BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2015 10:54 am  #701

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

I can't do it. I read the first sentence of that fic and already I have tears in my eyes. It's too sad. Probably a very good, well-written fic, but I can't do it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 9, 2015 11:19 am  #702

Hi ladies, is there a thread where someone can help me find a fanfic that I read ages ago only I can't rememeber the title so I can find it again?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 9, 2015 11:26 am  #703

Ukaunz, you might be successful here:
http://fuckyeahjohnlockfanfic.tumblr.com/
Edit: I'm not sure though if it helps if you are looking for pairings other than johnlock. We have a relatively new thread though where there should be discussion about fanfics with other pairings and topics. It's called " certain fanfics are hard to find" by Schmiezi. Maybe that helps.

Last edited by mrshouse (March 9, 2015 11:29 am)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 9, 2015 11:55 am  #704

Thanks for that mrshouse, I tried the google search trick but my keywords must be too vague, it didn't come up with the one I'm looking for. Pity it was so long ago, I tried going through my browser history but it must have been more than a month ago. I will try Schmiezi's thread next.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 9, 2015 2:32 pm  #705

tonnaree wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

Oh my god, tonnaree, I saw you comment above and decided to look up "Alone in the Water". I assumed it was the one by Mad_Lori (plenty of kudos so it must be good). I read it. I cried (understatement). What an absolutely heartbreaking, beautiful story. I'm so glad I read it, but I'm so sad, I'm going to have to watch Sherlock just to remind myself that it didn't "really happen"! I actually had a dream last night with Benedict in it... Can't remember really anything about it, except that there was sadness and loss

I look forward to reading any fanfic you recommend, you have good taste.

Edit: actually, I think I need to listen to some Cabin Pressure, or I might feel miserable all day

Glad you liked it!
I think reading Alone on the Water is sort of a rite of passage in the Sherlock fandom!
I normally don't go anywhere near the words "Major Character Death" when reading fan fic but from the moment I joined the fandom I kept hearing about AOTW.  Finally couldn't resist it.

My reaction was much the same as yours.  So beautiful and so sad!  I was sobbing by the end.

Mad Lori is a treasure. 

I m probably the only person who remained absolutely allright after reading "Alone on the Water". I don´t know why, but this fanfic didn´t do anything for me.

Then I read a fic with a similar theme, "Come Apart at the Seams" and I cried my eyes out...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8298080/1/Come-Apart-at-the-Seams

Not that I read many fics featuring "Major Characters Death". I can´t stomach such angst usually....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 9, 2015 3:55 pm  #706

SolarSystem wrote:

Ah, Silentauror, this just has to be good, right?  

I would no longer say so, TBO. I love all her early works, but lately I feel like she is writing too much too fast. Somehow the latest fics lack a bit of the depth (and of inner logic too).  But that could be just me, so never mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 9, 2015 4:23 pm  #707

I haven't read any of her fics lately, so I assume I only know her older works.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 9, 2015 5:10 pm  #708

Schmiezi is basically right. She writes too much in my opinion. Some are brilliant (my favs still being "Vena Cava" and "Against the rest of the world"), some are good and others are just not really original or interesting. I think the problem is that she is very much focussed on the same topics - Mary as a villain and how Sherlock and John get together. Which is fine but more than 40 fics within little more than a year … you get my meaning … 

"The Final Proof", though, is very different and one of the reasons I like it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 9, 2015 5:18 pm  #709

I'm afraid I must concur with Susi and Schemzi re: SilentAuror but your personal milliage may vary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 9, 2015 5:46 pm  #710

tonnaree wrote:

(putting this here since it is all about fic)
This was interesting and fun.
Test Your Sherlock Fan Fiction Knowledge
https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=test-your-sherlock-fan-fiction-iq

Wow, that wasn't easy. It felt like I had read most of the fics at some point, and I recognized most of the authors... but sorting them? Difficult. Also, I totally failed in the AU and crossover section as I don't really read AUs or crossovers.
Got 42 percent. Going to hunt down a few of the stories I don't know yet

"It is what it is."

