BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2013 2:53 pm  #1

Benedict in Star Wars Episode VII?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2013 3:05 pm  #2

Re: Benedict in Star Wars Episode VII?

Ha! After Episodes I-III Star Wars was deader than dead to me, but with Abrams doing it, I already was quite interested in it again. Now if  Mister Cumberbatch should be on board, in whatever role... wow. That would be even more wow than just wow.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 2, 2013 3:08 pm  #3

Honestly, I'm a bit in two minds about this. I am not a big SW fan and I thought the story was complete but let's see what they make of it. And I had secretly hoped he had dropped out of "Crimson Peak" for a bit of theatre work. But with a really good script and a really good part for Benedict and really good costumes I will give it a try. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2013 4:08 pm  #4

Well, I definitely like Star Trek a lot better than Star Wars, but I always enjoyed the three movies with Harrison Ford. Let's not talk about episodes I-III, though. And I think that if there is anyone who could do something really good with Star Wars now, that would undoubtedly be Abrams. So, even without Benedict involved I'd be quite curious to see what he comes up with. Benedict would certainly be an extra incentive for me, but you're right, in the end the story has to be good, otherwise it'll be a waste of time.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 2, 2013 6:20 pm  #5

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, I definitely like Star Trek a lot better than Star Wars, but I always enjoyed the three movies with Harrison Ford. Let's not talk about episodes I-III, though. And I think that if there is anyone who could do something really good with Star Wars now, that would undoubtedly be Abrams. So, even without Benedict involved I'd be quite curious to see what he comes up with. Benedict would certainly be an extra incentive for me, but you're right, in the end the story has to be good, otherwise it'll be a waste of time.  

I quite agree with you. :o)

I wonder, what a 'new' storyline could be. Surely Abrams and his team won't come up with another alternative timeline?
Perhaps they are going for the Thrawn-Trilogy by Sci-Fi writer Timothy Zahn? I had read the books at the time they were first published in germany and liked them a lot.
An adaptation would be amazing and it offers a few characters, whom BC could be playing, even Luke Skywalker. (!) Edit: mark my words. ;o))

But for now, his involvement ist yet to be serious confirmed.

Last edited by reality check (September 2, 2013 7:32 pm)

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

September 2, 2013 6:53 pm  #6

I am so excited about this.  I'd love to see him as a Han Solo type character mostly x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

September 2, 2013 8:14 pm  #7

Oh no! I mean he will be brilliant in everything, but oh no!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 2, 2013 8:20 pm  #8

Agree, Ivy! I hope this won't be confirmed - bbrrrrrrrrrr

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 2, 2013 8:25 pm  #9

I seriously doubt it.  Besides, names constantly swirl around big projects...doesn't mean anything until they are confirmed.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 2, 2013 8:34 pm  #10

Hopefully. Besides, I like your new avatar (today, 10:25) 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 2, 2013 8:37 pm  #11

I would be glad if it wasn't confirmed. But it is strange that he quit "Crimson Peak" which allegedly would be filming at the same time. What about some Shakespeare? Would be worth a trip to London. 

September 2, 2013 8:49 pm  #12

Shakespeare and Ben sounds much better to me than Star Wars.
Don't know.... it's just too..... big. Doesn't "fit", somehow.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 2, 2013 8:51 pm  #13

It's not too big for him. It's too small 

September 2, 2013 8:51 pm  #14

Until today I've successfully dodged all things Star Wars.
Should I finally be forced dealing with it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 2, 2013 8:52 pm  #15

And he once said he does not want to repeat himself.  

September 2, 2013 9:46 pm  #16

SusiGo wrote:

And he once said he does not want to repeat himself.  

Well, this is a tricky statement, wouldn't you agree? ;o))

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

September 2, 2013 10:17 pm  #17

Tobe, is that a little Star Wars joke?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 3, 2013 12:39 am  #18

The original Star Wars trilogy changed my life and cemented my Geek status.  Love is not too strong a word.

That said I don't want BC in it just because he's a hot item right now.  If the script had a good part that would alllow him to stretch his skills that would be brilliant.  But I would never want his appearance to be a Sherlock in Star Wars!!!!!! gimmick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 3, 2013 8:10 am  #19

Good, that I'm not alone. He's too talented for such stuff as Star Wars. And 6 films are more than enough and it's not even George Lucas anymore. Hollywood has no ideas, they only produce tons of sequels of every half-decent (or stupid) films or make remakes of film classics or TV shows.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 3, 2013 8:56 am  #20

Ivy wrote:

Good, that I'm not alone. He's too talented for such stuff as Star Wars. And 6 films are more than enough and it's not even George Lucas anymore. Hollywood has no ideas, they only produce tons of sequels of every half-decent (or stupid) films or make remakes of film classics or TV shows.

Well, that's probably personal taste, but Episodes I-III were George Lucas and they were crap, IMHO. Like I said, Abrams is probably the only director in Hollywood right now who might be able to do something great with it. That said, I would definitely prefer him to do something completely original and new, but it seems that won't happen for a while.
I'd like to believe though that Mister Cumberbatch would only wanna be part of this if they'd offer him an interesting, somewhat original part.

Personally, I'd like to see Benedict in something completely different anyway, but that's totally off topic here...

Board footera