BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2013 6:02 pm  #1

The next Doctor will be announced this Sunday!

In a simulcast on BBC 1 and BBC America this Sunday, the next Doctor will be introduced in front of a live studio audience.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/01/official-bbc-to-reveal-new-doctor-who-in-live-broadcast-this-sunday/

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 1, 2013 6:53 pm  #2

Re: The next Doctor will be announced this Sunday!

For sure it's going to be someone unknown to us ;]

The Road goes ever on and on...

August 1, 2013 7:24 pm  #3

I hope so  I prefer a rising star to an established one.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

August 1, 2013 8:06 pm  #4

Me too, and it's even better in many ways! I think the same was in the previous actors' cases right? I mean they hadn't been too famous before acting in DW. I started watching DW last year so the 12th Doctor is going to be my "first" new Doctor, in a sense. 

August 1, 2013 8:14 pm  #5

I also started watching with Matt Smith, although I've gone back and watched everything since 2005 (currently working my way through classic Who).  But it will definitely be different watching it in real time this time.  There will definitely be a lot of sobbing, lol.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 1, 2013 8:14 pm)

August 1, 2013 11:51 pm  #6

Can't wait! I'll be super sad to see Matt Smith go but it's exciting!

================================================================

August 2, 2013 12:16 am  #7

Who or what would you like to see for the next Doctor?

August 2, 2013 1:51 am  #8

It's hard to say who because it's almost definately going to be someone that's not particularly well know. I really loved Matt Smith. But I think each actor needs to make it their own. I just want an actor that can keep The Doctor awesome.
What about you?

August 2, 2013 2:17 am  #9

I agree, the Doctor must be awesome  I don't think it will be a woman...I just think that the role is too male for a woman to represent it correctly.  He's a bloke who travels with women.  That's the premise of the show for 50 years, and I don't think you mess with that unless you find an exceptionally rare actress who can pull it off convincingly.

I have a feeling he will be older...but I don't think (or at least I hope) that he's not too old.  I doubt he'll be ginger, lol.  I would rather it be someone unknown as well, but that's because I want someone I can look at and say "He's the Doctor"...and no one else.

August 2, 2013 2:25 am  #10

I agree. I'm not against the idea of a woman but I'd be suprised if they cast a woman. I would be disappointed if they cast a woman just for the shock of it. HA! I doubt he'll be ginger too but I'm sure he will be disappointed that he's not.
You thinking late 30's or something? I doubt they will cast a really old guy but you never know.
I guess that's the thing with The Doctor. It's such a diverse role. There have been 11 different people to act in the role and they are all totally different from one another.

August 2, 2013 2:31 am  #11

I totally agree about shock value, which seems to be the #1 reason anyone wants a woman at all.  Not because they think she would be a great Doctor...but because it's politically incorrect to have not had one...for some ridiculous reason.  It should first and foremost be about the actor/actress fitting the role as well as the story.  And if you changed the Doctor's sex...what about her companion then?  Would he have to have a male with him, because surely he wouldn't change his taste in women after 1,000 years?  So, just a few of the things I can think of that would be problematic with it.

I don't think they'll go "old" old...but definitely older than Matt Smith (which, to be fair, probably isn't difficult).   Late 30's, early 40's...maybe even late 40's.  I will be shocked if he's in his 50's or older, though.  We'll have John Hurt for the 50th, and no old guy will beat that (unless he's Patrick Stewart or Ian McKellan, and they aren't available).

August 2, 2013 3:31 am  #12

sj4iy wrote:

I totally agree about shock value, which seems to be the #1 reason anyone wants a woman at all.  Not because they think she would be a great Doctor...but because it's politically incorrect to have not had one...for some ridiculous reason.  It should first and foremost be about the actor/actress fitting the role as well as the story.  And if you changed the Doctor's sex...what about her companion then?  Would he have to have a male with him, because surely he wouldn't change his taste in women after 1,000 years?  So, just a few of the things I can think of that would be problematic with it.

I don't think they'll go "old" old...but definitely older than Matt Smith (which, to be fair, probably isn't difficult).   Late 30's, early 40's...maybe even late 40's.  I will be shocked if he's in his 50's or older, though.  We'll have John Hurt for the 50th, and no old guy will beat that (unless he's Patrick Stewart or Ian McKellan, and they aren't available).

Can we just take a moment to imagine Ian McKellan as The Doctor!

I agree that it's a problematic issue changing The Doctor to a woman. I'll be fine with it as long as she is totally awesome but I think just stick with the format. Male Doctor, female (and occationally male) companion.

Can't wait for the 50th!!

August 2, 2013 10:24 am  #13

Michele wrote:

Can we just take a moment to imagine Ian McKellan as The Doctor!

I agree that it's a problematic issue changing The Doctor to a woman. I'll be fine with it as long as she is totally awesome but I think just stick with the format. Male Doctor, female (and occationally male) companion.

Can't wait for the 50th!!

As for Ian McKellen

I completely agree with you there. The format has worked just great so far, so why change it.

Oh, and I am excited!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 2, 2013 1:20 pm  #14

Gandalf the Doctor? *tries to imagine this* haha!

And I agree too, the Doctor should stay as a male. Age doesn't really matter to me that much, but if we look back we can see that since the new series started the actors playing the Doctor are younger and younger  So I wouldn't be surprised if the 12th Doctor was even close before 30!

August 2, 2013 1:43 pm  #15

Well, the Doctor DID describe himself as "Space Gandalf" ;)

August 2, 2013 7:27 pm  #16

Hey---so  when  is  the last  episode  with Matt Smith?   I  thought he was going to stay  for the christmas one  this year  in 2013?   Is  he leaving after the 50th  anniversary movie?  (November 23rd  according to the date on the last episode aired) 

I'll  be watching this tthread  for the newest update.   I  hope  it's One of those red heads  that played the Weasley kids  on Harry Potter!!    then the dr could be ginger!!   Or,  how abt Prince Harry  of Great Britain?   He  would be perfect!!! 

Last edited by sherlockskitty (August 2, 2013 7:30 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 4, 2013 11:45 am  #17

Rupert Grint maybe. Matt is doing the 50th anniversary and the Xmas Special.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 4, 2013 12:00 pm  #18

Noooooo, I absolutely don't want Rupert Grint.  I want someone who can act

August 4, 2013 12:08 pm  #19

What about an elderly woman than? Someone like Mrs. H? Or is that odd and freaky?

August 4, 2013 12:37 pm  #20

I don't want a woman because I think people only want a woman to fulfill some sort of political agenda.  Unless it fits the story, why?  He's been male for over 1000 years and is clearly attracted to women...why would he suddenly change into a woman?  I guess I just don't want to see political correctness take over a show when it's unnecessary to do so.  And yes, I'm a woman who believes in gender equality...but not on a tv show.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Besides, I think Moffat is too traditional for that.

Board footera