BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2013 6:59 pm  #21

Re: WHAT CULTURE!: 4 Things Everyone Wants From Sherlock

Eh, I more or less agree with them, but I may not have put it so bluntly.  There's nothing wrong with fanfiction in my mind, but I have seen people get very aggressive about the perceived overtones of a homosexual relationship, where there is clearly not one.  The points are valid, but the supporting arguments are rubbish.  For instance, in the author's point about Sherlock being wrong, the author indicated Sherlock having broken a code for Irene Adler as an instance of his never being wrong, when the whole point of that scene was that he made a huge miscalcuation and gave very important information to the enemy- which Mycroft then roasts him for doing.  He's been wrong on many occasions, like with the drugs in the sugar in THoB.  John even points it out to him "You got it wrong" and Sherlock says "Just a little", reluctant to admit it, but he knows he was wrong.

I've stated it before, but I will again, since this is the thread for it:

I want to see something happen to Sherlock where HE'S the one in trouble.  We always see it the other way around, so let's see what our hero being mortal for once.  Who doesn't love to see their hero beat up a bit?  And maybe that could give John a chance to really shine.  So, that's what I want to see.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 10, 2013 7:04 pm  #22

@Kerkerian: Love this one! You could make a nice short fic out of this. 

@sj4ly: I agree with you. Some dramatic situation in which Sherlock has to be resuced in some way or other by John would be highly appreciated. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2013 7:05 pm  #23

Kerkerian wrote:

Sherlock: "You're all obsessed! I'm not going to hug or kiss anyone (not even John)!"
Fandom: "But-"
Sherlock: "No buts!"
John (puppy eyes): "But-"
Sherlock: "Shhhh- not now! I'm pretending not to be interested so they'll leave us in peace!"
Fandom: "We heard that!"
Sherlock: "Okay. This calls for desperate measures..."

Fandom: "WTF?- Argh! My internet just broke!"
Sherlock: "Hehehe- come here, gorgeou- I mean, John."
John: "As you wish..."

I'm in! 

Last edited by Harriet (September 10, 2013 7:08 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 10, 2013 8:35 pm  #24

SusiGo wrote:

13. a very flattering super soft Cashmere sweater for John

...and with stripes, right?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 10, 2013 8:37 pm  #25

A midnight blue one without any pattern would be welcome, too. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2013 8:39 pm  #26

And how about claret? Would claret be also fine?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 10, 2013 8:40 pm  #27

Midnight blue would definitely go extremely well with The Purple Shirt of Sex.

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 10, 2013 8:41 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 10, 2013 8:42 pm  #28

Right, claret not  . Thanks, Solar 

September 10, 2013 8:50 pm  #29

Well, Harriet, maybe Sherlock could go for a shirt in midnight blue, then John could go for the claret sweater...?

September 10, 2013 8:51 pm  #30

Fine with me. 

September 10, 2013 9:21 pm  #31

With me as well. Especially if they make it in b/w which is even nicer 

September 10, 2013 9:24 pm  #32

I support the black shirt!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 10, 2013 9:29 pm  #33

Since Sherlock is not Benedict, he will be happy owning several shirts 

September 10, 2013 9:43 pm  #34

Harriet wrote:

Since Sherlock is not Benedict, he will be happy owning several shirts

There's nothing against wearing one's favourite shirt to death. Just saying...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 10, 2013 9:48 pm  #35

Agree, it's just different styles - and I love Benedict for doing so 

September 11, 2013 1:14 am  #36

Sorry for coming back to the whatculture-post, but I have to let off some steam...

I think the author mostly got it wrong. I mean, "things EVERYONE" wants to see in series 3 refers to the people who watch it. And well the people who watch, those who love it - the fans - consist of quite a lot of people who ship Johnlock. If the writer doesn't get that he is just ignorant.
Apart from that the hints at Sherlock's and John's relationship being more than a normal friendship are more or less canon. Literary scholars take a gay relationship between the two in consideration and with the whole situation translated into a contemporary setting it makes even more sense.

I disagree with the part about nudity. I think the author of this article just doesn't get that nudity can be used in an artistic way that is not cheap. I think especially the scene with Irene was handled very well. Within her psychological games and the effects she must have on Sherlock and the other characters, letting her go bare was the right idea. And I think the scene is not in the least cheap but rather classy (also owing to the fact that Lara Pulver holds herself very well).
Now the scene with the sheet may be a completely different thing. That was plain fanservice, but hey, what's the problem with that?! I'm a fan and I like being serviced. I deserve it. ^^ So, f*** off and let me see his butt!

I actually want to see John's wife and Sherlock being wrong but for different reasons than the author.
Both things have potential to develop the characters and their relationship. I already like the direction they took with this in the second series. So I want to see them grow even a little more.
And let's be honest, it's wonderful when Sherlock is wrong! I love to see him suffer a bit. It's grounding... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanfd I'm evil ^^

Thus I agree with sj4iy. I want to see Sherlock get in trouble and some angsty stuff and then some comfort in the form of hugs (maybe kisses...).
And I totally want to see John punch Sherlock in the face again. O_O

September 11, 2013 7:58 am  #37

Kampffusselchen wrote:

I disagree with the part about nudity. I think the author of this article just doesn't get that nudity can be used in an artistic way that is not cheap. I think especially the scene with Irene was handled very well. Within her psychological games and the effects she must have on Sherlock and the other characters, letting her go bare was the right idea. And I think the scene is not in the least cheap but rather classy (also owing to the fact that Lara Pulver holds herself very well).
Now the scene with the sheet may be a completely different thing. That was plain fanservice, but hey, what's the problem with that?! I'm a fan and I like being serviced. I deserve it. ^^ So, f*** off and let me see his butt!

I don't think the sheet scene was plain fanservice. Well, a bit, but it was more than that. It describes Sherlock's personality.
He is portrayed as unconventional and stubborn. Maybe he knows that Mycroft was behind the abduction to Buckingham Palace and he just didn't want to back down. He possibly wanted to annoy his brother, preferably in front of other people.
Mycroft looks like a person who is a more conventional type who deeply cares about his conception in society. With his performance Sherlock gives a display about his "I don't care what people think".
We know that we need that in TRF.

September 11, 2013 11:50 am  #38

Swanpride wrote:

I'm actually not a Johnlock shipper, but I doubt that it makes any difference. You can enjoy the epic bromance just as well without wanting the two kiss. And I don't care what so called literary scholars say (some of them like to read a gay subtext into everything), The sign of four is pretty clear where the two stand. Holmes simply doesn't do relationships, and Watson has a great appreciation for the female gender in general and is head over heals for Mary Morstan in particular.

I agree 100%.  Holmes just ISN'T sexual, and Watson very much prefers woman.  I don't know what subtext there is that states the two are gay, but I guess not everyone can accept a close relationship between two men without thinking there's a motive behind it.  I sometimes wonder why we don't think the same of women.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

September 11, 2013 12:19 pm  #39

sj4iy wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I'm actually not a Johnlock shipper, but I doubt that it makes any difference. You can enjoy the epic bromance just as well without wanting the two kiss. And I don't care what so called literary scholars say (some of them like to read a gay subtext into everything), The sign of four is pretty clear where the two stand. Holmes simply doesn't do relationships, and Watson has a great appreciation for the female gender in general and is head over heals for Mary Morstan in particular.

I agree 100%.  Holmes just ISN'T sexual, and Watson very much prefers woman.  I don't know what subtext there is that states the two are gay, but I guess not everyone can accept a close relationship between two men without thinking there's a motive behind it.  I sometimes wonder why we don't think the same of women.

A close relationship between women is much more socially accepted because of traditional role concepts, therefore normal in people's minds.

September 11, 2013 6:50 pm  #40

A great article. I could have written it myself. If I was to win an award for "the most laughable article in the internet's history that can only be justified with hardcore satire."

"Not that there’s anything wrong with homosexuality, mind you, but even Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman have expressed their discomfort with this trend."
Have they? Not that I'm informed. Benedict has even made a statement that he wouldn't mind kissing Martin for the show. Probably the author of the text would explain that with sarcasm being such an obvious character trait of Benedict's. Sure.

The third point is just stupid, Irene's nude scene was handled well and everyone else in this universe will agree with that unless they haven't seen the show. 

The picture of Molly is totally out of place. Unless the author wanted to imply something really stupid that no one in the fandom is willing to understand. Yes, I am also looking forward to seeing Mary Morstan but for different reasons than the author. I am curious about her character and how she will develope and fit in that story, whether she is a sidekick or a rival to Sherlock or probably both. And apart from that I simply support Amanda Abbington in that role.

I actually want to see Sherlock being totally smart again, so I wouldn't put that "being wrong" in the first place because we have already seen him being wrong. So, what's wrong with that...

Could we please have a devotional minute of silence for that masterpiece of online journalism.

Last edited by Mary Me (September 11, 2013 6:55 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera