BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2013 9:44 pm  #101

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

He should have expect something like that, when he ask Sherlock being his best man . Hopefully his speech will end nice and with pleasure for John and Mary.

I wonder how they are going to translate the dialog into German with the wordplay 'best man'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 19, 2013 9:54 pm  #102

sj4iy wrote:

How badly do you think John was dreading that speech?

That's the thing that cracks me up when people talk about Sherlock's emotional issues...Anyone ever notice how completely screwed up John is too? That's what's so fun about them, they're like two wrongs making a right or something. :-)

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

July 19, 2013 10:02 pm  #103

stoertebeker wrote:

He should have expect something like that, when he ask Sherlock being his best man . Hopefully his speech will end nice and with pleasure for John and Mary.

I wonder how they are going to translate the dialog into German with the wordplay 'best man'.

Probably by "Sie sind der Beste" or something - or would it be "Du bist der Beste"? Finally?
I hope they can tell the difference between "best man" and "best man" in "best man and most human human being"..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 20, 2013 4:41 am  #104

Gretel wrote:

That's the thing that cracks me up when people talk about Sherlock's emotional issues...Anyone ever notice how completely screwed up John is too? That's what's so fun about them, they're like two wrongs making a right or something. :-)

Yep!  Completely agree! This is why their friendship is so adorably awkward!

Last edited by the_dancing_woman (July 20, 2013 4:44 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 20, 2013 8:10 am  #105

tobeornot221b wrote:

stoertebeker wrote:

Probably by "Sie sind der Beste" or something - or would it be "Du bist der Beste"? Finally?
I hope they can tell the difference between "best man" and "best man" in "best man and most human human being"..

Oh, I would love this. Please let them change to "du".

I'm wondering if the german title for the third episode is going to be "Ich schwör!!"
Okay, back to serious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 20, 2013 9:01 am  #106

Mary Me wrote:

I'm wondering if the german title for the third episode is going to be "Ich schwör!!"
Okay, back to serious.

Yes, hopefully. It would be very unusual for two best friends to talk with each other with 'Sie'. But I am afraid they are going to stick to that, as the original storys where translatet in the same way.

The German title for episode 3 could be "Sein letzter Schwur." oder "Sein letztes Versprechen."
Well, almost all Englisch wordplay won't work in the translation. The title for episode 1 in German? "Der leere Leichenwagen" sounds very clumsy .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 20, 2013 10:56 am  #107

stoertebeker wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Okay, back to serious.

Yes, hopefully. It would be very unusual for two best friends to talk with each other with 'Sie'. But I am afraid they are going to stick to that, as the original storys where translatet in the same way.

The German title for episode 3 could be "Sein letzter Schwur." oder "Sein letztes Versprechen."
Well, almost all Englisch wordplay won't work in the translation. The title for episode 1 in German? "Der leere Leichenwagen" sounds very clumsy .

Indeed. In english it sounds kind of mysterious, in german it sounds, well, clumsy and depressing.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 20, 2013 11:28 am  #108

Sorry, but this really makes me chuckle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2013 11:31 am  #109

Well, depends on how familiar you are with certain languages.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 20, 2013 11:37 am  #110

I've noticed that in the Japanese version, they don't really try to translate the jokes...leaving in the humor as is.  Wordplay is trickier, of course, but for example, Henry in THoB was saying the actual word "Hound" (in English), because the word was a loan word from English (they only have the word for "dog" originally).  So it really preserves the original word play as opposed to coming up with an equivalent.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 20, 2013 7:29 pm  #111

stoertebeker wrote:

Just found a detailed description of the scene here:
http://moriarty.tumblr.com/post/55846215001/detailed-summary-of-the-special-scene-of-sherlock

(dont't read, if you don't want any details)

Sorry, folks, for being a poor sport, but there is no hug in the scene .
Well, I still hope for a hug in the first episode or maybe somewhen during the wedding.

I'm also quite unsure, what to think of the scene and the whole episode 2. I hope there will be some kind of crime or other case for Sherlock and John during the episode and not just the wedding as major part. That would really be a kind of soap opera. But I have faith in Moftiss .

I just listened to an audio recording of the scene....I could barely contain my excited squeals and smiles the whole time!!!!!  I was literally jumping out of my chair, my fangirl heart all aflutter...damn I want to see it so bad!!!!!!  I wonder why they don't just release the clip to the general public... I mean, it's unfair that they would only show the clip to the people who were able to go to comic con, I hope that they'll release the clip for those who couldn't go...hearing it was near heart-attack inducing, hearing it AND seeing it would be just...just....Glorious *THUD* 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (July 20, 2013 7:30 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

July 20, 2013 8:02 pm  #112

SHHHHHH SPOILERS WHAT SPOILERS???? *innocent look*

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (July 22, 2013 9:29 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 20, 2013 8:05 pm  #113

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

SHHHHHH SPOILERS WHAT SPOILERS???? *innocent look*

PM'd you! 

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (July 22, 2013 9:29 am)

July 20, 2013 8:09 pm  #114

PM'ed you as well ^^

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 20, 2013 8:54 pm  #115

PM'ed you !!!

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

July 20, 2013 9:29 pm  #116

About to PM you. OMG....I need to know this....

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 20, 2013 9:43 pm  #117

PMed you as well ;)

~************************************************************************************************~ 
~************************************************************************************************~

July 20, 2013 10:23 pm  #118

To PM or not to PM.     aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 20, 2013 10:46 pm  #119

tonnaree wrote:

Do it! Do it! Do it! 

July 20, 2013 11:05 pm  #120

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Do it! Do it! Do it! 

Shame on you....breaking someone's willpower on something so hard to resist....I wouldn't last a second x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

Board footera