March 13, 2015 11:41 am  #711

Yay, wordstring has updated All the Best and Brightest Creatures with a new chapter!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2015 3:42 am  #712

tonnaree wrote:

(putting this here since it is all about fic)
This was interesting and fun.
Test Your Sherlock Fan Fiction Knowledge
https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=test-your-sherlock-fan-fiction-iq

Thank you for the link! Much appreciated

Whisky wrote:

Going to hunt down a few of the stories I don't know yet

Good Lord was it hard! Got 40%...there are so many fics I haven't read yet... Can I join you in your hunt, Whisky?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 15, 2015 4:18 am  #713

nakahara wrote:

Then I read a fic with a similar theme, "Come Apart at the Seams" and I cried my eyes out...

I've just read Come Apart At The Seams...While I didn't cry my eyes out, my heart certainly constricted at such pain...Really beautiful piece of work, to my mind...A tad less heartbreaking than AOTW (have you tried the fanvid, by the way? I'll put it here, but even if you didn't break while reading the story, do have tissues at the ready, one never knows...)

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 15, 2015 4:22 am  #714

SusiGo wrote:

Found one:

"The Final Proof" by Silentauror
http://archiveofourown.org/works/2092047

Just read this one; it is indeed a really good retirement fic. I may or may not have cried at the end -though not sad, per say, but achingly beautiful in the hope John has...Thank you for the rec, Susi

Edit: Found something interesting in regards to this fic
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/brain-scans-reveal-activity-associated-romantic-love

Last edited by Lilythiell (March 17, 2015 10:02 pm)

March 15, 2015 10:59 am  #715

Lilythiell wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I've just read Come Apart At The Seams...While I didn't cry my eyes out, my heart certainly constricted at such pain...Really beautiful piece of work, to my mind...A tad less heartbreaking than AOTW (have you tried the fanvid, by the way? I'll put it here, but even if you didn't break while reading the story, do have tissues at the ready, one never knows...)

That video is evil.  *sob*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 19, 2015 7:09 pm  #716

Has this thread turned into a fic rec thread?  I thought it was originally established to discuss stories (lines of dialogue, characterizations, plots, etc), not do recs. Don't we have a fic rec thread already on the forum?  I started a johnlock only one a couple of years ago, but I think there's a gen one, too.

March 19, 2015 9:54 pm  #717

I had already suggested this one in the rec thread before I read it.  But now that you mention it, I think I will move the post.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 7, 2015 3:08 pm  #718

One day I'm gonna read Alone on the Water. I really am. But I have to be prepared - gonna have to be alone, have a mountain of tissues and chocolate at hand, and also a funny and heartwarming Johnlock fic for first aid afterwards.

I just read a few recs of it on TV Tropes and that was all it took to have me in tears. Gawd, I'll be such a mess.

Last edited by Vhanja (April 7, 2015 3:08 pm)

Team Hudders!

April 7, 2015 3:38 pm  #719

It's gutwrenching.  But so worth it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Madlori at 221bcon last year and I joked with her about torturing people. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 7, 2015 9:12 pm  #720

Schmiezi wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Ah, Silentauror, this just has to be good, right?  

I would no longer say so, TBO. I love all her early works, but lately I feel like she is writing too much too fast. Somehow the latest fics lack a bit of the depth (and of inner logic too).  But that could be just me, so never mind.

I have to disagree. I love her writing, I think she's brilliant: and I also think she's uncompromisingly brave. She doesn't pander to popular fandom views of the characters at the expense of her own writing and telling a great story. I *do* see her take a lot of "criticism" in her comment pages from those who don't like her authorial treatments of John and Mary; but to me, she's a breath of fesh air. I like her logic when it comes to characterizations; they make sense-- more sense than some of the writers I've seen who will bend over backwards to make Mary a sympathetic character in ways that ...just don't make any sense whatsoever, and those who give John a pass, and ignore just how much Sherlock was hurt by the whole mess of TRF through s3. In other words, I think she's one of the few writers willing to treat the characters pretty even-handedly. 

Of course, this is only my own opinion. :-)

Board footera