BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2013 2:41 pm  #61

Re: "We're not a couple" and homophobic accusations

it certainly is not denied truth, as it has been pointed out by mofftis etc. at various times. It can surely been seen as his problem or weakness but that depends on the perception of the viewer. And, as I said, a lot of people are still (maye even unconciously) homophobic, therefore you can be quite sure that they perceive the problem not being John's ridiculous denials, but the accusation (i.e. they perceive the assumption that he is gay as accusation, just as John does himself).

Sorry I also have a little problem to express myself clearly right now.

The Game is On!

November 28, 2013 2:45 pm  #62

I know exactly what you mean, Harriet, but I am not sure which interpretation was intended by the makers. 
I would like to believe that he himself thinks he is straight and just does not know/accept/dare to admit to himself that he is romantically/sexually interested in Sherlock. That it collides with his self-perception. (But this idea might be influenced by reading fanfic.)
Moreover, I think that today there are still a lot of men that are afraid of finding such feelings in themselves and deny them towards themselves and others. 
And we see that in Hounds John has stopped his denials, for one or the other reason. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 28, 2013 2:58 pm  #63

I stop here, just because I feel I can't get to the points I'd like to say. There are also too many things we don't know.
I don't think that we really differ much, anyway 

(And to me, it's lots of denied truth, whether they make something out of it or not  )

Last edited by Harriet (November 28, 2013 3:00 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 1, 2013 9:44 am  #64

Always seems to me that Gatiss and Moffat want to write an honest show that reflects complex truth,rather than politically correct truth--including the fact that sexuality and people's reactions to sexuality are often really, really layered. So on the one hand, "It's all good." On the other hand, acid teasing of Mycroft (come to see the Queen, SiB). Both Sherlock and John have gay sibs with whom they have complex and not entirely happy relations, and it appears it's mostly not about sexuality, but sexuality does seem to play a part. John can be comfortable more or less with the idea of a possible gay roomie, but be uncomfortable being repeatedly assumed to be part of a gay couple. He can have a dialog with Irene in which the entire question of gay/not gay is discussed on both sides, and buttons are mutually pushed--and, yet, for both it has more to do with that maddening, complex man Sherlock than with either of their sexual preferences.

To me that comes across as Gatiss and Moffat writing about how people--tolerant people of relative good will--can still get into strange, complicated, difficult tangles as they try to pick their way through all the minefields of love, friendship, sex, and social expectations. That's not homophobic, though it does reflect bits of society's homophobia sometimes. It's mainly loving: so many people trying so many different ways to work it all through. Instead of polemics or propaganda for any side, there's just this big-hearted affection for all those of good will--like John--who don't know quite where it all fits in or how to work with it.

I love that they're writing such a kind, generous understanding of how bloody complex it all is, rather than easy answers. I'd infinitely rather see John try to work through the implications of simultaneously adoring Sherlock while still knowing himself to be sexually straight, than see John "say the right thing" to please the politically correct. There's a kindness that ultimately they keep on coming back to a core truth: gay or not, straight or not, celibate or not, couple or not, John and Sherlock love each other, and it works, and in the end that's what they keep choosing to hang on to.

So much better, kinder, and more meaningful than PC propaganda ever is....and it says so much MORE about the truth of "it's all good," than PC propaganda could state in a million years.

December 1, 2013 11:12 am  #65

Wow, this is a wonderful post, TammanyT. I would not want to see a Sherlock episode in which everything was subjected to abstract ideas of what is PC and not. As you say, Moftiss write about people, about multi-layered characters with all their weaknesses and strengths. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 1, 2013 2:41 pm  #66

Brillant TammanyT.  Just bloody brilliant.

The world is rarely black and white.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 1, 2013 3:30 pm  #67

Even when people are implying you're being homophobic!
Tho it was particularly ridiculous when people like Mark had that accusation thrown at them!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 1, 2013 3:32 pm  #68

What we see in the media is in no way a correct representation of reality, and I think it is very important to point out and discuss issues like the ones mentioned in this thread. Not in order to force the writers of the show to take it into a certain direction, but to question things that are or could be problematic and to draw your own conclusions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 1, 2013 3:36 pm  #69

I actually trust the writers.and ceratinly think they're more talented than I could ever be.
I've defended them from accusations of misogyny.
Any accusations of homophobia are just stupid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 1, 2013 3:40 pm  #70

I think this statement makes it too easy...

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 1, 2013 4:16 pm  #71

I'd say if people perceive elements of the show as homophobic or otherwise insulting they have every right to say so. That way the writers and other people can also become aware of what might have gone wrong and might pay more attention to the issue in the future. Just yelling at each other or calling each other stupid is of course counterproductive, but otherwise it's definitely an important discussion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1, 2013 4:20 pm  #72

I'm late to the thread, so haven't read all contributions. 
But a couple of points:
1.  We are so close to the new series, let's see what they do.
2. I consider homophobia a damn serious accusation and cowardly, if not said to someone's face.

December 1, 2013 5:55 pm  #73

I think Molly is brilliant.
I defended Steven over Irene with the simple:  how else could she appear to be scandalous in this day and age?
Her nudity was totally in character and necessary for the plot.
I also consider the royals to be the best target.
I'm not sure what else Steven could have done.
It's one of my least favourite episodes. but only cos I can't stand any woman near Sherlock.

Last edited by besleybean (December 1, 2013 6:10 pm)

December 1, 2013 5:56 pm  #74

This is very convincing, Swanpride. 

I agree with you that saying "we are not a couple" does not mean that one does not want to be together with a person of the same gender or has any homophobic tendencies but that one does wish to correct a wrong assumption. If I went to a party with a male friend and someone would address us as a couple I would correct them, too. As I would do if the same happened with a female friend. 

And I do not think that saying "I'm not gay" is a discrimination as such. John never shows any disrespect or other negative feelings towards gay people. The problems with his sister seem to be due to her alcoholism and not the fact that she is gay. 

I would really like to see Molly in your blog after series 3. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 1, 2013 5:57 pm)

December 1, 2013 5:56 pm  #75

Don't forget, John was in the army. Even now with DADT repealed, I hear it can be a homophobic environment. I'm not saying that John is homophobic, because he seems to have no problem with the possibility that Sherlock might be gay (he asks Mrs Hudson in Scandal if Sherlock has ever had a girlfriend or boyfriend). But I would imagine it to be difficult to shake off that mentality.

Plus, John's sister is a lesbian. And he told Sherlock that the two women were going through a divorce. At this time, it would have been a civil partnership (which some don't view as full marriage). If John was against it, he wouldn't have said that if he didn't think it was a "real" marriage. The way he said it, I got the feeling that he viewed it as a real marriage. Him not getting on with Harry probably had more to do with her drinking, or maybe she was just a bitch 

In Scandal, John is planning to visit his sister. If he was homophobic he would probably want nothing to do with her. But he's trying, even though she's got a problem.

Now then, about John defending himself when people assume he and Sherlock are a couple. So many people do it, maybe he just got sick of the assumption? He loves Sherlock as his best friend, and unfortunately today's society would assume that there's something going on becasue they're so close. I'd get sick of it too if people just assumed without asking. I don't think he'd have a problem with it if he and Sherlock did discover that they were in love; but he's sick of people assuming that they are.

Sorry, but this is a non-spoiler thread. Feel free to post about this in one of others. It will be difficult for members to avoid this even if you give a warning. Thank you. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 1, 2013 6:15 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 1, 2013 6:24 pm  #76

Swanpride wrote:

When it comes to being gay, the show could have chosen to not mention the issue at all. But apparently the maker felt (rightly) that it would have been wrong not to adress it. Two adult men who live together and do nearly everything together would cause question nowadays. At the same time, it is totally naturally to deny being in a relationship with someone, no matter if male or female. If someone would assume that John and Molly were a pair, John would correct this most likely, too.

That would work in the scene at Angelo's, for example, if Sherlock was a woman or if John was with Molly. "I'm not her date." Ok. That would be funny, too.
But what would you expect, for example, in the scene in SiB with Irene then? "If anyone out there still cares, I'm not actually straight." Hm ...

Swanpride wrote:

There are healthier methods to promote equality. I just started a blog about well-written female characters in the media. Because I think, it is a better idea to praise and promote them, then to complain about the bad examples, which get more attention than they deserve. If they do a good job with Molly next season, she will get an article, too. Because to me she deserves more attention for being well-written than Irene Adler for being problematic written.

That might work quite well with female characters (and thumbs up for your effort there; I'd like to read that blog). But if you tried to make a list of, for example, well-written non-straight or transgendered characters in the mainstream media, I'm afraid the list would be very short and you wouldn't find a lot of positive stuff you could write about. That's just the way it is at the moment.

December 1, 2013 6:57 pm  #77

maybe I am missing the point of this discussion, but IS anybody around here who actually accuses the show of being homophobic?

Last edited by Marva (December 1, 2013 6:57 pm)

The Game is On!

December 1, 2013 7:00 pm  #78

I read a blogpost quoted somewhere which accused the show of queer baiting. That is all I have seen but there may be more out there on the Net. 

December 1, 2013 7:03 pm  #79

Yes, and that is obviously exaggerated, but the questions raised are interesting nevertheless.
Your own post, Marva, had the link to: sherlock-is-the-grossest-example-of-queerbaiting 

December 1, 2013 7:04 pm  #80

ok I am rephrasing: is there anybody here in this forum who accuses the show for homophobia? Or are we actually only agreeing on each other's opinion (with the exception of some minor interpretation issues)?

The Game is On!

Board footera