BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2013 6:19 pm  #41

Re: Elementary defenders need to drop the holier than thou

If he acted Victorian in a modern setting...that would just look weird!

And I find the Series to be very close to the canon. Moftiss are self-confessed fanboys, after all 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 27, 2014 8:39 am  #42

josabby...!!!
Loved your painstaking, highly detailed expose on both series as well as revealing the sad facts that, that blogger has major "issues"...both with race & gender!
I heartily agree with your summations...
I must admit that my first "love" concerning Sherlock was by being facinated with Basil Rathbone's portrayl.  Thought he was handsome, too! 
I find Benedict to be absolutely stunning & when I first clapped eyes on "Sherlock" in "Elementary", I was (sorry) Horrified!   Ha, ha, shallow me...putting value on how good looking a bloke is!
Got a kick out of Nigel Bruce as the good doctor & seeing a female in his role, well that's Horrifying, too!  
I side with the bunch that say, to each his own.  I won't "bash" "Elementary" any more than this & I cast my lots with the Most Excellent, Genius works of...BBC's "Sherlock"!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

July 27, 2014 9:55 am  #43

I am new to this.
Just to say I recently bought the 1st series DVD, haven't got around to watching it,, yet.
I have seen a few episodes and I do like it...it's just not really Sherlock Holmes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2014 8:44 am  #44

beasleybean...um...you said that you are new to this, then I look over & find that you have entered over 8,000 posts!!
That begs the question, you are new to...WHAT ?!

Cracks me up always!

August 1, 2014 9:49 am  #45

Elementary!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 4, 2014 1:44 pm  #46

Ooooh, beasleybean...heh, heh, thanks, sorry...I...I REALLY should have thought that one out...swallow!
Annnd, I wholeheartedly agree with you about which show portrays a more "honest" (and pleasant)  image of Mr. Holmes!

Cracks me up always!

August 4, 2014 3:36 pm  #47

I've seen all of the first series but none of the second. Just haven't got round to watching it yet. It didn't really capture me as much as Sherlock does. I have a friend of mine in a Sherlock Holmes group I attend who prefers Elementary to Sherlock and we're always arguing over it, it's amusing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 4, 2014 4:08 pm  #48

See my family are all Elementary daft, but I have to tell them the behind the scenes story and all of the politics.

Last edited by besleybean (August 4, 2014 4:08 pm)

August 4, 2014 4:33 pm  #49

I tryed to watch it. Tryed hard and fell flat for me. They have nothing in common with either Sherlock or Watson, just IMO. Should have they got other names, perhaps i would have been more open to it.... 

August 4, 2014 4:44 pm  #50

Yes it's a police procedural and I like it...but it's not really Shelock Holmes.

August 4, 2014 7:24 pm  #51

*Sidles her way in*

It was because of all of this animosity between the fandoms that brought my attention to Elementary. I didn't even know it existed until I hit a Tumblr argument about it. So, curious, I looked up 'Sherlock vs Elementary' and got slammed with article after article about how Elementary was so much better than Sherlock. My hackles were rising quickly at this point, because I get overly defensive about my show, but I thought that I better give it a shot and see what all of the fuss is about.

I couldn't make it more than fifteen minutes into the first episode before I quit. 

Did anyone else get the 'cheesy' vibe from watching Elementary? Because that was my first thought when I started it. 

I'm going to put it out there right now that I'm half-asian and a girl. Based on popular opinion of the internet, I should absolutely love Elementary because of the whole PoC complex and how Joan Watson is a strong, independant Asian woman. But... I don't. I personally saw nothing wrong with The Blind Banker, because those Chinese people acted exactly as foreign criminals should. They have accents because they're clearly not native to London. You know what: I'm going to stop this part in its tracks, because I could go on and on about this and I don't want to repeat what has already been said. 

IN MY OPINION, Sherlock is the better show because its done better. Had Sherlock gone with the director from the unaired pilot instead of the one who dictated that the Mind Palace be visible words floating around, then maybe my opinion would be a little more difficult. The cinematography of this show is what made me fall in love first. Then it was the phenomenal acting skills (Ben in the Mind Palace scene from HLV is a prime example. He took something that could have been nothing and made it both captivating and extraordinary). The chemistry between these characters came next. Then everything else settled into place. 

Frankly, and excuse my language, I don't give a sh*t that Sherlock is full of white men. SO WHAT? It doesn't matter that our Sherlock and John are men. If they were women but exactly the same as they are now, I'd probably love them just as much, because I don't care what bits they have. They're just fantastic characters. Sherlock and Joan from Elementary seem so bland in comparison. Give me Jenn Moriarty, if you want, BBC! I love MY Moriarty because he's diabolical, intelligent, and a crazy psychopath with nothing that could make him the 'misunderstood' villain because he has no motive except the fact that he's bored with life! If Jim was a girl and exactly the same, I would love her exactly the same. Simple as that. 

I don't like Elementary not because I'm an insane fangirl for Sherlock, but because it's just not a good show in my eyes. If I had never watched Sherlock and seen Elementary first, I wouldn't have liked Elementary. That's the bottom line of my opinion, and all of the fighting really just makes me a little sick. They're two completely different shows with characters who happen to have the same names. THAT'S IT.

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (August 4, 2014 7:26 pm)

August 8, 2014 9:45 am  #52

I saw the same quarell between The Office UK and US fans. You cannot watch on youtube a video from these serials without reading tons of comments about which one is better. Is that the same with House of cards?

I think Elementary is more done for the american market and is more of a crimi show, while Sherlock lost more time on characters.  

Like i said, for me, if they haven't used the name Sherlock and Watson, i might have liked better. But when you use these iconic names, you brings some expectations in me for the characters... I like a lot of american crimi series, i like Castel, Cold case, Monk. But i cannot warm myself towards Elementary...

August 8, 2014 9:56 am  #53

A lovely light wrote:

Like i said, for me, if they haven't used the name Sherlock and Watson, i might have liked better. But when you use these iconic names, you brings some expectations in me for the characters......

This.

Okay, I went in for Elementary quite a while ago and then dropped it. Also watched one or two of the episodes, but....

Now I've just read some posts in here again and, just like BreathingisBoring looked up "Sherlock vs. Elementary" out of a bit of curiousity.

Found this http://whatculture.com/tv/10-reasons-elementary-better-sherlock.php and think whoever wrote this has to watch Sherlock again.
Sherlock a super-hero which we cannot identify with? No.
Elementary the better show just because it has far more episodes than Sherlock? Hm??
Joan Watson more interesting because John Watson has no developement?? Oh really?
And point 4 "Sherlock Vs. Holmes" is not even an argument for one of the shows/actors.

So having read this I've seen enough and having thrown in this little bit I now will drop it again.
May each of us be happy with Sherlock or Elementary. Or maybe both. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 8, 2014 10:08 am  #54

Read that list.
Can dispute every item.
Can't be arsed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 9, 2014 6:10 am  #55

"The supporting cast is different"

Nooooo, really?
(And did I understand that list correctly? It says that Lestrade is an idiot and that taking drugs makes you more interesting in general? )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 9, 2014 10:48 am  #56

Schmiezi!  I love the new picture in your sig!

"He's so in friendship..............."      lmao

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 9, 2014 4:57 pm  #57

Bouncing off of Mattlocked's prime example of a weak argument, may I direct thee to this page: 

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-reasons-elementary-better-sherlock.php/9

'I like my Mycroft to be sensible yes, but no genius.'

So that's your reasoning. Mycroft isn't allowed to be a genius. Really? Really? May I point out that it is canon that Mycroft is, indeed, a bit smarter than Sherlock? 

'In your own case,' said I, 'from all that you have told me, it seems obvious that your faculty of observation and your peculiar facility for deduction are due to your own systematic training.'

'To some extent,' he answered, thoughtfully. 'My ancestors were country squires, who appear to have led much the same life as is natural to their class. But, none the less, my turn that way is in my veins, and may have come with my grandmother, who was the sister of Vernet, the French artist. Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms.'

'But how do you know that it is hereditary?'

'Because my brother Mycroft possesses it in a larger degree than I do.'
-The Greek Interpreter

'...actually in the BBC modern retelling it’s a fairly straightforward version of the character.'

This is an actual quote from the article. You just pointed out that BBC made a more accurate version of Mycroft, and yet, you argue your point that the normal Mycroft is better... really?

Last edited by BreathingIsBoring (August 9, 2014 11:03 pm)

August 9, 2014 10:29 pm  #58

(I posted this in another thread and I'm going to post it again here)

WARNING SPOILERS

I think one of the central problems that I have with "Elementary" is that it modernizes the Sherlock Holmes concept far too much. Particularly, in the way that it did some of the characters in canon.

I was really let down by the fact that they made Moriarty and Irene Adler one and the same. I was really hoping that they would do their own separate interpretations of the characters like “Sherlock” did but by merging them as one female character it struck me as a cop-out. Add the fact that they made her into a love interest. This also doesn’t sit well with me as I’ve always believed and supported the idea that Sherlock Holmes is an asexual figure whose only romance is with his work.

However, more disappointing was the way they did Mycroft.  In both the original stories and especially in “Sherlock”, Mycroft is a rather “cool” person but in this show he is bland. He isn’t smarter or as smart as Sherlock as he is just a normal person. There is also no friendly rivalry or mutual respect between them as Sherlock simply loathes him. Not to mention that they have him as a mere MI-6 informant instead of someone who sits at the top of the intelligence world to the point that he practically is the British government.

I think the difference between “Elementary’ and “Sherlock” is that the latter is a bold,modern reinvention of the Sherlock Holmes stories and canon while the former is simply a CBS crime procedural starring Sherlock Holmes. We also must remember that the original Sherlock Holmes stories were neither procedurals nor “whodoneits” (if you want that read Agatha Christie’s work) but rather adventures involving deduction or sleuthing and that is what made them unique. I think Moffat and Gatiss realize this, which is why “Sherlock” has been able to capture the general spirit and style of Conan Doyle’s stories so well.

August 11, 2014 4:30 am  #59

Swanpride wrote:

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but I did watch most of season one...and I might have liked it as "non-sherlock adaptation" if not for the fake political correctness and episodes which give me constant deja vus because they could just as well fit into "Castle" or "The Mentalist". I get why people enjoy it...just...don't try to tell me that it is a good Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

I gotta chime-in here and whole-heartedly agree!
Well put, too, Swanpride!  I think perhaps I would be able to watch the show (Elementary) if it had a different title.
I just cannot bear it at this juncture, with images of Benedict's & even Basil Rathbone's stellar performances flashing through my own personal...Appledore....
Not to mention the suberb writing/directing/producing genius' of the BBC team! 

Last edited by Harobed (August 11, 2014 4:39 am)

Cracks me up always!

August 12, 2014 6:12 pm  #60

I agree about the MoriartyIrene 'merging'. To me it just felt like their items fell into the trap that, whilst trying to be 'different', they ended up just being smartarses. There is a difference between being clever and being pretentious and fatuous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera