BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2014 11:08 pm  #581

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

silverblaze wrote:

Back from factchecking: interpunction is English. AG could've worked that out but anyway. Thing about the English language, it often has a few words that have exactly the same meaning but a different root language. Although in this case both words sound very Latin to me. 

Speaking of Latin: PENIS

Runs to join Tonnaree

*high fives silver*    

What shall we yell next?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 21, 2014 11:19 pm  #582

Harriet wrote:

Well, my two dictionaries don't list interpunction, only punctuation. Just saying. Also the spell check here doesn't recognize it.

Weird, it took me like two seconds on the web. Maybe the word is a bit old fashioned or something. 

@Tonnaree: you wanna stay in Latin? What about Greek?

PHALLUS!

I'm going to bed now. Dream about phalluses and penises probably. 

December 22, 2014 12:37 am  #583

Sweet dreams Silver.  

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 22, 2014 2:01 am  #584

tonnaree wrote:

We add an adult content warning to the thread and we're talking about punctuation.
I'm so disappointed in you ladies.

Yes, but think of it this way--  maybe interpunction is the new term for you-know-what. Sort of like navy blue being the new black. C'mon, get creative!  heh

December 22, 2014 2:04 am  #585

stoertebeker wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

Schoolkids all over the world agree that it's a topic from hell. 

I thought that's usually maths, isn't it?

Oh, everyone knows there are nine rings of hell. Plenty of room for math up next to English grammar. I'd put all foreign languages on one of 'em too.

January 22, 2015 8:12 pm  #586

Reading "Right Hand Man", the latest fic of SilentAuror, (here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/3205157) I suddenly realised that I am sick of this "misunderstanding" trope in Johnlock fics. I am tired of John going

Oh, Sherlock gave me the second hand job under the shower  and was aroused by it. Could it possibly MEAN something? Naaaaa, surely not.

I don't need reading about established relationship only, but this trope has somehow lost its appeal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 22, 2015 8:24 pm  #587

"Could it mean something"?

LMAO!!!!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 22, 2015 8:29 pm  #588

Seriously, that is basically the ending of chapter 2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 22, 2015 8:30 pm  #589

I see what you mean. It has been used once too often, I think. You can write about John understanding his sexuality only by degrees but once they had sex he should realise he might be bi indeed.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2015 8:47 pm  #590

But we do know he's an idiot

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 23, 2015 7:44 pm  #591

Harriet wrote:

But we do know he's an idiot!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3212018

I love the phrase "husband and idiot".

January 25, 2015 7:55 pm  #592

I'm honestly a bit shocked that my Irene Adler fan fic has got readers and kudos at all... Not that I'm not putting effort into it... trust me, I'm putting my back into writing this. 

But I mean... Sherlock has so far barely been mentioned, I'm on over 1000 reads and 31 kudos on AO3. I wasn't sure anyone would like it. 

Is it the 50 Shades effect?? Seeing as it's about a young girl and a domina... 

It's been online for 25 days and to compare to story (with the same orginal chracter!) has had 700 views in a year with 31 chapters. 

I'm just a bit baffled 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (January 25, 2015 7:56 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 25, 2015 9:07 pm  #593

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I'm honestly a bit shocked that my Irene Adler fan fic has got readers and kudos at all... Not that I'm not putting effort into it... trust me, I'm putting my back into writing this. 

But I mean... Sherlock has so far barely been mentioned, I'm on over 1000 reads and 31 kudos on AO3. I wasn't sure anyone would like it. 

Is it the 50 Shades effect?? Seeing as it's about a young girl and a domina... 

It's been online for 25 days and to compare to story (with the same orginal chracter!) has had 700 views in a year with 31 chapters. 

I'm just a bit baffled 

Glad to hear! It's always fun when your stories get appreciated, especially the ones where you put time and effort in.

And, yeah, could be some form of 50 shades-effect. I put up my BDSM-fic ten days ago (Short one-shot with no beta reader) and it has gotten over 1100 reads and 59 kodus. I am pleasently surprisd myself!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 25, 2015 9:08 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 25, 2015 10:06 pm  #594

Just relax and enjoy the ride!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 1, 2015 3:39 pm  #595

Somehow I stumble over fics tagged "slow burn" (or those that should be tagged but aren't) rather often lately, and very often they include something I'd like to discuss here.

It always strikes me as a bit odd to assume that John and Sherlock would sleep in the same bed, cuddling, but not having sex, in most cases not even kissing. That does not seem overly realistic to me.

Am I the only one who wonders about it?

Last edited by Schmiezi (February 1, 2015 3:40 pm)

February 1, 2015 6:41 pm  #596

No, you are not. I recently read a fic in which they keep sleeping in the same bed for months without touching each other in a sexual way. I think this is very improbable for two people who are love with and attracted by each other. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2015 6:44 pm  #597

I think it depends on the circumstances. It can work, depending on the paramteres of the story. There's a difference of taking things painstakingly slow just for the sake of it, and having plausible reasons for things taking a bit of time (which I have read, or so I think at least).

Considering Sherlock having shut that part of him down years ago (and thus having, probably, few experiences that were many years ago) and John - at least for the years we know him - only having experiences with women, I find it realistic that they wouldn't hop each other like bunnies first chance they got. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 1, 2015 9:43 pm  #598

Schmiezi wrote:

It always strikes me as a bit odd to assume that John and Sherlock would sleep in the same bed, cuddling, but not having sex, in most cases not even kissing. That does not seem overly realistic to me.

Am I the only one who wonders about it?

Don't know whether it's realistic. No, probably not but I have to admit, I love those stories 
I love those stories were the relationship between Sherlock and John develop slowly, from pure friendship to deep bromance and then cautiously to a romantic relationship (and finally with all physical aspects ;-) ).
I prefer slower stories much more than those were they fell in love head over heels and jump all over each other like rabbits. Though I don't necessarily need that misunderstanding stuff as well and slow building relationship doesn't mean that I want a 30-chapter story arc until the first kiss. I recently read 'State of Flux'. Loved it 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 1, 2015 9:50 pm  #599

Just to make it clear - I am not talking about starting slowly, I am talking about two men sleeping in the same bed for months without having sex. I love fics in which the relationship develops slowly, in which at least one of them is insecure or inexperienced. But once they are sharing a bed, I find it quite improbable that there will be no sex of some kind for months.  

February 1, 2015 10:00 pm  #600

Susi, I can't add anything here 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera