BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2014 7:19 pm  #401

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Thank you so much for your support! I can't wait to post this specific chapter somehow... I'm 3 chapters ahead of my posting! I even ended up writing a short story inspired by the anger that came from writing the scene. So much creativity has come to me from this! 

I confess, I'm lazy, so I'll just ask you here-- can you post a link to your story?  Thx and smooches.

March 10, 2014 7:41 pm  #402

ancientsgate wrote:

Thank you so much for your support! I can't wait to post this specific chapter somehow... I'm 3 chapters ahead of my posting! I even ended up writing a short story inspired by the anger that came from writing the scene. So much creativity has come to me from this! 

I confess, I'm lazy, so I'll just ask you here-- can you post a link to your story?  Thx and smooches.

Of course! And I'm often a bit lazy as well!

'The On-Call Corpse' (The long story where I added that scene)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1220638/chapters/2499589

'Livid!' (The short story I wrote after writing that scene)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1292794

Do be advised of depictions of violence! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 10, 2014 9:20 pm  #403

Thank you!

I never wrote this fan fic in question for others. I wrote it for myself... perhaps you can call it a form of self therapy. The only thing I, and I think it should be so for others too, think about readers is when I label and categorise when I post it. 

I personally don't hope Benedict ever finds that fan fic. Not because of this specific scene... but I would feel that no matter what I had written. Had it been a sappy love story I would feel even worse perhaps! 

I'm proud of myself for writing it actually. It's some of my best writing in a while to be honest! 

Phantom, you RAWK!

March 11, 2014 1:16 am  #404

*Blush* 

But really, again about writing for yourself VS. writing for others... I think it's incredibly important to write for your own sake. That's the true joy of writing! Obviously it will need to make sense to other's but if you keep writing to please others a lot will be lost... 

A while ago I had a few 'owners' so to speak when I was doing some "field research" you might call it, on dominatrixes, doms and subs... One of them was forcing me to write short stories with certain erotic themes for him... It was part of what made me lose my passion for writing... luckily Sherlock has brought that passion back to my life and I'm glad. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 25, 2014 2:36 pm  #405

Okay...

Have anyone ever really struggled with killing off one of their characters? I am going to kill off my female character. But I just can't make myself do it... 

I don't think I can write out her death scene at all... I have thought about ending this fan fic with the girl running away; having had more than enough of Sherlock's torment and she goes undercover. 

But in my next fiction I am considering having her be one of the victims of the serial killer Sherlock will be on the tail off. 

Am I being stupid? She's just fiction... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 25, 2014 2:55 pm  #406

I haven't written any Sherlock fic but I use to write for the X-Files.  Admit I never tried writing an original character.  But then again my fics were short on plot and long on smut. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 25, 2014 3:44 pm  #407

Your honesty is so endearing, tonnaree. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 25, 2014 5:14 pm  #408

SusiGo wrote:

Your honesty is so endearing, tonnaree. 

*giggle*  Thank you Susi.
 I found Mulder and Scully to be so inspiring.

I"ve been feeling a little nudge to write some Sherlock smut but I worry that I wouldn't get the characters right.  I mean, even if you're just writing smut John and Sherlockstill have to feel like John and Sherlock.

Also, never have tackled a same sex scene.  Lord knows I've read plenty!  Wonder if I could do it justice.

Last edited by tonnaree (March 25, 2014 5:15 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 25, 2014 5:31 pm  #409

You never know if you don't try! I bet you could do an awesome job at it!

I doubt my characters are spot on. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 25, 2014 7:18 pm  #410

tonnaree, should you ever decide to tackle the Johnlock smut, please make sure to let us know about it!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 25, 2014 7:23 pm  #411

Forming a queue. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 25, 2014 7:29 pm  #412

She's under pressure now...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 25, 2014 7:44 pm  #413

oh lord    *thud*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 25, 2014 8:27 pm  #414

tonnaree wrote:

I found Mulder and Scully to be so inspiring.
I"ve been feeling a little nudge to write some Sherlock smut but I worry that I wouldn't get the characters right.  I mean, even if you're just writing smut John and Sherlock still have to feel like John and Sherlock.
Also, never have tackled a same sex scene.  Lord knows I've read plenty!  Wonder if I could do it justice.

IMO, it would be hard for an American to get John and Sherlock's voices right. Even if you could find the right words for them to say, it'd be hard to get the intonation right. And IMO again, I personally can't stand it when they sound like Americans. Just a pet peeve of mine.  Ignore me.

Writing gay sex isn't any diff from writing straight sex (Tab A goes in Slot B, etc), BUT.... it's important to make sure the two men stay all guy.  No one should be the little wifey, no mincing around, no one giggling and acting like a girl.  Pet peeve #2 of mine, when one or both of them are feminized. Ignore me.

Having said all that, if you think it'd be fun to write J/S, go ahead, tonnaree!  It never has to get published--- just write it first for your own self, and see where it goes. 

March 26, 2014 12:37 am  #415

tonnaree wrote:

I"ve been feeling a little nudge to write some Sherlock smut but I worry that I wouldn't get the characters right.  I mean, even if you're just writing smut John and Sherlockstill have to feel like John and Sherlock.

That's what beta readers are for m'love. Find someone who writes good smut that you enjoy reading and ask them if they will review your writing. I would be surprised if they said no ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 26, 2014 3:51 am  #416

Wholocked wrote:

That's what beta readers are for m'love. Find someone who writes good smut that you enjoy reading and ask them if they will review your writing. I would be surprised if they said no ;-)

A good alpha reader (checking for context, checking characterizations, looking over the dialogue-- seeing if each scene "works" and if what you wrote is believable, etc.) are invaluable and hard to find. IMO non-Brits should try to find at least one Brit alpha reader, someone to see if the characters sound right, are using Brit expressions correctly, etc. And then there are beta readers, checking grammar, spelling, sentence and paragraph structure.

IMO it's not necessary to be an author yourself to be a good alpha/beta reader, but whoever an author chooses should know the show and the characters inside and out, and be familiar with the fandom and its fan fic, at least somewhat.

March 26, 2014 3:56 am  #417

And yes, you wouldn't want to pick an alpha-beta reader who was unfamiliar with gay fan fic, someone who was unsympathetic with Johnlock. Eeeek, god forbid!  In my experience, those who are into reading about straight relationships in their fic are seldom into gay stories, and vice versa. There must be people who read both and cross over happily and often, but I can't remember ever meeting anyone lilke that. Most slashers love their slash and will stay with their OTP (one true pairing), because that's where the joy is for them. I love Johnlock, for instance, but I never could pony up the interest or take the time to read Mollylock, even though I'd defend to the death anyone's right to write it and/or read it. So yeah, a slash author would want to pick someone knowledgable about slash fan fic.

March 26, 2014 6:56 am  #418

ancientsgate wrote:

In my experience, those who are into reading about straight relationships in their fic are seldom into gay stories, and vice versa. There must be people who read both and cross over happily and often, but I can't remember ever meeting anyone lilke that. Most slashers love their slash and will stay with their OTP (one true pairing), because that's where the joy is for them.

Really? I don't have a problem with reading gay or hetero slash; it's just that I tend to only read Johnlock because that's my favourite pairing. I can't stand Sherlolly more because I find the pairing unrealistic than because I dislike reading hetero fics.

I've read some Adlock and I'd like to read some Molly/Lestrade fics too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 26, 2014 7:43 am  #419

ancientsgate wrote:

In my experience, those who are into reading about straight relationships in their fic are seldom into gay stories, and vice versa. There must be people who read both and cross over happily and often, but I can't remember ever meeting anyone lilke that.

I cross over quite happily. Admittedly I am generally more concerned with the plot than slash and look for stories more according to themes than pairings.

March 26, 2014 10:10 pm  #420

I don't mind reading slash as long as it is part of cannon. To bring up a long forgotten fandom from yesteryear, I love reading haruka/michiru stories because in the cannon, they are lesbians. They are my favourite characters from the series & at the time the series came out, the world was much less gay-friendly than it is today so the writer/creator was very brave for showing that kind of relationship to teen audiences.

But I generally don't like reading slash for characters who are not gay in cannon (if it's done well that's another matter - I have read some in Sherlock & Harry Potter (re: Remus & Sirius) that were done well, but usually it isn't done well).

Last edited by saturnR (March 26, 2014 10:13 pm)

Board footera