense!

Harrow is a Public school NOT NOT NOT a private school! They are NOT NOT NOT the same thing! And did the journalist HAVE to mention it twice?

Love the passion for skydiving and riding motorbikes at maniac speeds...this is garnered by the skydiving photos last year and the fact that he sometimes wears biker gear because he rides a motorbike around London!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 12, 2013 3:23 pm  #15

teaEarlGrayhot wrote:

I'm reading this awful interview now..  (though to say interview is kind; it seemed to be more of bullying session than a conversation)...and was drawn up short by this quote:

"[Ben] seems both part of this world and removed from it, with an old-fashioned liking for books" (my emphasis)

Come again?  "Liking books" is old fashioned?  Hollywood is disgusting to me all to often.  On behalf of all the Americans on the Forum, I'd like to offer an apology!   

I know, right? I thought exactly the same! "WTF!?!? "old-fashioned"??" 

And - did I get it right? It says that he doesn't like internet, that he even finds it, in other words, "disgusting"? Or did I get something wrong there? Just can't believe that he said it that way. Right, he once said he's an "old soul", but I don't think that he would prefer the internet wouldn't exist!?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 12, 2013 3:57 pm  #16

I think the interview may have been made at a time when he was quite fed up with the media. Must have been about the time when there was the horrible Daily Mail article and the Facebook publication of the marriage photos. During one of the Toronto interviews he hinted at the fact that the person had posted them without asking. We all know that the Internet can be used for many positive things but also to spread rumour and gossip. Think of the twittering neighbour of his. 
His attitude may seem a bit harsh but maybe it was just getting a bit too much for him. In his thank you address after his birthday he politely told people to care for those next to them and try to make those happy that are really in need of support.  
Finally I think maybe he regards himself still as an actor and not as a star evoking such strong reactions in teenage girls flattering as they may be. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 12, 2013 4:53 pm)

September 12, 2013 4:12 pm  #17

Davina wrote:

Firstly, that assumes that he does, in fact, WANT to become a big star...there was me thinking that he was an actor because he loves his craft! secondly, it takes as a given that ALL big stars have sacrificed their privacy...this is nonsense!

Well, he can become a big star and still be an actor who loves his craft, can't he? I guess it depends on the choices he makes. If he continues to choose 'important' projects and not just blockbuster projects, then, well... then I believe that he can have both.

September 14, 2013 1:33 am  #18

Davina wrote:

Harrow is a Public school NOT NOT NOT a private school! They are NOT NOT NOT the same thing!

That's becaus ein many countries they use opposite terms!

In Australia public schools are open to everyone and private schools for those with $$.. I understand it is the reverse meaning in the UK?

September 14, 2013 3:25 am  #19

So, are we all agreed that  Stephen Galloway can kiss our collective behinds?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 16, 2013 4:32 am  #20

tonnaree wrote:

So, are we all agreed that  Stephen Galloway can kiss our collective behinds?

God, no.

Board footera