BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2013 10:54 pm  #1

transport

Sherlock doesn't bother to eat or sleep while on a case.
I'm not at all certain how he does that without a brain numbing headache.  I'm bad about eating enough, and I'll call an energy drink and a power bar breakfast and lunch.  Sometimes, I may skip dinner as well.

Mind over master goes only so far.

And I've done the not eating for 2-3 says in a row. It messes up your GI track somethingsomething awful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 11, 2013 11:09 pm  #2

Re: transport

butterfly grl wrote:

I'm not at all certain how he does that without a brain numbing headache. I'm bad about eating enough, and I'll call an energy drink and a power bar breakfast and lunch. Sometimes, I may skip dinner as well.

And I've done the not eating for 2-3 says in a row. It messes up your GI track somethingsomething awful.

I'm not sure how much "mind over matter" is necessary, because the cases we've seen rarely last more than 24 hours.

Sherlock seems just fine with eating when he is not working and is still quite lean and that suggests a high metabolism.  People who have a higher ratio of muscle to fat, easily convert fat to sugar and so, keep a normal blood sugar count which avoids headaches. 

However, it's TV and it's fiction.  Plenty of what goes on in the show doesn't make a bit of sense in reality.  So, we just "suspend our disbelief" and ....

July 12, 2013 1:50 am  #3

Sherlock eats of course (he has to or his mind would be absolutely out of balance), but I just don't think we ever actually see it on screen.  He can go, and does go, days without eating as he said he hasn't eaten in 2-3 days in the "A Study in Pink"?  But at the end he brought to John's attention that 'There's a good Chinese place open until 2am'.  

I rarely eat 3 meals a day, most of the time I eat one meal a day (if that) and that messes me up more, but since I have gotten use to that schedule.....it's just a normal patter now.

I think Sherlock probably has more snacks rather than meals.  It is true about what Mysteria says, most cases take place under 24hrs, so when we don't see him eat remember it's not really that long for the characters in the series.  Sherlock seems to have a fast metabolism and he is more obsessed with his work than anything (it keeps him occupied).  When you become occupied with something or someone you tend to focus less on eating and more on that thing/person.

It's kind of like when you have a crush on someone and they keep you from eating haha.  Your mind and body is still working normally (other than day dreaming ;p), but you are consuming less 'matter' because your mind is busy focusing on something other than food and hunger.

July 12, 2013 6:56 am  #4

It is also a direct reference to the original Sherlock Holmes in the canon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2013 11:01 am  #5

His cases are a kind of his food, so... ;P

But seriously, I think not everyone must eat often to function normally and feel well.. It seems Sherlock is one of them.
I just recalled how in one of the books, when Sherlock accounces that he has to go out, Mrs Hudson asks him what time he wants to have a supper, and Sherlock answers something like (if I rememebr rightly) "Friday, at 7.30pm", while Friday was going to be in not until a few days (I might have paraphrased a bit, but I think general sense has been kept). xD

Last edited by Deilenn (July 12, 2013 11:01 am)

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 23, 2013 9:33 am  #6

'Digestion slows me down'
This is a quote from Sherlock in TBB.

What comes quickly to my mind in reference to this sentence, is the fact what starving does to body and mind in purposely going without food.
In many cultures around the world is starving with purpose (sorry, don' t know if the phrase is right - hope you know what I mean) a way to clear the mind and being able to think in more depth.

Note: please don't do this without doctor's advice and a professional plan.

Some years ago I tried this out (with a plan) for four days. Interesting experience. :o) Besides the fact of fantasising about (evil and delicious) slices of pizza, it seemed to work in the case of 'proper thinking' - at least I tend to believe it has been. ;o)

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

July 24, 2013 5:55 am  #7

'Fasting' is the word you want here. 'Evil AND delicious' ...like Andrew Scott's Moriarty! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 25, 2013 6:25 pm  #8

^ Yes, thank you, Davina!
Fasting.

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

July 25, 2013 6:44 pm  #9

He probably grazes throughout the day instead of sitting down to meals.  He just seems the type.  We've seen him grab a pastry out of Mrs. Hudson's fridge in ASiB, and we've seen him drink coffee and tea, and talk about eating the same things as John in THoB.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 26, 2013 11:19 am  #10

That was no pastry! That was a mince pie! Lol! 

October 3, 2013 10:49 am  #11

butterfly grl wrote:

I'm not at all certain how he does that without a brain numbing headache. I'm bad about eating enough, and I'll call an energy drink and a power bar breakfast and lunch. Sometimes, I may skip dinner as well.

I agree. I am the worst at eating regularly. I don't have normal hunger or thirst, so I have to set an alarm (especially now with hypoglycemia - goody!)

But have we seen Sherlock go much more than 24 hours without food? I actually think the pilot hinted that he might fast for several days - but if he slowly eases back into normal eating, who knows? It also depends where he gets his calories from...if it's largely shakes and drinks and soft foods like soup, it wouldn't be as shocking for him.

October 3, 2013 10:52 am  #12

Deilenn wrote:

His cases are a kind of his food, so... ;P

But seriously, I think not everyone must eat often to function normally and feel well.. It seems Sherlock is one of them.
I just recalled how in one of the books, when Sherlock accounces that he has to go out, Mrs Hudson asks him what time he wants to have a supper, and Sherlock answers something like (if I rememebr rightly) "Friday, at 7.30pm", while Friday was going to be in not until a few days (I might have paraphrased a bit, but I think general sense has been kept). xD

This amuses me. The fact that he'll skip meals for several days but then be so insistent about 7:30 pm. Yes, 7:30. Not 7 and not 8 ;)

October 3, 2013 8:45 pm  #13

Manticone wrote:

But have we seen Sherlock go much more than 24 hours without food?

I'm not sure if we've actually seen him without food for more than 24 hours, but what we have seen more than once is John eating while he is with Sherlock - and Sherlock doesn't eat. It's that contrast that makes it even more noticeable that Sherlock doesn't seem to eat on a regular basis.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 9, 2013 10:01 am  #14

thank u all..

Board footera