BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2012 12:04 am  #1

Activities for the Hiatus

Sherlock won't have new episodes any time soon, and this place may soon wear all possible conversation thin. People will leave during the Sherlockless months that lie ahead of us, and who says they'll remember to come back when series 3 hits? I have already seen one Sherlock forum die during the Series 1-Series 2 hiatus, and I don't want to see it happen here.

I think the answer may lie in organizing activities for the members here, such as a contest for fan-created content (fan fiction, art, videos, etc.). It would give us something to do, something to discuss, and would attract even more creative people to the forum.

March 22, 2012 1:32 am  #2

Re: Activities for the Hiatus

Harry - that sounds like a great idea.

Do you mean a contest where people submit things like fan art and videos which then get voted on, or a competition type thing where people win fan created material as a prize?

I'm considering the possibility of doing a Sherlock quiz...and if we include canon questions there could be endless possibilities on that one.

It's a shame we all live in so many different countries otherwise we could have arranged a meet up...although perhaps a virtual meet might be an idea we could consider.

Any ideas and suggestions to keep this place alive till Series 3 and beyond are most welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 22, 2012 1:53 am  #3

I think canon stuff can keep us going for a while. Maybe we should start pulling apart original ACD plots!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 22, 2012 2:26 am  #4

We could take a story then come up with ideas as to how it might be modernised and done in the Sherlock style.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 22, 2012 2:57 am  #5

^^ I likes it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 22, 2012 4:07 am  #6

And we could have like a book club type thing where each week we pick a particular ACD story to read then come back and discuss it together once everyone's read it.

March 22, 2012 5:34 am  #7

OOOOOH Yes I likes it a lot.

I suggest we start with The Empty House...because...well, c'mon as if they're not gonna do it? Or at least parts of it?

And the more I think about The Empty House and how it could be implemented, the more convinced I am that the sniper is Moran....but it's probably not. Cause y'know. Moftiss like to f with our heads.

Last edited by Wholocked (March 22, 2012 5:34 am)

March 22, 2012 8:17 am  #8

I like all these ideas 

Also, we could make a subforum (I'm not sure that is the word, sorry) with games, like quote games, and stuff like that. I've seen that kind of things keep a los of forums alive 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 22, 2012 9:07 am  #9

Well we do have the Sherlock Games section...we can post all that kind of stuff in there...I'll start thinking of some quiz questions today and I'll do the Book Club topic too.

March 22, 2012 1:07 pm  #10

harry lime, film student, me likes it. Third Man - wonderful movie! Music induces shivers!
I agree - would be nice to keep this place alive, now we've met from all over the world. We are probably a very diverse crowd, but it turned out already, that many of us have common interests. But almost TWO years to while away! Anyway, I'll search my brain for ideas, because, Sherlock, you created a nice meeting place. All the tumblrs, which sprouted after 'Reichenbach' are not very practical for indepth communication.And how awsome could it be to compare and laugh about all our wacky thoughts, when we virtually meet again after the airing of episode 1/3. Like a high school reunion, lol!

March 22, 2012 2:31 pm  #11

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Do you mean a contest where people submit things like fan art and videos which then get voted on, or a competition type thing where people win fan created material as a prize?

The first, people submitting their own works, and members of the forum voting for their favorites.

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

And we could have like a book club type thing where each week we pick a particular ACD story to read then come back and discuss it together once everyone's read it.

Good idea. My knowledge of the ACD stories needs improving, anyway.

Last edited by Harry Lime (March 22, 2012 2:33 pm)

May 22, 2012 9:40 pm  #12

I see  we've started a lot of games and stuff...but no one has done a SH  quiz yet.   There are threads,  but they haven't been updated.   ????  Yeah....I  live in USA  and I've just seen the 3rd ep  of S2,  and I'm already having withdrawal syptoms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 22, 2012 10:37 pm  #13

We've had two SH quizzes so far (I think they're in the Games section), but we do need another one....were you volunteering?

May 23, 2012 1:35 am  #14

SH  plz check your PM  ok?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 9, 2012 11:20 pm  #15

I'm wondering something---during this long hiatus between series,  could we do  a book  club type thing?  I  noticed we have  book club dates  threads over on the games section-I also noticed there's not much activity on those threads lately....-could we  do  something with opening a BOOK  STUDY  forum section?  We could agree to read  one  or  two  stories  of the sherlock  kind, per week,   and just  have fun chatting about your observations  views of the stories.   Thoughts anyone?  I'm  interested.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 9, 2012 11:24 pm  #16

Hmmm.

July 10, 2012 6:42 am  #17

That actually sounds very interesting.... although maybe 1-2 stories a week is too ambitious (after all, we are all on different schedules, time zones etc), maybe choose one story, announce it as "book of the week" and then see how it goes?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 10, 2012 7:04 am  #18

Great thread - I'd hate to lose you guys during the wait for series 3. Don't know if I could write fan fiction but I like the idea of a book club. Story of the week or something like that. And I like it when people comment on books they've read, we could do more of this. And a virtual meet-up would be fine. How's it done, on Skype? Whatever keeps us going.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 13, 2012 4:40 pm  #19

Yes---  and there IS a book thread  where we can chat about  our  non- sherlock books that we're reading--the forum  is  called THE DIOGENES CLUB  and the  board  section  is BOOKS.  There's a general thread,  for ALL books,  there's a thread for childhood  books,  a thread for certain books that are popular worldwide  (Harry Potter,  LOTR, etc)  and just...threads,  etc.     

I  was thinking  one story  a week,  too.   It would be HERE,  and  on  a thread/topic,   and not on skype.  My  PC  is not set up for skyping.  This way,  we in different time zones  (why can't the world be FLAT?)  can  post,  to  our heart's leisure.  I love the idea  of  titling the topic as   book of the week,  and then  putting the 4  letters of the book  on the title line.  (Example--Scandal in Bohemia would be  SCAN)  It won't be dated in the title--  this way,  new members can find them,  and they can  take up  where we left off later.   

But I won't start it  until I've gotten permission,  and I need to take a look  inside the other book threads,  and maybe have those locked  or re-used.   So,  please give me a little time.   As Sherlock (BC)  once said in that dreamy voice of his..."Do your Research"

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 13, 2012 4:44 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 13, 2012 6:06 pm  #20

I'm going to be figuring out how not to wait the extra six months to see it in the US.
Also, watching other British mysteries -- a new Inspector Lewis just started.
And, although it's not the same, watching White Collar.

Board footera