BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2013 3:37 pm  #181

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

It must be ineresting to write, too. I think I usually avoid at least SOME of the clichés on purpose, but surely not all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 25, 2013 4:14 pm  #182

John and Sherlock will lean toward each other and touch foreheads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 25, 2013 6:16 pm  #183

tonnaree wrote:

Oh, now that one right there I actually like. I never even noticed how much my husband does that to me until I started reading Johnlock stuff. I never really thought about how much I would miss it if it wasn't there.

I'll shut up now....carry on :D

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

September 25, 2013 7:32 pm  #184

SherlockianDE wrote:

At some point, someone will "release a breath they hadn't realized they were holding"

Ha! I just came across that one again today in the fic I'm currently reading.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 25, 2013 7:40 pm  #185

crazybbcamerican wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Oh, now that one right there I actually like. I never even noticed how much my husband does that to me until I started reading Johnlock stuff. I never really thought about how much I would miss it if it wasn't there.

Some things are really nice and belong in a love story. For me this collecting things is more about fun than criticising. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2013 7:49 pm  #186

A story that deliberately includes every cliché would also be fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

September 25, 2013 7:53 pm  #187

I've certainly seen the touching foreheads in many fics, is it cannon?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

September 25, 2013 7:59 pm  #188

Great idea, QE. Any volunteers? 

I am quite sure this is sadly not canon. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2013 9:46 pm  #189

SusiGo wrote:

crazybbcamerican wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Some things are really nice and belong in a love story. For me this collecting things is more about fun than criticising. 

What Susi said.  I quite like a lot of these cliches.  I am the sappiest of romantics at heart.

But not the nicknames.   Never the nicknames.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 26, 2013 12:23 am  #190

Yes! on the sap.
Yech on the nicknames :D

....sigh...

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

September 26, 2013 4:11 am  #191

The nicknames are only for Sherlock, anyway. Or have ou ever read a fic where Sherlock calls John "Johnny" or something?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 26, 2013 5:17 am  #192

I've only seen John refered to as Johnny in fics by Harry and/or Moriarty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 26, 2013 5:35 am  #193

Yuk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 26, 2013 6:53 am  #194

Okay - here's what I've got - anything to add? I'll probably put it on my Tumblr too ;)

​Things You Might Have Read in a Johnlock Fanfic

• Sherlock sees EVERYTHING unless it's inconvenient to the plot that he does so.
• Sherlock will refer to John as “MINE” or “MY JOHN”.
• Biting. Someone will bite someone else, on the neck or the collarbone. Often as they come.
• Sherlock’s lips will be referred to as “perfect cupid’s bow”, usually in John’s thoughts.
• John will be self-conscious about his bullet wound scar; Sherlock will be unabashedly fascinated about the scar.
• Sherlock will lick and/or kiss the scar; often having been waiting for a long time for the opportunity. John will find that Sherlock licking/kissing his scar is a turn on.
• Sherlock’s body and/or behaviour will at some point be described as Byronic.
• Sherlock’s body will be described as marble, but warm; or a greek statue, but warm. John may be surprised that he is warm (???)
• They live on a constant diet of toast, tea and take-away (the TTT diet?). They somehow become neither anaemic nor contract skurvy
• They don’t do dedicated exercising, such as going to the gym. They keep themselves trim, taught and terrific just by chasing bad guys around London’s street and rooftops. This ‘fact’ is often referenced.
• Someone will say “Oh God, yes”. Often to the suggestion of sex, or some kinky variation thereof.
​• John will have an oral fixation
• At some point, you may see the phrase “<name> released the breath he hadn’t realised he was holding
• John and Sherlock will touch foreheads together; this is often accompanied by them “breathing each other’s air
• There may be a dissertation from one of them regarding what makes up the others scent. This will often include "and a <adjective> scent that is uniquely <name>'s"
• Occasionally you will see nicknames such as Sherly, ‘Lock, ‘Lockie, Myc, Mye or Johnny. And you will despise them on sight.
• If for any reason sheets are discussed or described, John will use standard cheap linen and Sherlock will use some kind of very expensive Egyptian cotton and/or silk. No idea why.
• If Mycroft is in the story, he will be omniscient, omnipresent, and have a black town car within about 5 minutes of wherever Sherlock and John are. He will also live in a large expensive townhouse with staff, but is rarely there; spending his time at work or the Diogenes club. Sherlock can break into said house and bypass any security system. Mycroft can also fix anything, including creating alibis and licences for firearms out of thin air; backdated.
• If Victor Trevor is a character in the story, he is either an ex-bf (good guy) or an ex-bf (abusive) but either way, there was sex. He may also be the guy who introduced Sherlock to cocaine.
• If Sebastian Wilkes is in the story, he is often either an ex-bf (abusive) or the guy who introduced Sherlock to cocaine; often both
• If Mary Morstan is in the story, she will be whomever the author wants her to be for the sake of the plot, conveniently forgetting that in canon she met John whilst they were on a case, and never had an issue with the amount of John's time Sherlock claimed
• If Sebastian Moran is a character in the story, he is butch and blonde; and an ex-military mercenary sniper.
• If Sherlock’s drug addiction is part of the story; he got hooked in uni and got clean thanks to Lestrade, despite Mycroft’s numerous attempts previously to get him clean. There are often overdoses referenced. Mycroft's heavy-handed attempts for getting him clean are often the reason for their estrangement in a story of this nature.

Last edited by Wholocked (September 26, 2013 6:55 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 26, 2013 7:08 am  #195

Thank you! You gave me a good laugh this morning! 

Addition? Maybe this:

John worries a lot about Sherlocks eating habbits and trys to make him eating more often.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 26, 2013 7:09 am  #196

This is brilliant, Wholocked! You should really put this on tumblr. 

September 26, 2013 7:16 am  #197

Yes it's brilliant and it made my day thank you

Last edited by Pav (September 26, 2013 7:18 am)

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

September 26, 2013 7:18 am  #198

stoertebeker wrote:

Addition? Maybe this:

John worries a lot about Sherlocks eating habbits and trys to make him eating more often.

Yes! The resolution to that is often to either place food within easy reach when Sherlock is distracted; or in the soppy ones to feed him off his own plate. 

ETA Quote cause I didn't see there were two more posts

ETA again:  I have a draft on Tumblr. Just want to see if anyone else has additions before I post :-)

Last edited by Wholocked (September 26, 2013 7:58 am)

September 26, 2013 11:18 am  #199

SusiGo wrote:

I second that - it's exactly how I feel about these lists I would probably also succumb to using some of the clichés, if I were writing fanfic.

@Wholocked
Your list is awesome, thanks for that!
What's still missing is the hospital thing that somebody mentioned some pages back - how Sherlock never wants to go there/wants to go home right away, and how John has an extensive medical kit at 221B, with which he can treat almost anything

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

September 26, 2013 11:24 am  #200

A great list, Wholocked!

Also still missing seems to be Sherlock's expensive shampoo and John on the other hand using really cheap shampoo.
And how about Sherlock and John sharing a bed and sleeping really tightly curled up?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera