BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2013 9:56 am  #1

Names in "Sherlock"

Right now I think about names used in Sherlock. I got the impression that they are not random choices.
I think it is fun to work around them and figure it out. So I try an example:

Gregory Lestrade:
It is on the one hand a combination of Gregson and Lestrade, the two famous police officers in canon.
On the other hand there is possibly a bit more:

SHERLOCK: Oh, this is Mycroft, isn’t it?
LESTRADE: No, look ...
SHERLOCK: Of course it is! One mention of Baskerville and he sends down my handler to ... to spy on me incognito. Is that why you’re calling yourself Greg?
JOHN: That’s his name.
SHERLOCK (frowning): Is it?

(quote according to ariadnedevere.livejournal.com)

Why "Greg" or Gregory?
The name is of greek origin. Its meaning is "gregoros" the observer, watchful, be on guard. And suddenly Sherlock's comment about spying and the name makes sense.

August 14, 2013 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Names in "Sherlock"

Interesting.

I didn't know Gregory's etymology and to be honest, I've always wondered what Sherlock meant by "is that why you're calling yourself Greg?". I just assumed that he was convinced Greg coudn't be Lestrade's real name but was a fake name he used to be incognito. Yet, I thought Sherlock's reaction to that first name was kinda weird. Now it makes much more sense. Thanks for sharing

Just like old times...

August 15, 2013 8:21 am  #3

The names from canon are used to salute Doyle of course and to address characters in the adaptation.
There are a lot of characters with new invented names. Take "Sally Donovan". 
Sally is a form of Sarah; petname. Nice touch to give her a sweet petname when she is really awful.
Donovan is from Irish or Gaelic origin and the meaning is dark, brown-haired chieftain.
They possibly chose an actress with dark skin (also in the pilot) because she was meant to hint at Sherlock's dark side and reveal it.

August 15, 2013 11:16 am  #4

This, from the Lion's Mane:

When at last I returned to the body I found that a little group of wandering folk had gathered round it. Stackhurst was, of course, still there, and Ian Murdoch had just arrived with Anderson, the village constable, a big, ginger-moustached man of the slow, solid Sussex breed - a breed which covers much good sense under a heavy, silent exterior. He listened to everything, took note of all we said, and finally drew me aside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 15, 2013 12:11 pm  #5

Swanpride wrote:

I know, but the Anderson described in The Lion's Mane is so different from the one in the show...he reminds me more of the policeman in The Sign of the Four, who keeps jumpung to wrong conclusions and treat Sherlock Holmes very dismissive.

I agree with you, but I'm looking forward to see Anderson say something similar to that policeman's complement(which is part of my signature).

August 15, 2013 4:23 pm  #6

Wow!! I just want to say "THANK YOU!" I learned so much from you people! 

-------------------------------------------------
--------
“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell? Who could come to-night? Some friends of yours, perhaps?”

“Except yourself I have none,” he answered.

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Five Orange PipsThe Adventures of Sherlock Holms

Board footera