BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2013 4:36 pm  #61

Re: How will Series 3 end? (CONTAINS SPOILER DISCUSSION)

besleybean wrote:

Which they could be...if they both lose Mary,

Thanks, this is exactly what I was trying to bring across in my earlier post.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

August 27, 2013 4:41 pm  #62

I can't remember who said it but I read that someone in the production team said that they wouldn't end series 3 with a scene that they had to re-shoot at the beginning of series 4. 

I think that Mary will either die or leave John at the end of episode 3. I have mixed feelings about it because I wasn't happy about John marrying in series 3 (I know it's canon but I'm a Johnlocker) but I really like Amanda and I would love to see her more. 

What I'm thinking is that Magnussen knows something about Mary and he will blackmail her so at the end of series 3 she will leave him or they will divorce.

When the original stories were written ACD had to kill her off in order to justify Watson coming back to 221B. Back then people didn't divorce just because. A honorable man of good standing like John wouldn't divorce his wife unless something really extreme happened (like she being unfaithful and only if the affair was known to the rest of the society). But nowadays divorce is something really common so it is an option and I would prefer that to her dying because my poor John suffered too much when Sherlock "died" and I don't want him to go through that all over again. 

August 27, 2013 4:45 pm  #63

I really don't think a divorce would be seen as that dramatic a series finale...it barely registers interest these days.
You're quite boing if you haven't been divorced! (sorry, I have an extremely jaded view of marrrage!)
I still think it'll be a death or serious injury...or both!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 27, 2013 4:47 pm  #64

So being in a lasting marriage is boring? Love and commitment is boring?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 27, 2013 4:54 pm  #65

Hardly relevant to this, but seeing as you asked.
I've been happily married for a long time.
I just don't believe in it.
I don't need a piece of paper to show my love and commitment.
Incidentally, neither do Amanda and Martin and they are fortunate to both have the same view.
Which is why I'm disappointed the BBC decided to go down the marriage route with John and Mary.
But presumably they're both religious. Otherwise in the 21st century, I don't see why they couldn't live together, like Amanda and Martin,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 27, 2013 4:56 pm  #66

I would agree that a divorce just isn't drastic and dramatic enough, at least not for a cliffhanger. John might divorce her at some point in episode 3, but then something different has to happen to end the episode. I would agree that this would probably have to be death or a serious injury... or maybe a serious betrayal. A betrayal could also be a good connection to the title "His last vow".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 27, 2013 5:02 pm  #67

Yes and I may well be proved wrong.
But seeing as they've gone for the easy, lazy option of a big TV wedding(like we need another one on TV like a hole in the head), I really think they'll also want a dramatic death/injury...
Tho I think it may well be more complicated, I do thinik it could involve betrayal/blackmail and repentance...

August 27, 2013 5:03 pm  #68

My parents were married for nearly forty years before my mum died. They weren't boring.

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 27, 2013 5:06 pm  #69

And I'm absolutely delighted to hear it. My parents have been married nearly 50 years and are wonderful...if we're competing.
But now back to our regular programming: I have no doubt that Mary is going to prove 1 of the strongest characters in this series.

EDIT: sorry Swanpride, we cross posted.
I agree with most of what you said.

Last edited by besleybean (August 27, 2013 5:08 pm)

August 27, 2013 5:07 pm  #70

We're not competing. There's a reason why my parents didn't make forty years, which I stated above.

August 27, 2013 5:10 pm  #71

And I'm very sorry to hear it.
But once agian, back to Sherlock: I do believe at some point, they will end a series with a death.
So far we've had an uncertain outcome and a fake death...

August 27, 2013 5:12 pm  #72

Ooh, good one...would be nice.
But does that fit in with what was said at Comic Com and elsewhere?
Maybe!
Could she be alive and in prison?!

August 27, 2013 5:16 pm  #73

kittykat wrote:

My parents were married for nearly forty years before my mum died. They weren't boring.

That sounds wonderful! Of course not the fact, that your mum died, I am very sorry to read that, but that they did have a happy and longlasting marriage.
I guess I don't know that many happily married couples, except for one in my extended family, and I admire them a lot.

Back to Sherlock: I think the wedding itself will be far from boring, this being Sherlock written by Gatiss and Moffat, I am certain we will get a run for our money with some truly funny and awkward moments included

@swanpride:
I don't want Mary to be evil either, and I certainly don't want this season to end in a fall out between John and Sherlock, as it would be truly odd, since the idea is to portray one of the greatest friendships in literary history. I also don't think that we will have to fear for their friendship at all, it will be on very firm grounds by the end of that season, or at least I hope it will. Would only be logical as the writers seem to aspire to keep the series going for quite a while to come.
I do think, though, that Mary is hiding something from John, but that doesn't neccessarily make her a bad person, there are many reasons for hiding something, even from those we love. I think we will all come to love her (or most of us at least) and rightly so.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

August 27, 2013 5:19 pm  #74

Alive and in prison....not dramatic enough...you can get out of it....
it's really hard to imagine an end who really fit ...

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 27, 2013 5:19 pm  #75

I can't imagine not liking Mary, I think she will be so well written.
EDIT: well personally I think a life senetnce is fairly dramatic.

Last edited by besleybean (August 27, 2013 5:21 pm)

August 27, 2013 5:31 pm  #76

yes it's dramatic in real life but I feel it's not enough "dramatic" for the show (I hope I'm making sense)

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 27, 2013 5:33 pm  #77

I also don't think that Magnussen will have the pleasure of "entertaining" us for one episode only. Would be a bit of a waste introducing him as the great new villain, only to kill him off after 90 minutes. I am quite certain he will follow John and Sherlock right into season 4.

Last edited by the_dancing_woman (August 27, 2013 5:33 pm)

August 27, 2013 5:41 pm  #78

Could be dangerous!
But certainly interesting.

August 27, 2013 7:06 pm  #79

besleybean wrote:

Could be dangerous!
But certainly interesting.

"And I said 'dangerous', and here you are." 

August 27, 2013 7:21 pm  #80

But of course!

Board footera