BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



July 15, 2013 3:58 am  #21


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Michele wrote:

I've read some. I've got most of them on my bookshelf waiting for my attention. I've also read The  Lost World which I really enjoyed. I hadn't read any at school or as a child so while I'm sure I would have looked at them eventually the show really inspired me to pick them up sooner, thankfully!
Such great stories!

Awesome!!! It's good to take your time with books like Sherlock I wanted to finish it quickly so I went through them really quickly and I kinda wish I hadn't But it was a wonderful read!!!


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
 

July 15, 2013 4:22 am  #22


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

221BBakerStreet_ wrote:

Michele wrote:

I've read some. I've got most of them on my bookshelf waiting for my attention. I've also read The  Lost World which I really enjoyed. I hadn't read any at school or as a child so while I'm sure I would have looked at them eventually the show really inspired me to pick them up sooner, thankfully!
Such great stories!

Awesome!!! It's good to take your time with books like Sherlock I wanted to finish it quickly so I went through them really quickly and I kinda wish I hadn't But it was a wonderful read!!!

I'm reading some of the short stories at the moment. It's fun trying to solve the case before Sherlock announces it all at the end. I've got pretty close for the most part. Shame I'm not able to apply that to Reichenbach!
I also get a real kick when I read something that they have used in the show. Goes to show just how connected the writers are to the books which for me just makes it an even better show.

Last edited by Michele (July 15, 2013 4:24 am)


================================================================
http://i.imgur.com/xVw8L.jpg
 

July 15, 2013 4:33 am  #23


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Michele wrote:

221BBakerStreet_ wrote:

Michele wrote:

I've read some. I've got most of them on my bookshelf waiting for my attention. I've also read The  Lost World which I really enjoyed. I hadn't read any at school or as a child so while I'm sure I would have looked at them eventually the show really inspired me to pick them up sooner, thankfully!
Such great stories!

Awesome!!! It's good to take your time with books like Sherlock I wanted to finish it quickly so I went through them really quickly and I kinda wish I hadn't But it was a wonderful read!!!

I'm reading some of the short stories at the moment. It's fun trying to solve the case before Sherlock announces it all at the end. I've got pretty close for the most part. Shame I'm not able to apply that to Reichenbach!
I also get a real kick when I read something that they have used in the show. Goes to show just how connected the writers are to the books which for me just makes it an even better show.

Awesome!! Yes, I totally love when I catch something like that. Like in the Great Game the scene where they first get the pink phone, Sherlock mentions Orange Pips I loved that!! And then the case that Mycroft wanted Sherlock to solve I loved that it had so much to do with the book!
 


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 15, 2013 6:54 am  #24


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Yes, I read them all, about 10 times.


 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

 
 

July 15, 2013 6:56 am  #25


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Jacco111 wrote:

Yes, I read them all, about 10 times.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 15, 2013 7:08 am  #26


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Yeah, but I started when I was very young, I was about 8 when I first read The Hound of the Baskervilles ;) (I'm 19 now)


 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

 
 

July 15, 2013 7:22 am  #27


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Jacco111 wrote:

Yeah, but I started when I was very young, I was about 8 when I first read The Hound of the Baskervilles ;) (I'm 19 now)

Awesome! I just finished reading them on May 24 I remember that because it was the last day of School
 


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 15, 2013 4:47 pm  #28


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

I have read the complete canon in Chinese when in junior high...and forgot most of it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png

Now, after watching Sherlock, I am reading the oringinal version...now in the middle of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band". http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


(BTW, thumbs down to Twilight, too.)


-------------------------------------------------
--------
“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell? Who could come to-night? Some friends of yours, perhaps?”

“Except yourself I have none,” he answered.

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Five Orange PipsThe Adventures of Sherlock Holms
 

July 15, 2013 5:00 pm  #29


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Shell wrote:

I have read the complete canon in Chinese when in junior high...and forgot most of it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png

Now, after watching Sherlock, I am reading the oringinal version...now in the middle of "The Adventure of the Speckled Band". http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


(BTW, thumbs down to Twilight, too.)

Awesome!! The Adventure of the Speckled Band is one of the well known ones I had heard it before I read it so I kinda know some about it It was a awesome read
 


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 17, 2013 12:22 am  #30


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

I also did read all of them. Currently, I have them on as an audio book, wonderfully read, though it is not Ben who reads it ;-)
The large annotated versions are on my christmas list, can't wait. The reviews are raving about it anyway.


______________________________________________________________________________
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/maggi131313/sign_zps21165d39.jpg Oh.God.Yes.
 

July 17, 2013 12:24 am  #31


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Maggi13 wrote:

I also did read all of them. Currently, I have them on as an audio book, wonderfully read, though it is not Ben who reads it ;-)
The large annotated versions are on my christmas list, can't wait. The reviews are raving about it anyway.

What is the annotated version?


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 17, 2013 12:31 am  #32


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

It is a large book with a margin as wide as the actual writing goes, only that in the outer margins trivia, pictures and a lot of comments from ACD are written. The red parts are the notes.
Can't wait to get my hands on it

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/maggi131313/annotated_zps7fc0017b.png


______________________________________________________________________________
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/maggi131313/sign_zps21165d39.jpg Oh.God.Yes.
 

July 17, 2013 12:33 am  #33


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Maggi13 wrote:

It is a large book with a margin as wide as the actual writing goes, only that in the outer margins trivia, pictures and a lot of comments from ACD are written. The red parts are the notes.
Can't wait to get my hands on it

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/maggi131313/annotated_zps7fc0017b.png

That is awesome!!!! I want that so bad!!!!!! Thanks for showing me this!!!
 


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 17, 2013 12:38 am  #34


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

You are very welcome. Be prepared, there are three of them http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png
and they are really large books. 
Lots and lots of Sherlock..


______________________________________________________________________________
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y483/maggi131313/sign_zps21165d39.jpg Oh.God.Yes.
 

July 17, 2013 12:39 am  #35


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Maggi13 wrote:

You are very welcome. Be prepared, there are three of them http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png
and they are really large books. 
Lots and lots of Sherlock..

YAY!!!!!!!!


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 17, 2013 1:03 pm  #36


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

I've ordered the complete Sherlock Holmes canon on amazon. Can't wait for it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Something to read during my holidays!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"



http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh602/Chiavra/ebd74ea2-f90d-45d6-98e3-63472f860813_zpsceaa7b31.jpg?t=1369572633
 

July 17, 2013 4:03 pm  #37


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Mary Me wrote:

I've ordered the complete Sherlock Holmes canon on amazon. Can't wait for it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Something to read during my holidays!

Awesome!!!! Enjoy them and don't speed through them!!! Best read ever!!!


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 17, 2013 4:48 pm  #38


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

221BBakerStreet_ wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

I've ordered the complete Sherlock Holmes canon on amazon. Can't wait for it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Something to read during my holidays!

Awesome!!!! Enjoy them and don't speed through them!!! Best read ever!!!

Oh I will! It also looks very beautiful with its golden leather cover. I know it's gonna be my favorite book soon http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/love.png


http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9781435114944_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Photo: imagesbn.com

Last edited by Mary Me (July 17, 2013 4:51 pm)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"



http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh602/Chiavra/ebd74ea2-f90d-45d6-98e3-63472f860813_zpsceaa7b31.jpg?t=1369572633
 

July 17, 2013 4:52 pm  #39


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

Mary Me wrote:

221BBakerStreet_ wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

I've ordered the complete Sherlock Holmes canon on amazon. Can't wait for it. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Something to read during my holidays!

Awesome!!!! Enjoy them and don't speed through them!!! Best read ever!!!

Oh I will! It also looks very beautiful with its golden leather cover. I know it's gonna be my favorite book soon http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/love.png

 

OOOOOOOO your getting that one!!!! Lucky!!!!! I have one but I want to get a nicer one, the one I have is torn a little after I was done reading it :D


------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes


http://www.weta.org/files/images/sherlockquiz_mycroft.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHylrGt8yI1O9ZUJ4ONBB7JxicO9_E_1hP82PlKFgLu7zNsZQc


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73jOT8wbKUOsvVgLVQ0nt1T8lXCzkahiD8kEp-JXaLhMRh4JrBQ

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

1895

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

 
     Thread Starter
 

July 17, 2013 5:25 pm  #40


Re: Have you read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon?

I have, probably when I was about 11 or so. And I bloody envy those of you who haven't, you had that to come :-).

I'd love to find a really well read audio book, with a more modern Watson, as opposed to those harrumphing country doctor types they normally have. No one in Britain actually speaks like that any more. My partner and I have a six hour round trip journey at the weekend and I was going to get something off audible but I was really put off by the stuff there. OTOH the reading of the House of Silk (the Anthony Horowitz tribute) is superlative.

Last edited by beekeeper (July 17, 2013 5:26 pm)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum