BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2013 12:49 pm  #21

Re: The next Doctor will be announced this Sunday!

I see what you mean. I am not fond of PC myself. But I think it is about time to have a women, not because of PC, but because one could explore new territory.
And it is time to have an old person again. With a young mind of course.
But you are right, it will probably be a young man, again.

August 4, 2013 12:57 pm  #22

Be wrote:

I see what you mean. I am not fond of PC myself. But I think it is about time to have a women, not because of PC, but because one could explore new territory.
And it is time to have an old person again. With a young mind of course.
But you are right, it will probably be a young man, again.

I think he could be young, middle aged or older...but the knock against someone too old is that the job is very physical.  You do many of your own stunts, and a lot of running...so I don't think they would get someone who couldn't do that.

Honestly, I don't really see why it's time for a woman.  I know they could explore a lot of different facets by making him a woman...but he would never truly "feel" like a woman to the audience.  And I think the woman would be judged on how she looks more than how she acts...which is why I'm adamantly against it.  Plus I dislike the notion that women want to see a female Doctor.  Some do, but many want to see another male ;)  

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 4, 2013 1:09 pm  #23

sj4iy wrote:

And I think the woman would be judged on how she looks more than how she acts...which is why I'm adamantly against it.    

That's a shame. But it is true. So either she has to look unusual, odd, freaky or she has to be old. Otherwise everybody would rather look at her gender attributes and talk about her measurements than her acting skills.

And of course the female audience wants a handsome young actor anyway.

August 4, 2013 1:25 pm  #24

Be wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

And I think the woman would be judged on how she looks more than how she acts...which is why I'm adamantly against it.    

That's a shame. But it is true. So either she has to look unusual, odd, freaky or she has to be old. Otherwise everybody would rather look at her gender attributes and talk about her measurements than her acting skills.

And of course the female audience wants a handsome young actor anyway.

I'm the mother of a 4 year old daughter, and as much as I hate it, that's the reality of the world we live in.  Hopefully, though, by the time she's grown up and out in the world, things will change a bit

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

August 4, 2013 1:26 pm  #25

Noo, it definitely cannot be a woman, I wouldn't like it... :/ And like you said it's nothing to do with "political correctness". This is just a kind of tradition of DW that the Doctor is a male, there's really, really no need to change it. 
Hopefully they make a good choice... and the new actor turns out to be brilliant in this role. Just in a few hours we'll finally get to know!

The Road goes ever on and on...

August 4, 2013 1:28 pm  #26

I'm looking forward to the instant analysis by every newspaper on Earth, telling me that the new Doctor will be a huge flop and the calls of "What were they thinking?!?", just like when Matt Smith was announced.  Because we know how sooooo right they were then ;)

August 4, 2013 1:37 pm  #27

From the BBC:

"However celebrity photographer Rankin appeared to confirm a male actor had been cast in the role after tweeting: "Just photographed the next Dr Who for tonight's announcement. Let me know what you think of the photo? He's going to be an ace Dr.""

August 4, 2013 1:45 pm  #28

sj4iy wrote:

From the BBC:

"However celebrity photographer Rankin appeared to confirm a male actor had been cast in the role after tweeting: "Just photographed the next Dr Who for tonight's announcement. Let me know what you think of the photo? He's going to be an ace Dr.""

*sigh with relief*

Haha, now we know it too much! When I saw Matt for the first time in DW, in a regeneration scene, I felt completely nothing, only sadness that the Tenth is gone... It took me a half of the season 5 to adjust to Matt! And now... it's likely it's just going to be the same with Matt and new Doctor! 

August 4, 2013 2:12 pm  #29

Deilenn wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

From the BBC:

*sigh with relief*

Haha, now we know it too much! When I saw Matt for the first time in DW, in a regeneration scene, I felt completely nothing, only sadness that the Tenth is gone... It took me a half of the season 5 to adjust to Matt! And now... it's likely it's just going to be the same with Matt and new Doctor! 

Honestly, I loved Matt by the end of "The Eleventh Hour".  He felt...right.  I never once thought "this isn't the Doctor".  He felt so old-school and new-school all at the same time.  I only hope we get someone as fun as he was.

August 4, 2013 5:25 pm  #30

You know, as I won't be able to watch it for I don't receive BBC anymore I will be checking in here first - so don't disappoint me about this, please!

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

August 4, 2013 5:32 pm  #31

Is it normal to be all excited by the news while having only seen two episodes of that show?

Ok, I must be a freak.

Just like old times...

August 4, 2013 5:50 pm  #32

Punch me in the face wrote:

Is it normal to be all excited by the news while having only seen two episodes of that show?

Ok, I must be a freak.

Not at all :D

August 4, 2013 5:57 pm  #33

Of course not 

James Norrington you can watch it live on BBC One through live stream, I myself am going to.

Another news: http://24.media.tumblr.com/035de85587691316397e815cd4c178a6/tumblr_mr0opnL5yk1r3rbuqo1_1280.png 

August 4, 2013 6:02 pm  #34

Deilenn wrote:

Of course not 

James Norrington you can watch it live on BBC One through live stream, I myself am going to.

Another news: http://24.media.tumblr.com/035de85587691316397e815cd4c178a6/tumblr_mr0opnL5yk1r3rbuqo1_1280.png 

Oh, thank you I'm immediately going to look for it before it's too late! Btw, the news sounds interesting, maybe it's even someone I know...

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

August 4, 2013 6:09 pm  #35

It's already started!!! Not sure how long is it going to last, they're only talking about the show now.

August 4, 2013 6:29 pm  #36

Peter Capaldi is the next Doctor :D

August 4, 2013 6:34 pm  #37

Yes At first I thought he is like old Rory... hahaha xD

August 4, 2013 7:51 pm  #38

Ronnie Pilfrey is the new Doctor?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 5, 2013 9:25 pm  #39

Wow! Brilliant choice. He was great in The Hour which the Beeb cancelled after two series for some bizarre reason!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 6, 2013 2:52 am  #40

Can't wait to see him in action!

================================================================

Board footera