BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2015 3:17 pm  #761

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

Glad to hear it! I think part 2 is even better.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 9:22 pm  #762

I have a question and it may be an odd one. 

My current fic has lately gotten some very keen readers; which I appreciate a lot! (when I started writing it I thought no one wanted to read a 'femslash' between Irene and an original character...)

But my problem is... these readers are shipping Irene and the young woman. And the relationship is so unhealthy and never meant to be a romantic involvement... it rather has some really creepy undertones of a "mother"/daughter type relationship with some chains, whips etc thrown into the mix. 

I have been very against '50 shades' because people are reading it as a love-story and glorifying what is actually domestic abuse... 

What do I do? I don't feel like changing my story because it all has a point... and I don't think it's wise to talk directly to these readers... I just don't feel comfortable with people 'shipping' this... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 12, 2015 9:39 pm  #763

My personal opinion:

It's your story and you should write it as you intended it to be. It's awesome that people like your story and that they read their own thing into it, but that shouldn't affect your original intent. Don't cater to them. If they really want to ship this, they can write their own story that's runs more in tune with what they have in their own heads.

I absolutely agree with you on your thoughts on 50 Shades, and I have the same views on it as you. I do believe, however, that it's only polite for a fic writer to reply to the comments they get. If it was me, I would - as politely as possible - thank them for their comment and appreciation, but add what your opinion of their relationship is. I see no harm in that whatsoever. 

It's your story, not theirs. If they want something out of it you are not providing, they can write their own - or go look for some Irene/fem ship that suits them more.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 12, 2015 9:40 pm  #764

I would let them Phantom if I were you - people will always ship unexpected ships, even if you didn´t plan them. It´s human nature. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 13, 2015 7:12 am  #765

Phantom, you write whatever you want, you paint the relationships you want and write about topics that are important to you. You don't write to please the others. Go on according to your own plan.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 13, 2015 10:26 am  #766

Thank you for the advice, ladies!

I don't want to judge and decide what people can or can not ship... I just want people to be more 'safe' I guess... but I'll keep writing and I think I'll refrain from commenting on the comments.

I suppose that's the danger of writing about BDSM in this day and age 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 13, 2015 10:58 am  #767

There's also a difference between what you might ship and endorse in a fanfic and what you go for in real life. I know that for me there's a great leap between fantasy and real life, so that might go for others as well.

I have a question: What does "There but for the grace of John Watson" mean? I am unable to really understand what the sentence/phrase means.

Team Hudders!

April 13, 2015 11:37 am  #768

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2015 11:44 am  #769

Ah, probably. Made it even more awesome. 

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 6:03 pm  #770

Wanted to tell you guys about something new.  Putting it here beacuse I don't think it needs a whole thread and it's kinda about fan fiction. 

Roane, author of the Sherlock as rockstar AU "Pull the Stars from the Sky" has taken her story and rewritten it with original characters.  She was able to get an agent and get it published as an ebook. 

It's available at Amazon for less than $5!

The Further I Fall by Lisa Nicholas
http://www.amazon.com/Farther-I-Fall-Lisa-Nicholas-ebook/dp/B00NUMIGNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1429207033&sr=1-1&keywords=lisa+nicholas+-+the+farther+i+fall

I have not read it yet but intend to soon.  I really enjoyed the original johnlock fic.  Thought the success and hard work of a fellow fan was worth celebrating.

Last edited by tonnaree (April 16, 2015 6:04 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2015 6:40 pm  #771

Haven't read it, but that is really good news! I love it when a fic author is so good they get the recognition and opportunity he/she deserves.

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 8:25 pm  #772

Don't know the story either, but it's great to know that talented people get the opportunity to puplish their work. I hope mad_lori will try something like that as well with PIALR one day, would be soooo much better than a certain ex-Twilight fan fiction  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 16, 2015 8:26 pm  #773

I would want the same for skyfullofstars and TBFTGOJW.

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 8:30 pm  #774

Thanks for posting, tonnaree. It is good to see that the author gets a chance at publishing a non-fanfic e-book. I have not read the fanfic yet but I wonder about one thing: in the fanfic it was about an M/M relationship between Sherlock and John. So why did she change it to a heterosexual relationship in the new story? Just wondering. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2015 9:04 pm  #775

Susi, she did admit that with this story she changed it for broader audiance appeal.  A little sad that she felt the need to do that but it was her choice.

Also, for those of you who don't know, Mad Lori does have an original published work.  I believe she adapted a story she wrote for the Brokeback Mountain fandom.

Zero to the Bone by Jane Seville

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1935192809/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28TEU107J7XKW&coliid=I3N1MMPGV8P66E

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 19, 2015 8:57 am  #776

I have a question. I see quite a few fics have a tag called "freeform". Do you guys know what that means?

Team Hudders!

April 19, 2015 10:07 am  #777

I'm new to fanfic and I have wondered this myself, so I googled and found this page http://selenay936.tumblr.com/post/48577961840/questions-have-been-asked-about-freeform-tags-on. Maybe it explains it, or maybe I should just let someone else answer 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 19, 2015 10:13 am  #778

Thanks for the link. So if I understood that correctly, freeform means that the author wrote a unique tag, and not a tag that already exists?

Team Hudders!

April 29, 2015 3:57 am  #779

SusiGo wrote:

I agree with all of them so far. 

So we have: 

Fanfic Hall of Fame

Silent Auror
wordstrings
Schmiezi
ivyblossom 
Prettyvk
Xistentialangst
Earlgreytea68
Verityburns

And what about Todesfuge?

I hope I didn't miss these guys anywhere but I have a couple recs for this.

Scullyseviltwin - they've been writing Johnlock for 3+ years and has a wide selection of multiple chapter fics as well as one shots. Triage is actually one of my all time fav fics.

Wendymarlowe - especially after the fandom within a fandom that her fic "Dear John" created. Plenty of other great works too.

Prettysailorsolider - because she is essentially the queen of kidlock/teenlock/unilock

These are just the ones that pop in my head right away, I'm sure I'll think of more once I'm at home.

April 30, 2015 10:50 pm  #780

I don't know if you have come across this, but sometimes I come across just a sentence or two in a fic that is so amazingly good, so incredibly well written that it manages to sum up a whole character or theme.

This was a sentence that stood out to me first time I read it:

"John seems to struggle with himself for a bit. Sherlock wonders if John Watson has ever been in a state of not-struggling with himself."

It blew my mind a bit, it just summed up a lot about John so effeciently and so well.

Last edited by Vhanja (April 30, 2015 10:51 pm)

Team Hudders!

Board footera