BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2014 2:21 am  #61

Re: The Penguins of Madagascar

I just saw it today, and the moment I was waiting for arrived: Ben's mispronunciation of the word 'penguin.' Multiple times. My cousin and I were laughing from the first five minutes of the film all of the way to the end, but I have to say that the 'pengwing' parts of his dialogue were my favourite! He claimed to have wanted to go back and check that he said it right during the Graham Norton Show earlier this month, but no such changes were made. I suppose it makes it just that much more endearing! 

Agent Classified's character was the typical, overconfident rival who gets put into his place at the end. Attractiveness aside, it felt a little clichéd, but I suppose that's expected with films aimed towards younger audiences. Too bad we never learn his real name. And what a shame that the North Wind wasn't called the East Wind! 

December 7, 2014 2:34 am  #62

The Telegraph has a video of Benedict talking about playing Classified and voicing animation in the Peng-wings of Madagascar.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 1, 2015 1:40 am  #63

I just watched that delightfully funny video from Dreamworks with the young boy "interviewing" Ben about The Penguins of Madagascar.  I know it is on this thread earlier but I thought no one would mind if I put it in this post too...

Just hilarious.  The kid was so precious and Ben was absolutely in fine form as his subject. 

I did notice that he said "peng-wings" again during the interview.  I am beginning to suspect that he really can't say it unless he is concentrating on saying it correctly, because the neither the boy nor Ben paused afterwards to indicate that it was said for humourous effect.  There also wasn't that mischievious smile on his face like there was during another interview I saw recently when he was being cheeky by saying it for effect. 

I do know there are certain words I have a very hard time pronouncing (one of them is cavalry - luckily it doesn't come up too often in everyday conversation!) - I have to really concentrate before I say them.  Could this be the case with Benedict?  I do know in that interview with Keira he said it properly several times but then he might have been thinking about saying it by the time he had to enunciate the word?

At any rate I loved the whole little interview with the boy.  Some of Ben's facial expressions were so adorable.  I think my favourite was when he answered the question about having popcorn! 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 1, 2015 10:34 am  #64

Ah-chie wrote:

I do know there are certain words I have a very hard time pronouncing (one of them is cavalry - luckily it doesn't come up too often in everyday conversation!) - I have to really concentrate before I say them.  Could this be the case with Benedict?

It certainly is a possibility. I think a lot of people have problems to get their tongues around certain words. When he was at The Graham Norton Show, Graham made him say the word and it seemed as if he really had to concentrate in order to get it right. Although he also might have made it appear more difficult than it really was, for comic effect as you said.
I still can't believe that apparently nobody who was involved in that documentary realised that he didn't pronounce it properly though. As Benedict mentioned himself, he wasn't alone in the studio and there was post-production and all that stuff.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 16, 2015 6:26 pm  #65

Parade.com has posted a clip from the DVD/Blu-ray extras from Penguins. (We've seen bits of it before--maybe most of it--but it's still cute!):

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 16, 2015 6:34 pm  #66

I just love the bit when BC barks and then says (with a smile) "Still got it!"

Just hilarious!

Thanks for posting this video REReader.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 4, 2015 11:50 am  #67

I finally got to see this! I couldn't pass by the DVD at the store and not buy it when it was even on sale!

I'm still giggling! 

And I have to admit I could actually see some of Benedict in Agent Classified... stuff like the clock on his arm reminded me of his bracelet and stuff. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera