BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2013 8:48 pm  #2041

Re: Series 3 discussion SPOILER THREAD!!! WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

SolarSystem wrote:

Oh, you certainly don't have to apologize or explain yourself.
I do agree that people can find whatever they want to find on the internet anyway, not everything has to be here. I just thought, and maybe that was a bit naive, that anything goes in a spoiler thread. But I'm totally fine if you try to keep this thread free of spoilers that would most likely ruin at least parts of series 3 for a lot of people.

I guess I just don't see how this trailer itself is any worse than what we already know, though.  Honestly, it seems pretty tame compared to some of the stuff that was flying around during the filming.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 20, 2013 8:49 pm  #2042

Everything up until the Finnish Trailer-when someone has said spoillery-has been tame. So when I clicked on I thought just the same but its not...you definitely see parts that are impactful to the plot and in general would be much more fun viewing these clips within the context of the show.

In general BBC handled this like it was a replay of season two which it is definitely NOT.  The premiere should have been within days of the episode airing. AND the PBS and BBC should have been on the same day or very close.

With the internet and twitter, tumblr, ect...you just can't have this loooong of a gap without these situations happening..I hope the powers at be realize this for season 4.  Does all of this nonsense detract from the enjoyment I will have watching...sadly I have to say yes.  But will I be there for a Livestream on Jan 1st (hopefully;-) as well as the PBS airing later in January. OH YES with bells on for sure....

So don't beat yourself up too bad Moderator-there are spoilers that really aren't that bad and then there was this...which you just don't expect to be in a trailer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

December 20, 2013 8:51 pm  #2043

Thank you, this is exactly my opinion. 

Sj4iy, I do not agree. We all know that they filmed red herrings. But this here is real footage from the show. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 20, 2013 8:53 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2013 9:01 pm  #2044

sirlockofthesher wrote:

Everything up until the Finnish Trailer-when someone has said spoillery-has been tame. So when I clicked on I thought just the same but its not...you definitely see parts that are impactful to the plot and in general would be much more fun viewing these clips within the context of the show.

In general BBC handled this like it was a replay of season two which it is definitely NOT.  The premiere should have been within days of the episode airing. AND the PBS and BBC should have been on the same day or very close.

With the internet and twitter, tumblr, ect...you just can't have this loooong of a gap without these situations happening..I hope the powers at be realize this for season 4.  Does all of this nonsense detract from the enjoyment I will have watching...sadly I have to say yes.  But will I be there for a Livestream on Jan 1st (hopefully;-) as well as the PBS airing later in January. OH YES with bells on for sure....

So don't beat yourself up too bad Moderator-there are spoilers that really aren't that bad and then there was this...which you just don't expect to be in a trailer.

Sorry, I disagree.  We knew practically everything about this situation before this trailer ever aired- the restaurant, the waiter, the 'fight', the being kicked out... The only thing we didn't know was the exact words they say to each other and the reaction of both characters.  And now we know...one line of it.  We still don't know what John says, but from the pictures that the BBC itself put out a couple of weeks ago, it's easy to see what happens next, because Sherlock ends up on the ground.

I didn't get any of that from the trailer, I got that from all of the filming spoilers, the set reports, the newspaper articles, and the BBC's own advertising campaign by releasing a bunch of pictures of Sherlock dressed as a waiter and trailers where Sherlock walks into the restaurant past John.  They've given away just about the entire plot of Episode 1 for anyone who can put 2 and 2 together just through their advertising campaigns alone.

Yes, they've filmed red herrings...but those are easy to spot because a production like this isn't going to spend a LOT of money and time filming a bunch of dummy footage.  They have a budget and they aren't going to go over it just to fool some fans who are watching them.

Again, though...I think this should come down to the individual being given the option to watch a legitimate trailer as long as they know that it might contain spoilery content in some people's opinions (although, to me, all trailers can be considered 'spoilery').

Last edited by sj4iy (December 20, 2013 9:07 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

December 21, 2013 12:43 pm  #2045

On the one hand, Susi, you can't protect the fans from themselves and try to create a nice cosy spoiler free zone. You can see that when you read the last two pages of the thread alone. Yes, it's a spoiler thread but spoiler is one thing and telling the plot of a whole episode is another thing IMO.

On the other hand, sj4iy, you are right somehow, too, because when you are an obsessed fan and been on setlock and paid attention to the official and leaked informations you get the impression that you know a lot already. I haven't seen the Finish trailer and we don't know if the reunion is in fact shown. Maybe they showed what you think is the reunion and it isn't.  I am suspicious about that. I still expect that the reunion happens where setlock has no access to.
We will see.

Last edited by Be (December 21, 2013 12:47 pm)

December 21, 2013 1:03 pm  #2046

Be wrote:

Maybe they showed what you think is the reunion and it isn't.  I am suspicious about that. I still expect that the reunion happens where setlock has no access to.
We will see.

Oh, I hope so! I hope the reunion will not happen in the restaurant, I always imagined it in a more private atmosphere. But you could be right, imagine all the cinema trailers which often put different scenes of a movie together to convey a certain impression which isn't the real plot in the film itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 21, 2013 1:09 pm  #2047

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 21, 2013 1:19 pm  #2048

kittykat wrote:

Dito.
Oh, the suspense...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

December 21, 2013 1:34 pm  #2049

I can only repeat what Mark has said.
It's a long, drawn out reunion and his fave part of the series.

Last edited by besleybean (December 21, 2013 3:03 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 21, 2013 1:51 pm  #2050

besleybean wrote:

It's a long, drawn ot reunion and his fave part of the series.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't end in the restaurant at all.

December 21, 2013 1:59 pm  #2051

besleybean wrote:

It's a long, drawn ot reunion and his fave part of the series.

Long and drawn out...this is going to be heartwrenching *grabs shock blanket* 

-------------------------------------------------------

December 21, 2013 2:15 pm  #2052

stoertebeker wrote:

Be wrote:

Maybe they showed what you think is the reunion and it isn't.  I am suspicious about that. I still expect that the reunion happens where setlock has no access to.
We will see.

Oh, I hope so! I hope the reunion will not happen in the restaurant, I always imagined it in a more private atmosphere. But you could be right, imagine all the cinema trailers which often put different scenes of a movie together to convey a certain impression which isn't the real plot in the film itself.

Sherlockology tweeted about the Finnish trailer: Would not be released with that content.
So?
Did they in fact film the very first encounter between John and Sherlock for setlock to see? Stupid. Can't believe that. But than... Almost everybody is. According to Sherlock.

Last edited by Be (December 21, 2013 2:20 pm)

December 21, 2013 3:04 pm  #2053

May I also repeat that it has been confirmed that red herrings were filmed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 21, 2013 3:20 pm  #2054

besleybean wrote:

For the fall...they didn't film red herrings for anything else.  I know I spotted at least some of the fake scenes as soon as they filmed it.  But even then, they are only going to go so far with filming fake scenes, though.  It costs time and money when you have a limited amount of both.

As far as filming the reunion scene in front of people, no...the Daffodil was filmed behind closed doors.  However, there were casting spoilers that told a lot about what happened inside.  There's a kebab shop scene that seems to come right afterwards that people saw, though.  It's definitely afterwards, and definitely real- there was a clip of it on the trailer site, and they are wearing the same clothes as the Daffodil.  So yes, it will be pretty long and drawn out...as it should be.

Last edited by sj4iy (December 21, 2013 3:23 pm)

December 21, 2013 3:34 pm  #2055

sj4iy wrote:

besleybean wrote:

For the fall...they didn't film red herrings for anything else.

That remains to be seen. What about the guards? Some scenes might pop up on the DVD or in the mini-episode.

December 21, 2013 4:23 pm  #2056

Does it really matter?  My point is this:

If going to watch someone while they work, taking thousands of pictures and posting them for the world to see isn't crossing a line, I don't see how a 28 second not-that-bad trailer is.  I showed it to my husband and friend, niether of whom knows any spoilers and they said 'I don't see the big deal'.  Actually, they both laughed and thought the waiter thing was funny.  And that's basically it.  Neither of them thought anything big had been spoiled...and they are right.  Did we see them fight?  Did we see the solution to the falls? Did we see John being drugged or Sherlock saving him from the bonfire?  Nope...then it can't possibly be as bad as people are making it out to be.

Last edited by sj4iy (December 21, 2013 4:25 pm)

December 21, 2013 4:29 pm  #2057

The waiter thing so reminded me of Cabin Pressure XD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 21, 2013 4:58 pm  #2058

sj4iy wrote:

Does it really matter?  My point is this:

If going to watch someone while they work, taking thousands of pictures and posting them for the world to see isn't crossing a line, I don't see how a 28 second not-that-bad trailer is.  I showed it to my husband and friend, niether of whom knows any spoilers and they said 'I don't see the big deal'.  Actually, they both laughed and thought the waiter thing was funny.  And that's basically it.  Neither of them thought anything big had been spoiled...and they are right.  Did we see them fight?  Did we see the solution to the falls? Did we see John being drugged or Sherlock saving him from the bonfire?  Nope...then it can't possibly be as bad as people are making it out to be.

I haven't seen the trailer, but as far as you (and others) told about it, it seems to show the first moment John and Sherlock see each other face to face. And that is a big spoiler IMO. That's definetly something I want to see in the show, not in a trailer and, as I said above, I had hoped this first encounter would be under more privat circumstances. So, first disappointment for me, pity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 21, 2013 5:07 pm  #2059

stoertebeker wrote:

I had hoped this first encounter would be under more privat circumstances. So, first disappointment for me, pity.

Why should you be disappointed? It's completely according to canon. John meets the old book seller - Sherlock in disguise - in the street - then, afterwards their second meeting takes place in 221B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 21, 2013 5:16 pm  #2060

I just noticed that the BBC seems to have the Finnish trailer removed from various websites. Therefore I suppose it was not meant for distribution yet. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera