BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2013 10:29 am  #1

Hi to you all from Germany!

So, now I’m here as well. And believe me: I tried to resist. ‚Not another forum‘, I said to myself. ‚You don’t have the time!‘, I said to myself. ‚Don’t register!‘, I said to myself. All those things I said to myself repeatedly over the last few days, since I found this forum. I have no idea, by the way, why it took me so long to find it, after all Sherlock and Mister Cumberbatch have been more or less the only things I’ve been searching the internet for in the last few weeks.

But as you can see (and here comes a fine little Star Trek-quote): Resistance is futile. Yes, so I’m a trekkie, and before the latest movie came out I just thought: ‚Benedict who…?!‘ There you go, won’t happen ever again. Because while I waited for the movie to be released, I sort of stumbled upon Sherlock – and the rest is history. A while ago I asked Cumberbatch-fans in another forum (which has nothing to do with Sherlock or Mister Cumberbatch whatsoever) if I would have to prepare myself for drooling Cumberbatch-fans when I go see „Into Darkness“. The answer was: YES. And I went (sort of): Oh. God. No. Oh, well. Seems ages ago... Now I would go: Oh. God. Yes., myself.

Because things changed shortly afterwards. But I have to admit: it wasn’t love at first sight, Sherlock and me. Please, don’t shout abuse. Can’t believe it myself. First sight was: a re-run of „The Blind Banker“ on German television. I happened to tune into the scene in which Sherlock and John look through all those books in their flat. And I thought: ‚Wow. Books. And lots of them. Exciting. And this posh Sherlock… a bit on the arrogant side, aren’t we?‘ Yeah, well, what can I say… I’m afraid I have absolutely nothing to say in my own defence. After about a minute I switched chanels, and that was that. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to get it.

Second sight was: a re-run of „A Scandal in Belgravia“ on German television a couple of weeks later. I had no idea of course that the beginning of the episode was the conclusion of a cliffhanger. Nevertheless (and that really says something about the quality of the show’s writing, I think) I was immediately hooked, fascinated, thrilled, in love and so not bored…! So, that was that. Couldn’t get enough, the next day I ordered both seasons on DVD – and fell in love with it all over again once I saw and heared it in the original and not the dubbed version. Oh, and imagine my shock when I realized that there are only six episodes so far. Are you kiddin’me???

Anyway, to cut a long story short: Here I am. 37 years old, living pretty much in the centre of Germany, loving the movies, books, my boyfriend… and yes, Sherlock. Let’s see how much time I’ll really be able to spend here, but so far I spent a lot of time just reading through the forum, so… I’m looking forward to getting to know you all soon!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 30, 2013 10:48 am  #2

Re: Hi to you all from Germany!

SolarSystem wrote:

... and fell in love with it all over again once I saw and heared it in the original and not the dubbed version. Oh, and imagine my shock when I realized that there are only six episodes so far. Are you kiddin’me???

I know! It was like - wait, this can't be everything, there has to be MORE!! 

Hallo and welcome! Nice that you finally found us. 

Ah, and don't feel ashamed because you needed some time to get hooked. I fell asleep when I watched it the first time on German tv. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 30, 2013 10:49 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 30, 2013 10:49 am  #3

Hi SolarSystem,
yes, it's the English version and it's the writing that got me, too.
Welcome from NRW.

Be

July 30, 2013 10:50 am  #4

If you want to hear some advice: run. Run before it is too late.
No, actually we're always happy to watch someone descend into the abyss of this show and the pain and tears it brings. It's really nice to have you here... love your name btw. 

Is it just me or is the biggest part of the forum German by now? Never dare to say again Germans have a bad taste...

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

July 30, 2013 10:53 am  #5

Thanks a lot for your nice welcome!

And yes, I really couldn't believe it when I first heared Benedict's voice... it is so different (and of course it really goes under your skin!). It's not that the dubbing is really bad or anything, it's just that it's... not quite right. But that goes for dubbing in general, I suppose.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 30, 2013 10:58 am  #6

...oh, and Lily: your advice comes a bit too late, of course. Really extraordinary, how fast I went from liking it to loving it to crying over it to being absolutely addicted.
And thanks for the compliment on the name, I just love that scene!

July 30, 2013 11:09 am  #7

Oh, look, we've got another one! Welcome to the self-help group for hopeless Sherlockians and Benaddicts. I'm another one of all those German fans seeking refuge from being looked at like: What? Sherlock? Never heard of it. 
I came here about a year ago and look what's happened. So you've been warned. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2013 11:18 am  #8

Yes, Susi, I've already seen what's happened to you when I familiarized myself with the forum a bit: They made you into a high-functioning moderator! I presume all hope's definitely lost for you.

July 30, 2013 12:40 pm  #9

Hallo und herzlich willkommen, lieber Trekkie! :D
Nice to see you around, you'll certainly enjoy it here! come in, have a seat! Cup of tea, dear?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

July 30, 2013 1:24 pm  #10

You will be assimilated...but in a nice way ;)  Hello and welcome :D

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 30, 2013 1:35 pm  #11

Thanks once again for giving me such a warm welcome! I'm already enjoying it a lot here - and being assimilated by Sherlockians doesn't seem to be such a bad prospect!

July 30, 2013 2:28 pm  #12

Hello and welcome to our lovely community, SolarSystem!
Your introduction is lovely and so is your username.
I'm sure you will have lots of fun round here, so have a great time. Make yourself at home.

Greetings from Bonn (At the moment it's rather Ruegen)
Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 30, 2013 2:44 pm  #13

Mary Me wrote:

Hello and welcome to our lovely community, SolarSystem!
Your introduction is lovely and so is your username.
I'm sure you will have lots of fun round here, so have a great time. Make yourself at home.

Greetings from Bonn (At the moment it's rather Ruegen)
Mary

Oh, then you're on holidays right now? Have a great time up there!
And thanks for your nice compliments! I wasn't so sure about writing so much, I have to admit that I don't get a chance to practice me English very often. But this could change now...

July 30, 2013 2:47 pm  #14

shouldbestudying wrote:

Hi
What a great introduction, I must admit I sneeked around here before I registered but after I read the comments people made I just knew I wanted to be part of this
I love the fact that I can have a quick peek or spend ages on here.
Have fun
SBS x

Lots of thanks to you, too! And yes, I immediately felt at home here, I was just really hesitant about joining another forum... but as you're saying, you can either just have a quick read or spend an entire day here. Have fun, too!

July 30, 2013 3:18 pm  #15

A very warm welcome from another addicted. I also need my daily dose of BC and/or Sherlock. 
Glad to see everybody here needs the same drugs ;-)
Cheers from Duesseldorf, Sava

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

July 30, 2013 4:17 pm  #16

Hi Sava and thanks for the welcome!
Ha, when ich read 'Duesseldorf' I immediately have to think about the way in which Lestrade pronounces it in "Scandal".

July 30, 2013 4:17 pm  #17

Hi SolarSystem,
I dare say you've made the right choice in joining us. Welcome!
I could never have believed myself to be staying here until today  - but this bunch of enthusiastic Sherlockians is simply irresistable! (Obvious.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 30, 2013 6:01 pm  #18

Welcome.  I'm new here myself so just exploring at the moment.  I'm sure we'll bump into one another around the place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Recognition depends in great measure on the accurate and rapid appreciation of small points,' Dr. Joseph Bell

July 30, 2013 6:17 pm  #19

Hattie Doran wrote:

Welcome.  I'm new here myself so just exploring at the moment.  I'm sure we'll bump into one another around the place.

Looking forward to it, Hattie!

tobeornot221b wrote:

Hi SolarSystem,
I dare say you've made the right choice in joining us. Welcome!
I could never have believed myself to be staying here until today  - but this bunch of enthusiastic Sherlockians is simply irresistable! (Obvious. )

And as you can see: I couldn't resist. And I'm glad, this forum really seems to be a very nice place to be, very nice indeed. 

July 30, 2013 6:21 pm  #20

Oh. God. Yes.

Best forum I've ever known 'til date. And trust me, I've got a great internet history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera