BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2013 7:17 pm  #21

Re: Elementary defenders need to drop the holier than thou

Can I just say that I never realized House was actually supposed to be a Holmes adaptation?
This show never tried to get the all ratings through the name of this cult figure. That's why I'm fine with it and I think that was also Swanpride's point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 26, 2013 7:19 pm  #22

Swanpride wrote:

You are right about the hommage, but either the word adaptation has a much broader meaning in English, or they aren't ones in the sense I meant. They are based on the general concept. But I don't see them as adaptations because they don't really work with the source text. Therefore they have much more freedom to change things around than Elementary (though, even if Elementary was named differently, it would still be miles away from both shows). If someone would make a Sherlock Holmes show with a lead character with the backstory of House, I would bitch to no end that this isn't Sherlock Holmes, because the backstory is totally different.

A loose adaptation is still an adaptation.  "House" may not be as faithful of an adaptation as "Sherlock"...but it still is an adaptation.  Just like "Elementary".  Just like the recent RDJ "Sherlock Holmes" movies.  They all appeal to different people, and some people will want the more faithful adaptations, and some won't care.  I don't know what people thought over in Europe, but in the US, everyone was pretty aware that House was a Sherlock Holmes' adaptation.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 26, 2013 7:29 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 26, 2013 8:27 pm  #23

Yep, even down to House's apartment number!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

July 27, 2013 2:46 am  #24

I've always thought it was so silly for fandoms to fight.  

Everyone is allowed to like what they like.  

And why should you have to pick one?  I've seen people fight over which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek.  I love them both and I make no apologises.

I have no opinion on Elementary because I have had no desire to watch it.  Too totally obsessed with Sherlock to even care.  

Discussing why we like something and having different opinions is one thing, but life is too short to acively hate on a form of entertainment.

Hope some of that made sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 27, 2013 2:49 am  #25

tonnaree wrote:

I've always thought it was so silly for fandoms to fight.  

Everyone is allowed to like what they like.  

And why should you have to pick one?  I've seen people fight over which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek.  I love them both and I make no apologises.

I have no opinion on Elementary because I have had no desire to watch it.  Too totally obsessed with Sherlock to even care.  

Discussing why we like something and having different opinions is one thing, but life is too short to acively hate on a form of entertainment.

Hope some of that made sense.

^This x 100

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 27, 2013 6:26 am  #26

sj4iy wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I've seen people fight over which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek 

Jam and marmalade isn't a battle.

Some people like sweet things which can turn revolting and others prefer a tangy self preserving thing which usually always deliver.

Marmalade is clearly the winner if it were a battle.

No contest!?!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

July 27, 2013 1:48 pm  #27

I've always preferred jam, myself.  Guess it's a Southern US thing

July 27, 2013 6:10 pm  #28

sj4iy wrote:

I've always preferred jam, myself.  Guess it's a Southern US thing

Not me....cream cheese!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

July 28, 2013 11:50 am  #29

Well just one last reply. (although on the Jam/maralade argument they're both better when they' home made )
It's the Chemistry between actors that can make or break a show.  I read swanpride's article and one good point she made was about Lucy Liu's lack of inflection, though it's the enture cast, I'd put that one: Sherlock himself, Gregson, Bell, the suspects and killers.  They all say their lines with almost no inflection whatsoever.  I've seen JLM, Lucy Liu, and Aidan Quinn speak with inflection and do a great job.  Elementary would be at least an entertaining show if they characters could speak with distinct, unique inflection like they do on House and Bones.

But there is the issue with Chemistry between the actors.
here are a couple videos JLM and Lucy Liu. 

They seem to get a long well enough, but don't seem to thoroughly enjoy each other's company or have little in jokes or play off each other like Benedict and Martin do, or Jude Law and RDJ.

Here are Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law in an interview

and of course: Here's Benedict and Martin

I know people say that Male-female interaction isn't the same as a bromance, but I say rubbish.  Here are a couple examples:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

July 30, 2013 12:30 pm  #30

That's something I've always thought.  The people who make the show are too afraid to allow even an ounce of chemstry between the leads because they are afraid people will think it's romantic.  They brag about taking risks, so maybe they should risk it.  If fans ship Sherlock and Joan, so what?  Fans of Bendict and Martin, ship Sherlock and John, but it doesn't mean they'll hook up.  The same can be said about Quinto and Pine's Kirk and Spock, Wesley and Angel, JD and Turk, Harry and Ron, ect.  Bromances make good stories even better.  So what if people ship them?  Good stories inspire all kinds of imagination.  How many people interpreted Harry Potter's friendship with Hermione or Luna as romantic.  It didn't change the fact that Harry ended up with Ginny, and the romantic outcome in the canon did not stop the fanfiction.
But it isn't just Joan and Sherlock who lack chemistry.  It's the whole cast.  I saw an interview of the CBS website where JLM and Aidan Quinn were side by side.  They didn't really look at each other, and gave text book answers about their characters. 
Benedict's Sherlock has very unique ways interacting with John, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, Molly, Mycroft, Donovan, Anderson, suspects, various clients, ect.  All the actors play off and react to each other.  The Elementary casts (regulars and guest stars) almost seem bored.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

November 6, 2013 7:13 pm  #31

josabby wrote:

Sorry, I had to rant.
I don't care that Elementary exists.  I don't care that people enjoy it more than Sherlock.  What burns my biscuits is the Elementary fans, who act like they have some sort of right to rip the BBC show, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Moffit, Gatiss, and everyone else involved to shreds just because some very vocal BBC fans felt that Elementary was ripping off the BBC series, and it wasn't unfounded.  If someone in a BBC vs CBS discussion, expresses why they don't like Elementary, the Elementary fans jump all over the BBC fans and accuse them of being bitter BBC fans.

First thank you, josabby, for posting this because I am one of those who has been ripped apart on Tumblr (had anonymous F-bombs hurled at me) just because I dare express my views on Elementary. Yes I watch and yes I like it sometimes but mostly those times come when the writers leave SH canon alone because I usually hate the twists they have on it i.e. Irene/Moriarty for example!

I agree with everything said here, especially about JLM and Lucy Liu not having any chemistry... they've gotten better as the show has gone on but in the first season they had zero, zlich, nada to speak of whereas the chemistry between Benedict and Martin was evident the moment John steps into the lab and Sherlock asks him "Afghanistan or Iraq?". I have used that scene to win people over to Sherlock because as I said the chemistry between them is just amazing from the start!

Also Elementary fans have nothing to crow about because if everyone will recall the producers of that show originally wanted to Americanize Sherlock but were denied permission by the BBC so their show was born instead! If Sherlock is such crap as the Elementary fans seem to think then why did its producers seek to Americanize in the first place?

Last minor thing... they set Elementary in NYC - BIG DEAL! To me any so-called Sherlock Holmes not set in his beloved London, whether it be a Victorian Holmes or modern Holmes, is not in fact Sherlock Holmes! And Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (not that Joan is a doctor) should always live at 221B Baker Street!

Elementary may have quantity of so many episodes but it is Sherlock that has quality in the 6 aired episodes and without a doubt in the 3 that are still yet to air!

Last edited by BrettianHolmesFan (November 6, 2013 7:20 pm)

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 26, 2013 12:17 pm  #32

Swanpride wrote:

I guess what bothers me most about Elementary is totally unrelated to Sherlock...it is the fact that so many people believe it being a good Sherlock Holmes adaptation. The thing has nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes. I want to trottle everyone who says that he likes Elementary better because Holmes is more human, and because Watson is just as intelligent as him. I can deal with those who say "It has nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes, but I enjoy it as unrelated show"

First of all, it's not like the BBC show makes John unintelligent.  As written, the BBC Watson is very intellegent.  You don't get to be a doctor without having some sort of brain.  And his emotional intelligence at times gets Sherlock out of situations he doesn't fully understand.

Secondly, Watson is NOT suppose to be just as intelligent as Sherlock.  That's what makes Sherlock, Sherlock.  His amazing mind.  No one else can do what he does.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 27, 2013 8:45 pm  #33

Elementary is a bad adaptation of Sherlock Holmes but a good show, Sherlock is an okay adaptation of Sherlock Holmes and a great show.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

November 28, 2013 7:27 pm  #34

I think Sherlock is rather more than an "okay" adaptation...we're on a fan forum after all...

And despite its modern setting, it's still more faithful to the canon than some...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 28, 2013 10:19 pm  #35

It is 'okay' compared with the Granada series. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2013 10:47 pm  #36

So you're not much of a fan, then? No offense, but...if you're not that into it then how come you joined the forum dedicated to it? Curious...

I've seen the Granada series, and I much prefer this one. 

Last edited by kittykat (November 28, 2013 10:49 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 28, 2013 11:06 pm  #37

Jacco111 wrote:

It is 'okay' compared with the Granada series. 

I love Granada as well but I do not compare either series to each other because one is set in Victorian days and the other in present day. Now Jeremy Brett is my Holmes and always will be but Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant in his own right so I'd have to say he is my second favorite.

Last edited by BrettianHolmesFan (November 29, 2013 4:42 pm)

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 30, 2013 2:12 pm  #38

I think the "This is the better show" fans on both sides are wrong. I like Sherlock and I also like Elementary. They are two different shows and have both positives and negatives. Both actors have some characteristics of the fictional detective and both shows play with the characters and situations of canon. 

It's all good. I actually like Elementary because Liu's character is portrayed as a multi-dimensioned person rather than the awful "sexy" River Song/Irene Adler of Sherlock or the mousy Molly. YVMV but there's room enough for two different shows about Holmes.  

As for the real Sherlock as stated above-Granada is almost flawles IMHO.

Last edited by tardislass (November 30, 2013 2:13 pm)

November 30, 2013 2:22 pm  #39

Sorry but I don't see anything interesting in the female Dr Watson. And if you think Molly is no more than a mousy pathologist you are wrong, my friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

November 30, 2013 6:05 pm  #40

kittykat wrote:

So you're not much of a fan, then? No offense, but...if you're not that into it then how come you joined the forum dedicated to it? Curious...

I've seen the Granada series, and I much prefer this one. 

I said that it was a great show... But I am more a fan of Sherlock Holmes, the literary character, and if I compare Sherlock to the books, there is just way too much change.

Last edited by Jacco111 (November 30, 2013 6:06 pm)

Board footera