BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2013 9:15 pm  #1

Top Gear - The Batch in a reasonably-priced car on July 14!

Fresh from Twitter, news from Red Scharlach, she of the Otters Who Look Like Benedict Cumberbatch fame:

RedScharlach ‏@redfacts 17m Ooh, Benedict Cumberbatch will be in the Reasonably Priced Car on @BBC_TopGear on Sunday 14th July: http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ckwkdy/top-gear%E2%80%94series-20%E2%80%94-episode-3

Top Gear
Series 20, Episode 3
Sun 14 Jul

3/6. The three motoring enthusiasts head to Spain on a mission to help its struggling economy - but the convertible supercars they take are very expensive and anything but discreet. With Jeremy Clarkson in a McLaren MP4-12C, Richard Hammond driving a Ferrari 458 and James May behind the wheel of an Audi R8 V10, the trio encounter mountain passes, empty towns and an abandoned airport before creating their own street circuit in a deserted Madrid development. Plus, Sherlock and Star Trek Into Darkness star Benedict Cumberbatch sets a lap time in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Anna M.C.

---------------------------------------------------------

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

July 14, 2013 8:00 pm  #2

Re: Top Gear - The Batch in a reasonably-priced car on July 14!

I tuned in just at the right moment  on bbciplayer live. My life, it was brill. All I can say is "Jeremy, what are you doing?" and something about looking like he was going to wipe something with his sleeve lol. The curls. Dear God. The car jacking story. WTF??? How did he get away alive? *shudder*. And of course the fan fic - I can already hear people typing away the story - Sherlock and John floating on a bed in space handcuffed to each other...

"He will outlive God trying to have the last word."

July 14, 2013 8:40 pm  #3

He was so lovely and funny and charming. What a man. IMO it wasn't the right place for the carjacking story, bit too serious, but he pulled it off very well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 14, 2013 10:09 pm  #4

He seemed quite happy with the lead into the car-jacking story. All agreed, no doubt, beforehand. I was slightly disappointed with the fact that they just showed the lap time, which actually was slightly pedestrian. I thought Benedict was charming but how TALL is Jeremy Clarkson?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 14, 2013 10:28 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

He seemed quite happy with the lead into the car-jacking story. All agreed, no doubt, beforehand. I was slightly disappointed with the fact that they just showed the lap time, which actually was slightly pedestrian. I thought Benedict was charming but how TALL is Jeremy Clarkson?

Well, BC is only 6' tall.  Lol, yes, that's a pretty decent height, but Jeremy Clarkson is 6' 5".  He's going to tower over most people.

Fun fact...I know a couple where the husband is 6' 4" and the wife is 6' 1"...and she's the short one in her family.  Her dad is 6' 6".  I always feel very short visiting them XD  (I'm 5' 6"...and my husband is 6' 2").

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 14, 2013 10:36 pm  #6

'I like to be the dominant one'....THUD!

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 14, 2013 11:58 pm  #7

Is there a video of this somewhere? I'm not sure when it's meant to be aired in Australia.

================================================================

July 15, 2013 6:55 am  #8

I was also blown away by how short The Batch looks next to Clarkson, and just tweeted as much.  It was like watching Sherlock face off with the Golem. :D  What I really want now is to see Martin Freeman standing next to Clarkson.  It'd be Instant Hobbit, no special effects required.

Anna M.C.

---------------------------------------------------------

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

July 15, 2013 8:07 am  #9

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 15, 2013 10:01 am  #10

annamc wrote:

I was also blown away by how short The Batch looks next to Clarkson, and just tweeted as much.  It was like watching Sherlock face off with the Golem. :D  What I really want now is to see Martin Freeman standing next to Clarkson.  It'd be Instant Hobbit, no special effects required.

Anna M.C.

Instant Hobbit! That's so funny x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 15, 2013 10:55 am  #11

Except fluffy socks perhaps. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 15, 2013 2:36 pm  #12

In case you can't get enough - here's a link to some Behind the Scenes stuff (let me just say "curls"):

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2013/07/15/video-behind-the-scenes-with-benedict-cumberbatch/#.UeP6XNs2nLk.tumblr

Last edited by SusiGo (July 15, 2013 2:37 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 15, 2013 4:34 pm  #13

I just want to thank the Internet wholeheartedly! I simply feel soooo lucky to be able to watch the show way back here in Taiwan! And Ben is just sooooo gorgeous!

-------------------------------------------------
--------
“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell? Who could come to-night? Some friends of yours, perhaps?”

“Except yourself I have none,” he answered.

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Five Orange PipsThe Adventures of Sherlock Holms

July 15, 2013 4:35 pm  #14

Thank you for posting the behind the scenes clip! I hadn't seen that one.

I really enjoyed watching the show!  Great fun - actually, and a very charming Benedict!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 15, 2013 9:39 pm  #15

That smile is going to be the death of me.   *thud*

(Am I allowed to thud outside of the BC pic thread)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 15, 2013 11:26 pm  #16

Just watched the interview...he's lovely!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 15, 2013 11:37 pm  #17

That was brilliant! Thanks for the links!
He really threw himself into that didn't he. Too cute!

================================================================

July 16, 2013 8:14 am  #18

tonnaree wrote:

That smile is going to be the death of me.   *thud*

(Am I allowed to thud outside of the BC pic thread)

I think it can happen anywhere in here, so feel free to thud where- and whenever you like. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 16, 2013 7:38 pm  #19

Oh, my heart!  ;D   Finally got around to looking at the clips... seriously so charmingly funny.  I just wish I could have heard everything he was saying!  Missed the 'dominant' comment everyone's chuckling over.  And speaking of awesome pics taken during it, did anyone see this?   At least... despite the obscuring glasses/helmet and angle of being able to recognize the face, considering the profile and shirt, pretty positive that's from his visit on the track.  Someone posted it to pinterest, and recall that Helen is his friend who posts things at his fans sometimes, right?   Adorable...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 16, 2013 7:57 pm  #20

The Stig looks as impressed! 

Board footera