BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2012 1:15 pm  #1

Weekly Sherlock Quiz (22/03/12)

So I've decided to start holding a weekly Sherlock related quiz. Perhaps we could take it in turns to supply the questions, so that everyone gets a chance to both ask and answer. They can be BBC or Canon related...I think the canon ones are probably harder and therefore more fun.

I took these off the Sherlock Holmes Museum website. Some of them were very easy like "who is Sherlock's landlady", so I missed those out.

1. Where did Sherlock Holmes keep his tobacco?
2. What was the curious incident of the dog in the night time?
3. The original Bruce Partington plans are referring to what specifically?
4. What type of horse drawn carriages were popular in Victorian times and featured heavily in the stories?
5. Between what years did Holmes reside at Baker Street?
6. Apart from playing the violin, doing experiments and solving crimes, what other hobby did Holmes enjoy?
7. According to Dr Watson's account, what year was "The Legend of the Hound of the Baskervilles" written?
8. Which publication first featured a Sherlock Holmes story and what year was it published?
9. Where are the Reichenbach Falls?
10. What degree did Moriarty study at University?

OK, 10 questions should be enough for now. Maybe eventually we can give prizes to the most correct answers but at the moment it's just for fun! 

BUMPED THIS IN CASE ANY NEWCOMERS WOULD LIKE TO TRY THE QUIZ.
*****WARNING, SPOILERS BELOW WHERE WE'VE LISTED ANSWERS.********

Last edited by kazza474 (May 23, 2012 3:50 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 22, 2012 4:41 pm  #2

Re: Weekly Sherlock Quiz (22/03/12)

Apparently can't seem to find a way to use spoiler tags here so here it is:

1) Slipper, that's why it was a fun nod to canon when Benedict's Sherlock looks in it (When John has them hidden under the skull)

2) A dog got stabbed and an autistic boy takes a train to London.

3) Submarine plans of some sort.

4) Cabbies (Handsome ones to boot!)

5) 1887 - 1893 and then 1895 till ???

6) Boxing, fencing, smoking (And drugs) and later in life bee-keeping.

7) That's beyond me without cheating.

8) The Strand, 1887(?)

9) Switzerland (Alps)

10) Mathematics.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

March 22, 2012 11:44 pm  #3

Wow. I think I could only have answered 1, 4 and 8. I haven't read all the canon books yet. Must get onto that!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 23, 2012 5:10 am  #4

#1. His slipper.
#2. The dog did not bark. This was in "Silver Blaze'. The dog did not bark because he was familiar with the one who did the crime.
#3. Submarine plans.
#4. Hansom Cab
#5. 1881 to 1900(and something)... maybe 1905? I know when he moved in and I think it was 25 years he was there?
#6. Bee Keeping. In the stories, he eventually retired to bee keeping.
#7. 1742. It was the legend that was read to Holmes & Watson at the start.
#8. It was a Christmas annual , Beet-something or rather, no idea what year though. The Strand published it later on a more permanent basis.
#9. Switzerland
#10. Mathematics.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 7:59 pm  #5

A few more days left on the quiz...I will reveal the answers on Wednesday, but who would like to volunteer to provide the questions for next weeks quiz? 10 questions, anything Sherlock related.

March 28, 2012 10:53 am  #6

OK, so it's the end of the week, and here are the answers:

1. Where did Sherlock Holmes keep his tobacco?
In his slipper

2. What was the curious incident of the dog in the night time?
It didn't bark

3. The original Bruce Partington plans are referring to what specifically?
Submarine plans

4. What type of horse drawn carriages were popular in Victorian times and featured heavily in the stories?
Hansom cabs

5. Between what years did Holmes reside at Baker Street?
1881-1904

6. Apart from playing the violin, doing experiments and solving crimes, what other hobby did Holmes enjoy?
I was thinking specifically of beekeeping

7. According to Dr Watson's account, what year was "The Legend of the Hound of the Baskervilles" written?

8. Which publication first featured a Sherlock Holmes story and what year was it published?
Beeton's Christmas Annual 1887

9. Where are the Reichenbach Falls?
Switzerland

10. What degree did Moriarty study at University?
Mathematics

And the winner, with the most correct answers is Kazza. Well done! 

So...who wants to volunteer to run this weeks quiz? Start a new topic called "Weekly Sherlock Quiz" and the Date....10 questions, anything Sherlock related.

March 28, 2012 11:03 am  #7

TY
I am off to bed soon then work; so it'll be 16 hours or so till I can make one; if someone does one meantime that is fine.

I'll make one when I get home & can always keep it till next week.
PLEASE everyone have a turn & start making one up to post as needed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 23, 2012 3:50 am  #8

Bumping this for newcomers to try some quizzing

I hope I made the first post big enough now to cover the answers being revealed.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera