BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2015 10:44 pm  #841

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

How many fanfic stories have you already read? Do you read daily / weekly / monthly? Say, like one a week? One a month? More, less?

I just checked my list where I saved some fanfic I have already read, and it's longer than I expected... I really wonder how many fanfics one reads in a year. "Normal" books, I read one book a week or sth like that. With fanfiction, I think it might be more?? Is that normal? ;-)

Oh, I also like "Be here now".

Last edited by Whisky (June 17, 2015 10:45 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 12:44 am  #842

mrshouse wrote:

May I mention that I find Sherlock or John with tentacles extremely disturbing? Or worse, one of them is pregnant.....
Sorry for being OT yet again...

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Runs screaming)

June 18, 2015 7:34 am  #843

Whisky, it seems I have read about 60 on my reader and of course some more (short ones) online.
I'm a slow reader who doesn't have much time for reading but reads a couple of pages a day, neglecting other books.

(I honestly don't know what to do about the 400 and 600 pages long fics piling up 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 18, 2015 7:56 am  #844

Whisky: Hundreds. I try to balance reading other books and fanfics but if I get hooked on a fic I just forget the other ones. So more or less daily. 

No idea if this is normal, but if you are happy with it, it is fine. That is at least my philosophy. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2015 9:01 am  #845

I have no idea how many fics I've read. I'm a bit picky when it comes to Johnlock and will only read the ones I find interesting (and will drop the ones I don't like for whatever reason and not finish them). I don't have as much time as I would like to read either. I would say I read weekly. Sometimes I might not read anything for a week or two, sometimes I will finish a multi-chapter one in a day or two, doing little else than reading.

I will usually give kudos to any fic I like enough to complete reading it, so if there were a stat on AO3 on how many fics you have given kudos to, that would've been a good indicator for me. As it is, I will have to give a guesstimate. Erm, hard to say really. 80-100? Just guesing, really.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 18, 2015 9:11 am  #846

I did some what I would call "binge-reading" for quite a while and read dozens and dozens of fics in a pretty short amount of time. Then there came the point where I just had enough, and I'd say I haven't read anything in two or three months. It'll change again, I'm sure, but at the moment I'm afraid I'm too addicted to, yeah, well, "binge-watching" various TV series. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 18, 2015 9:21 am  #847

SusiGo wrote:

Whisky: Hundreds.

That's what I needed to hear ;-) Now I can feel perfectly happy with my list of 100+
Of course it's okay as long as it's fun, but I just wanted to know if you also do this... excessive reading of fanfic (at least it feels like this to me). Probably I should have known, as everything fan-ish has a touch of excessive :D

Last edited by Whisky (June 18, 2015 9:21 am)

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 9:30 am  #848

Whisky, just take a look at the quote from David Tennant in my signature. It's all fine. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 18, 2015 9:32 am  #849

Quite right, solar :D never saw your quote there.
That's a comforting source indeed :-)

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 9:41 am  #850

That's exactly what I was thinking. 

June 18, 2015 10:50 am  #851

I guess I'm at something like 200 (given that the Canon Addicts collection has over a 100 and I believe I have read almost all of them). But a) I've always been a fast reader (100 pages/hour in my native language on paper - much less on screen). b) most fanfics are not book length.

If a story doesn't convince me I don't have any qualms about dropping it, either. If only one percent of the stories on AO3 are wonderful, that means 700 great  stories - no need to waste time with any I don't really like.

June 18, 2015 10:54 am  #852

I'm glad there are still so many great stories left to read... but I must also admit I cannot wait for a new series so there will be more of brandnew fanfic.

But I also feel there is not as much new fanfic after series 3, compared to after series 2? Do you think that's true? Or I just haven't found them all?

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 11:11 am  #853

Give people a bit of time to write! Wasn't there something like two years between series 2 and 3? I'm hopeful that some great stories are being written while we are having this discussion here

June 18, 2015 12:23 pm  #854

Whiskey, I could not tell you how many fanfics I've read in  3 years in the fandom, but I can tell you that they've all brought me a lot of happiness.  I read a bit of fic almost daily.  And between the ones on my Kindle and my "marked for later" list at Ao3 I also have hundreds.  I check AO3 daily for new stuff to put on the list.
The nice thing about reading material is it has no experation date!

Don't worry about "normal."  Normal is a concept invented by people who want you to confomr to their idea of living.    I gave it up years ago! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 18, 2015 12:41 pm  #855

Maybe I should have said "healthy" instead of normal  Normal is indeed a boring concept - glad you gave it up, tonnaree! I'm putting it into the bin right now, see? *drop* now, where is that next fanfic to read...

(I'm pretty sure it's unhealthy to let my eyes read so much text on a computer screen, so maybe I should get myself an e-book-reader....)

Last edited by Whisky (June 18, 2015 12:43 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 12:53 pm  #856

Whisky wrote:

Maybe I should have said "healthy" instead of normal  Normal is indeed a boring concept - glad you gave it up, tonnaree! I'm putting it into the bin right now, see? *drop* now, where is that next fanfic to read...

(I'm pretty sure it's unhealthy to let my eyes read so much text on a computer screen, so maybe I should get myself an e-book-reader....)

I LOVE being able to download fics to my Kindle.  In the early days, like back when I was addicted to X-Files fic, I would be sneaky and print them out at work.  (bad tonnaree bad)   I killed a lot of trees! 
Now downloading them is not only an easy way to haul them around but the best way to keep my favorites for rereading.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 18, 2015 12:59 pm  #857

haha, I also printed out fanfiction when I started reading it, and I remember the questions where all the paper had gone. really a bit bad if it's a novel length story :D
But soon I'll have a tablet pc then at least I can carry around the stories... reading in front of a desk is not really comfy!

Sometimes I worry about what kind of knowledge I acquire while reading fanfiction... :D

Last edited by Whisky (June 18, 2015 1:00 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 18, 2015 1:03 pm  #858

I bought an ebook reader just for fanfic, it was worth the money.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 18, 2015 1:13 pm  #859

Reading is the most frequent use I put my Fonepad to. (You can see the Asus Fonepad either as a smartphone with 7"-screen and lousy camera or as a tablet with telephone capacity. I love it.) And I love AO3's download feature! Given that stories disappear from AO3 (does really nobody have a valid link for Albion and the Woodsman? Or any news of it being reworked as an original story for publication?) I consider it essential to have my favourites somewhere under my control.

June 18, 2015 1:13 pm  #860

In my opinion, any obsession becomes unhealthy when it takes over and ruin other parts of your life - job, school, chores, socializing with friends, relationship with family/partner... as long as all that is fine, people should do whatever they want with their spare time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera