BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2013 1:38 pm  #61

Re: Sherlock panel at San Diego Comic Con (Series 3 Spoiler Warning)

The closest I've ever been to filming locations is Google Maps Street View

It's not bad; you can go to the spot where Martin stood during that scene in Reichenbach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 23, 2013 1:46 pm  #62

kittykat wrote:

The closest I've ever been to filming locations is Google Maps Street View

It's not bad; you can go to the spot where Martin stood during that scene in Reichenbach.

Well, I'm talking more about the people who act like they are entitled because they live in the UK.  It would be like someone in here saying "I live in the UK, so that makes me a better Sherlock Holmes fan than anyone living in another country".  We know that's not true...yet people are saying it about Doctor Who.  I don't begrudge the people who where there and were able to see it, because that's what the convention is for.  We all could go to it, if we wanted to.  But most people can't afford to or don't have the time.  I live on the opposite side of the US from that convention, so it would be insanely expensive for me, too.  But all the more power to the people who went.  Would I have been excited about seeing a trailer?  Of course.  Would I have loved to see the Sherlock clip?  Definitely.  But am I going to say that someone is a less deserving fan simply because they live in another country?  Of course not- and that's what some of these people are arguing.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 23, 2013 1:47 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 23, 2013 1:52 pm  #63

I would never say something like that. I'm happy that the show has such a huge following

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 23, 2013 1:55 pm  #64

sj4iy wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Anyone watched the clip where Matt Smith walks down the Comic Con floor, disguised as Bart, and nobody recognizes him?  Laughed so hard at this.

Loved it!  Especially when he affected an American accent XD  Probably smart, he does have a very recognizable voice.

Small rant again: can I just say that the whining over the Doctor Who trailer being shown at Comic Con has reached a fever pitch?  It's insane.  People (no one on this board, though) are actually complaining that the UK never gets "anything" exclusive at all.  What???  I guess it's this idea that one fanbase has more "right" to something than another that bothers me.  The UK is getting lots of Doctor Who exclusives (concerts, guest appearances, conventions, museums, stamps, etc)...and yet some people can't accept the fact that they have to "wait" to see a trailer for something everyone is going to see eventually.

Okay, rant off.

When people think that they're treated unfairly they will always act like this. I acknowledge that I can be a real pain in the ass when I feel that something's not fair.
However, my opinion is that every fan should be equally involved in the latest news.

Back to Matt Smith. I bet that every person he tried to talk to is hating themselves right now. Especially the Dr Who fans.
I mean, I would recognize Benedict Cumberbatch in any mask. Even at a distance of hundred metres. Behind a wall. At lunar eclipse.
Which goes to show that the Comic Con is a real anonymous event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 23, 2013 1:55 pm  #65

kittykat wrote:

I would never say something like that. I'm happy that the show has such a huge following

The more the merrier, in my opinion  Both shows are really starting to take hold over here, so I hope they gain more in popularity.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 23, 2013 2:04 pm  #66

Mary Me wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Anyone watched the clip where Matt Smith walks down the Comic Con floor, disguised as Bart, and nobody recognizes him?  Laughed so hard at this.

Loved it!  Especially when he affected an American accent XD  Probably smart, he does have a very recognizable voice.

Small rant again: can I just say that the whining over the Doctor Who trailer being shown at Comic Con has reached a fever pitch?  It's insane.  People (no one on this board, though) are actually complaining that the UK never gets "anything" exclusive at all.  What???  I guess it's this idea that one fanbase has more "right" to something than another that bothers me.  The UK is getting lots of Doctor Who exclusives (concerts, guest appearances, conventions, museums, stamps, etc)...and yet some people can't accept the fact that they have to "wait" to see a trailer for something everyone is going to see eventually.

Okay, rant off.

When people think that they're treated unfairly they will always act like this. I acknowledge that I can be a real pain in the ass when I feel that something's not fair.
However, my opinion is that every fan should be equally involved in the latest news.

Back to Matt Smith. I bet that every person he tried to talk to is hating themselves right now. Especially the Dr Who fans.
I mean, I would recognize Benedict Cumberbatch in any mask. Even at a distance of hundred metres. Behind a wall. At lunar eclipse.
Which goes to show that the Comic Con is a real anonymous event.

Sometimes I think the internet has spoiled me into thinking I should see everything when it happens.  Then I have to take a step back and remember that I will get to see it, eventually.  I think, regarding the trailer, people need to do that.  They haven't been ripped off in any way- they have just convinced themselves that they were.  "I buy all of this stuff, I pay for a tv license, I should get everything first and foremost!"  Well, they didn't go to the convention where it was shown...and that's it.  They could have, but like most people, they probably didn't have the money or the time.  That's not the fault of the people who were there.  Like I said, my only real issue was that rumors starting flying around that everyone would get a trailer...and it wasn't counteracted quickly.  That just made people angrier.  But it's been two days now, I think they should get on with other things.

I probably would have talked to "Bart" simply because I was raised in an area that teaches you to be polite and talk to anyone who is trying to talk to you, lol.  Although I may have thought he was hitting on me XD

July 23, 2013 2:28 pm  #67

What would you have done when you realised who it was?

July 23, 2013 2:30 pm  #68

kittykat wrote:

I would have probably been like "oh, that's cool".  I'm really not a celebrity person.  It would be a cool story, though.

July 23, 2013 2:32 pm  #69

sj4iy wrote:

kittykat wrote:

I would have probably been like "oh, that's cool".  I'm really not a celebrity person.  It would be a cool story, though.

Not flirting back? 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 23, 2013 2:33 pm  #70

Mary Me wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Not flirting back? 

As a happily married woman...yes, I probably would have flirted back ;D  But all in fun.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 23, 2013 2:38 pm)

July 23, 2013 2:44 pm  #71

I don't know what I'd do if I met Benedict...oh dear, those cheekbones!

July 23, 2013 8:37 pm  #72

Mary Me wrote:

Ha... yes!      Besides the video 'hello' from the boys, one of the cutest clips to come out of the Con.  Ahem...  asides, of course, from the unfairly insane amount of awesomeness that is Tom Hiddleston, walking out as Loki, staying completely in -character- as Loki, addressing the masses before the Marvel panel started and totally taking over 'his army'...     

As far as Smith goes, heh... I bet most people weren't paying attention to the voice and just seeing the camera and mask and automatically assuming 'oh, weird media ploy, just leave them alone.'  Heck, Hugh Jackman decided to play along with the fun and I heard he walked the floor dressed as Wolverine, only a few people stopping to bug him!  One person even pointed out things he needed to do to 'look more like the real one'!     Goes to show what people are used to there, and what just totally unfazes or flies under the radar.  As much as we love them, I bet even some of our favorite cast could do similar....  ;P  Although I'd probably melt a bit if it were Benedict....

Hopefully after a couple days, the kind of people who get more harshly outspoken vocal about it will have calmed down... sure, I wish I could see all the awesome stuff you Brits have on your side of the pond, and not all of us here got to be there either, but no fair claiming any are 'better'.  Annoying (especially how they sometimes handle it, and given the 'internet age') but 'exclusives' are so typical for big media extravaganzas.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 23, 2013 8:43 pm  #73

Russell wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Ha... yes! Besides the video 'hello' from the boys, one of the cutest clips to come out of the Con. Ahem... asides, of course, from the unfairly insane amount of awesomeness that is Tom Hiddleston, walking out as Loki, staying completely in -character- as Loki, addressing the masses before the Marvel panel started and totally taking over 'his army'...

As far as Smith goes, heh... I bet most people weren't paying attention to the voice and just seeing the camera and mask and automatically assuming 'oh, weird media ploy, just leave them alone.' Heck, Hugh Jackman decided to play along with the fun and I heard he walked the floor dressed as Wolverine, only a few people stopping to bug him! One person even pointed out things he needed to do to 'look more like the real one'! Goes to show what people are used to there, and what just totally unfazes or flies under the radar. As much as we love them, I bet even some of our favorite cast could do similar.... ;P Although I'd probably melt a bit if it were Benedict....

Hopefully after a couple days, the kind of people who get more harshly outspoken vocal about it will have calmed down... sure, I wish I could see all the awesome stuff you Brits have on your side of the pond, and not all of us here got to be there either, but no fair claiming any are 'better'. Annoying (especially how they sometimes handle it, and given the 'internet age') but 'exclusives' are so typical for big media extravaganzas.

I wonder if the camera following him around tipped anyone off?

July 24, 2013 6:06 am  #74

sj4iy wrote:

Russell wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Ha... yes! Besides the video 'hello' from the boys, one of the cutest clips to come out of the Con. Ahem... asides, of course, from the unfairly insane amount of awesomeness that is Tom Hiddleston, walking out as Loki, staying completely in -character- as Loki, addressing the masses before the Marvel panel started and totally taking over 'his army'...

As far as Smith goes, heh... I bet most people weren't paying attention to the voice and just seeing the camera and mask and automatically assuming 'oh, weird media ploy, just leave them alone.' Heck, Hugh Jackman decided to play along with the fun and I heard he walked the floor dressed as Wolverine, only a few people stopping to bug him! One person even pointed out things he needed to do to 'look more like the real one'! Goes to show what people are used to there, and what just totally unfazes or flies under the radar. As much as we love them, I bet even some of our favorite cast could do similar.... ;P Although I'd probably melt a bit if it were Benedict....

Hopefully after a couple days, the kind of people who get more harshly outspoken vocal about it will have calmed down... sure, I wish I could see all the awesome stuff you Brits have on your side of the pond, and not all of us here got to be there either, but no fair claiming any are 'better'. Annoying (especially how they sometimes handle it, and given the 'internet age') but 'exclusives' are so typical for big media extravaganzas.

I wonder if the camera following him around tipped anyone off?

I really cannot understand what they are so worked up about! You go to a convention or a film festival and, of course, you get to see things that those who don't go are 'deprived of'. That is the whole point. I cannot go to the Toronto Film festival to see the first screening of 12 Years A Slave. Am I going to rage about how unfair that is? No.

I am however, insanely jealous of anyone who got to see Tom as Loki.  AND anyone who got to see the X-Men DOFP panel! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2013 8:14 am  #75

For me it's just the other way round. I'm happy for all people who meet Benedict or Martin in person, take photos and do have a great time at Comic Con. Comic Con is so great because it's like being in your own fanworld. You're sure that you're talking to people who are equally obsessed (not in Matt's case, though) and you can buy all the merchandise and stuff and you get information from the directors at first hand. Isn't that enough? I'd be happy to pay money for that. 
However, I'm not happy as soon as some fans are privileged because it does make a difference amongst them. Every fan should be equally involved in the latest news...
If some justify that they do have the rights to see exclusive stuff because they payed for it, then why don't make the clip buyable and available for download for, let's say around  £10?
I know that they're normally showing exclusive stuff at Comic Con but you always had the chance to watch it on the internet after the event - even though you weren't present. At least so my experience in other fandoms.

Why do I write all that? I'm actually over it. 
I just hope that Sherlock and John looked awful in that clip.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 24, 2013 2:08 pm  #76

Mary Me wrote:

For me it's just the other way round. I'm happy for all people who meet Benedict or Martin in person, take photos and do have a great time at Comic Con. Comic Con is so great because it's like being in your own fanworld. You're sure that you're talking to people who are equally obsessed (not in Matt's case, though) and you can buy all the merchandise and stuff and you get information from the directors at first hand. Isn't that enough? I'd be happy to pay money for that. 
However, I'm not happy as soon as some fans are privileged because it does make a difference amongst them. Every fan should be equally involved in the latest news...
If some justify that they do have the rights to see exclusive stuff because they payed for it, then why don't make the clip buyable and available for download for, let's say around  £10?
I know that they're normally showing exclusive stuff at Comic Con but you always had the chance to watch it on the internet after the event - even though you weren't present. At least so my experience in other fandoms.

Why do I write all that? I'm actually over it. 
I just hope that Sherlock and John looked awful in that clip.

I just remind myself that life isn't fair, lol.  But we'll all get it in the end, eventually, so it's all good.

July 24, 2013 2:18 pm  #77

It's a shame you guys won't get it at the same time as us...I would love to do a synchronised watch with you!

July 24, 2013 2:19 pm  #78

kittykat wrote:

It's a shame you guys won't get it at the same time as us...I would love to do a synchronised watch with you!

Yes...right >.>  Definitely won't watch that over here when it airs on BBC1 sometime between 4-7 pm my time <.<

*cough, cough*

Last edited by sj4iy (July 24, 2013 2:23 pm)

July 24, 2013 5:40 pm  #79

kittykat wrote:

Well, there are ways

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 24, 2013 5:50 pm  #80

Ivy wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Well, there are ways

;)

Board footera