BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2014 10:13 pm  #421

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

Wholocked wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

In my experience, those who are into reading about straight relationships in their fic are seldom into gay stories, and vice versa. There must be people who read both and cross over happily and often, but I can't remember ever meeting anyone lilke that. Most slashers love their slash and will stay with their OTP (one true pairing), because that's where the joy is for them.

Really? I don't have a problem with reading gay or hetero slash; it's just that I tend to only read Johnlock because that's my favourite pairing. I can't stand Sherlolly more because I find the pairing unrealistic than because I dislike reading hetero fics.

I've read some Adlock and I'd like to read some Molly/Lestrade fics too.

Me too. When I was in X-Files fandom I only read Mulder/Scully pairings.  Not because they were hetro but because they were my OTP.  Same with Sherlock/John.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 26, 2014 10:53 pm  #422

saturnR wrote:

I don't mind reading slash as long as it is part of canon. To bring up a long forgotten fandom from yesteryear, I love reading haruka/michiru stories because in the canon, they are lesbians. They are my favourite characters from the series & at the time the series came out, the world was much less gay-friendly than it is today so the writer/creator was very brave for showing that kind of relationship to teen audiences.
But I generally don't like reading slash for characters who are not gay in canon (if it's done well that's another matter - I have read some in Sherlock & Harry Potter (re: Remus & Sirius) that were done well, but usually it isn't done well).

Just curious, but how can a sexual gay relationship be canon in a TV show that won't "go there"? God forbid, but the writers could write a Sherlock-Molly pairing and have them indulge in pillow talk and every other damned (sexual) thing in the future.  But I don't believe we'll ever see John and Sherlock under the covers, or doing anything else remotely sexually based, not in my lifetime, anyway. *shrug*  So M/M slash will NEVER be canonical in BBC Sherlock, IMO. That's what Johnlock fan fic is for, after all-- to fix it!

March 26, 2014 11:01 pm  #423

I think what saturnR means is that she struggles with fanfics that change the established sexual identity of a character in canon. So with Johnlock - you have Sherlock, who's orientation is unknown; and John, who states he is "not gay" and only dates women, but "not gay" still leaves the door open for bisexual.

I guess if it was established that Sherlock and/or John were 100% absolutely straight, she wouldn't read that? That's how I read it anyway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 27, 2014 12:24 am  #424

saturnR wrote:

I don't mind reading slash as long as it is part of cannon. To bring up a long forgotten fandom from yesteryear, I love reading haruka/michiru stories because in the cannon, they are lesbians. They are my favourite characters from the series & at the time the series came out, the world was much less gay-friendly than it is today so the writer/creator was very brave for showing that kind of relationship to teen audiences.

But I generally don't like reading slash for characters who are not gay in cannon (if it's done well that's another matter - I have read some in Sherlock & Harry Potter (re: Remus & Sirius) that were done well, but usually it isn't done well).

I don't mind it, as long as the story is written well. I used to write Starsky and Hutch, waaaaaaaay back in the day. I guess, it's just that there really aren't too many Gay characters in most popular media; so.... that being said, I don't have a problem with straight stories as long as they are done well. 

I think that as writers, we're allowed to play with the characters anyway we wish, and as long as stuff is labeled, everything is cool. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (March 27, 2014 12:26 am)

March 27, 2014 1:58 am  #425

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

.....I think that as writers, we're allowed to play with the characters anyway we wish, and as long as stuff is labeled, everything is cool. 

Yes, I agree, for sure.

March 27, 2014 2:15 am  #426

Wholocked wrote:

I think what saturnR means is that she struggles with fanfics that change the established sexual identity of a character in canon.

Yes. That is what I was trying to say

I guess the confusion arose because I was using the wider definition of slash as stories featuring gay and lesbian relationships. I didn't use the original (and narrower) definition of slash which is stories featuring gay and lesbian sex.

I've never seen sex as a seperate entity. If you have a sexuality then it includes everything - the relationship; the banter; & if you really wanted to go there - the sex. I don't see why we should need to seperate the part from the whole.

April 4, 2014 12:11 pm  #427

Just a bit of a quick question... 

So, I'm working on my new fic, which is a crime drama about a serial killer who targets goth girls. The female DI is out of her wits and can't solve the case on her own. 

At a point she picks up that one of the victims recently broke up with her boyfriend before her death and turns out he actually knew some of the other victims as well... 

Is it a bit too distracting if I name him Ben Carlton? He's spoken about as a lovely character obviously! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (April 4, 2014 12:11 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 4, 2014 1:41 pm  #428

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

.....Is it a bit too distracting if I name him Ben Carlton? ...

Yes. Doing that will take the reader right out of your story and stick her in Ben's private life. I wouldn't do it.

April 4, 2014 2:30 pm  #429

I agree with ancientsgate. I would separate strictly between fanfic and reality and not use the name. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 4, 2014 4:27 pm  #430

Thanks for the input!

I'll think of another name! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 10:08 pm  #431

After many, many years of wanting to write fanfiction, it's only when it's got to the point of me entering the Sherlock fandom that I've actually took action!

I started writing today, I think I'm quite pleased with it so far. I'm anxiously waiting for a reply of someone who I've sent it to, to have a second opinion!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 11, 2014 9:14 am  #432

Good luck with your writing, Rebecca! I honestly can't wait to read it!! 

The other night I finally killed off my character, but I'm not totally happy with Sherlock's reactions to seeing her dead just yet... I want him to be rattled a bit; but sentiment is just not him. It's doing my head in. (And I'm still mourning my own loss of the girl... )

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (April 11, 2014 9:16 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 11, 2014 10:26 am  #433

Thank you, Phantom!

I've got two weeks free now which gives me loads of time to hopefully write!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 11, 2014 2:05 pm  #434

I'm actually going to write an alternate version of Sherlock and John's reunion based on a gifset I saw on tumblr.  Make it like a twisted version of A Study in Pink as John and Sherlock meet each other again yet they are so different than who they were before.

Oooooo got so many scenes in my head. I'm excited. 

If I only can get myself to actually write it and not be scared. XDD

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (April 11, 2014 2:06 pm)

April 14, 2014 5:18 pm  #435

Started reading The Quiet Man by ivyblossom for the first time.  Already drowning in feels.

Anyone reading MadLori's Lifetime Achivement?   Initial opinions?  I confess I'm impatiently waiting for the whole story to be posted.  It's less painful to be able to read it all at once. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 14, 2014 6:48 pm  #436

I recently finished The Quiet Man, and even though I'm not a Johnlock person, I quite enjoyed it. Very well written, although sometimes the stream of consciousness/inner thought style was a bit too much for my liking.

April 14, 2014 8:37 pm  #437

tonnaree wrote:

Started reading The Quiet Man by ivyblossom for the first time.  Already drowning in feels.

Anyone reading MadLori's Lifetime Achivement?   Initial opinions?  I confess I'm impatiently waiting for the whole story to be posted.  It's less painful to be able to read it all at once. 

It is nice so far and very well written of course, but IMO not as thrilling as PIALR. But nevertheless I'm impatiently waiting for the next chapters.

By the way, the wonderful Geny (from dudeufugly.tumblr.com) is currently publishing a podfic of PIALR: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1139276?view_adult=true&view_full_work=true
It's really really good IMO. She has a wonderful narrator voice and as far as I can estimate her pronunciation is very good (she is not an English native speaker). I nearly cried while listening to chapter 13 (I was at the gym, would have been a bit embarrassing). She has currently uploaded until chapter 15.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 14, 2014 8:58 pm  #438

tonnaree wrote:

Started reading The Quiet Man by ivyblossom for the first time.  Already drowning in feels. Anyone reading MadLori's Lifetime Achivement?   Initial opinions?  I confess I'm impatiently waiting for the whole story to be posted.  It's less painful to be able to read it all at once. 

I hate how Lori is posting this sequel to her original PIALR. Once a week, in a chapter that takes a half hour to read, is just plain silly.  I've been trying to read it that way, and I find I'm losing all the continuity.  At this point, I think I'll just bite the bullet, wait till it's all up, months from now, and read it then.

April 16, 2014 4:37 pm  #439

Hi, I'm new here. I have never read fanfic and don't know how it works, what the abbreviations mean, etc. I have made a startling breakthrough on the subtext of Sherlock's obsession with floors. So I'll go back to the beginning of this thread and get me some learnin on how to rite f/f.

Obviously Merkin,
AT

April 16, 2014 5:03 pm  #440

We had this link  here about a hundred times, but I can't find it right now and it's always worth being recommended:

The Sherlock Fandom Glossary
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BueXx9a4JmlpXGckaH_ODSPLGcRmw4AuxyT79UO6zLI/edit?pli=1#

might be of some help, AT 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera