BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2013 11:19 am  #141

Re: Which are the 'Johnlock' moments from Canon ?

The opening passage from The Five Orange Pips:

As evening drew in, the storm grew higher and louder, and the wind cried and sobbed like a child in the chimney. Sherlock Holmes sat moodily at one side of the fireplace cross-indexing his records of crime, while I at the other was deep in one of Clark Russell’s fine sea-stories until the howl of the gale from without seemed to blend with the text, and the splash of the rain to lengthen out into the long swash of the sea waves. My wife was on a visit to her mother’s, and for a few days I was a dweller once more in my old quarters at Baker Street

Until the wife is mentioned it was like they were in their bachelor days This is one of my favourite images of the boys. I hope I could find something similar like this where John married and still spending some days in 221B with Sherlock   
And this follows that passage,

“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell. Who could come to-night? Some friend of yours, perhaps?”
“Except yourself I have none,” he answered. “I do not encourage
visitors.”

Last edited by holmes23 (December 25, 2013 11:21 am)

December 25, 2013 11:45 am  #142

holmes23 wrote:

“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell. Who could come to-night? Some friend of yours, perhaps?”
“Except yourself I have none,” he answered. “I do not encourage
visitors.”

... and, in this context, "I do not encourage visitors" - priceless! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 12, 2014 2:09 am  #143

I was just going to post a link to Decoding the Subtext!

However - please note that the blog was overhauled -

Nekosmuse dot com slash withlovesh is the more current version (I'm not allowed to post links yet.)

I hold Nekosmuse responsible for my Johnlock obsession. 

In fact, my major complaint about the BBC Sherlock series is that there is far too much suggestion of both of them being attracted to other people. (Canonical evidence for Holmes being attracted to Irene Adler is weak to nonexistent...but for some reason EVERY adaptation and pastiche ships them.)

But at least, Moffit and Gattis do seem to understand the centrality of the Holmes-and-Watson relationship in the Sherlock  Holmes legend.

The reason I am so eager to see S3 is to see the "reunion" - THAT is a major Johnlock moment in canon: WATSON ACTUALLY FAINTS (and wakes up in Holmes' arms). Jeremy Brett and his Watson played it out perfectly.

January 12, 2014 2:42 am  #144

From SCAN: [Watson] slept at Baker Street that night. (And he's supposed to be married at this point.)

From Creeping Man: 

The relations between us in those latter days were peculiar. He was a man of habits, narrow and concentrated habits, and I had become one of them. As an institution I was like the violin, the shag tobacco, the old black pipe, the index books, and others perhaps less excusable. When it was a case of active work and a comrade was needed upon whose nerve he could place some reliance, my role was obvious. But apart from this I had uses. I was a whetstone for his mind. I stimulated him. He liked to think aloud in my presence. His remarks could hardly be said to be made to me -- many of them would have been as appropriately addressed to his bedstead -- but none the less, having formed the habit, it had become in some way helpful that I should register and interject. If I irritated him by a certain methodical slowness in my mentality, that irritation served only to make his own flame-like intuitions and impressions flash up the more vividly and swiftly. Such was my humble role in our alliance.

First of all "other habits less excusble," could refer to their...private...relationship, given that it would have been ILLEGAL in their era.

And the reference to a "bedstead" (as opposed to hatstand, fireplace, or other household item) would seem to imply the conversation is taking place in the bedroom!

And Neksomuse says in Decoding the Subtext that the description of their communication sounds like a married couple.

And, from The Empty House: (when Watson is surprised at seeing the 'dummy' of Holmes)
Holmes: I trust age does not whither me, nor custom stale my infinite variety?

Translation: I hope you still find me attractive and fascinating.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 12, 2014 3:38 am)

January 12, 2014 2:47 am  #145

SherlockianDE wrote:

Teehee, I just found this - the Top 10 suggestive lines from the canon:

http://ihearofsherlock.tumblr.com/post/34878600228/the-top-10-suggestive-lines-from-the-sherlock

They're certainly... suggestive

Never mind the quotes, that PICTURE is hugely suggestive. The picture ran with "The Illustrious Client" when the story was first published in Strand.

So it's somewhat canon. It is Holmes and Watson at the Turkish baths, but doesn't it look like they're just plain bed in together?

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 12, 2014 2:48 am)

January 12, 2014 8:33 am  #146

I think in Canon they do occasionally share a hotel bed etc.
Purely for frugality.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 1:08 am  #147

How about Holmes telling Watson to "engage a front room and purchase the necessaries for the night." (Three-Quarter). Nekosmuse and her followers interpret that as Holmes telling Watson to buy lube. 

Regardless, he definitely refers to one "room," not "rooms."

That same story also contains Watson's confession that he has lost touch with the medical field...clearly, working with Holmes was his full-time career by then.

January 13, 2014 6:54 am  #148

Well yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2014 1:49 am  #149

Much of the "Johnlock" from canon stems from Holmes' lack of interest in women and perhaps some other traits that are (admittedly stereotypically) associated with being gay, while some people view Watson as a ladies' man.

But if you read closely (and it took the Decoding the Subtext blog to make me aware of this) there is actually MORE evidence for Watson being attracted to men:

He is forever commenting on:

- Holmes' physical features

- Holmes' physical stamia and prowess

- the looks of other men they meet

Not to mention that he:

- drops everything the moment Holmes calls

- thinks it was WORTH GETTING SHOT to see concern (and perhaps love) in Holmes' eyes.

If Holmes is asexual, than maybe it's "safer" (both psychologically and, at that time, legally) for him to be interested in someone who won't lead him into acting on it.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 17, 2014 2:05 am)

January 17, 2014 2:02 am  #150

In "The Retired Colorman," Holmes actually says, "With your natural advantages, Watson, every lady is your helper and accomplice." This is in the context of assigning Watson to interview females who may be potential witnesses or have information, but still, it's Holmes commenting on Watson's attractiveness.

January 17, 2014 6:56 am  #151

..to women!

January 17, 2014 5:19 pm  #152

And let's not forget DYIN, where Holmes tells Watson to hide: "Quick, man, if you love me!" And of course, Watson obeys, as always.

January 17, 2014 5:36 pm  #153

A close male friendship is the greatest love.

January 18, 2014 4:18 pm  #154

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

In "The Retired Colorman," Holmes actually says, "With your natural advantages, Watson, every lady is your helper and accomplice." This is in the context of assigning Watson to interview females who may be potential witnesses or have information, but still, it's Holmes commenting on Watson's attractiveness.

I fully agree with you
With your natural advantages, Watson, every lady is your helper and accomplice. What about the girl at the post-office, or the wife of the greengrocer? I can picture you whispering soft nothings with the young lady at the Blue Anchor, and receiving hard somethings in exchange.-

and has fanciful images regarding him 

He knows 'The Three Continental' Watson is a ladies' man and women are at his beck and call,  but he simply doesn't want to lose his dear Watson again

at his request had sold my practice and returned to share the old quarters in Baker Street. A young doctor, named Verner, had purchased my small Kensington practice, and given with astonishingly little demur the highest price that I ventured to ask[/b]–an incident which only explained itself some years later, when I found that Verner was a distant relation of Holmes, and that it was my friend who had really found the money.

January 26, 2014 4:25 am  #155

"Hard somethings," is an unfortunate phrase. 

But I think that other quote, about the sale of the practice, is perhaps the Johnlock-iest moment in all of canon. It really seems like two Victorian men's equivalent of a same-sex marriage...since Holmes basically said, "Please give up your own career and be my partner," and Watson agreed, at the mere request.

And where then, does Watson's income come from? Either Holmes is paying all the expenses, or he's sharing the fees of the detective practice (which would be only fair, really). But it seems like it involves a commitment to be a partner, in some sense, to Holmes for a very long term.

There is a great fanfic by the writer with the username Jem's Bird, where Holmes draws up a contract to make Watson a "a full partner" ostensibly in the business sense, but Watson figures out it's Holmes' way of marrying him.

Ironically, though, in the Jeremy Brett version, Watson maintains his own medical practice, which in a way makes it feel more like a marriage: he has his own career, so his reasons for living at Baker Street aren't because that's where his work is. 

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 26, 2014 4:25 am)

January 26, 2014 8:38 am  #156

He is, however, allowed to seek companionship.

February 7, 2014 12:03 am  #157

Have we mentioned ILLUS?

Holmes is hired to prevent a smarmily charming aristocrat,  Baron Gruner, who probably murdered his first wife, from marrying a second time.

Holmes is the victim of an assault, probably ordered by Gruner as a "hit." 

Watson rushes to the visit the injured Holmes when he hears the news, and says: I'll go and thrash the hide off him if you give the word!

Later, when Holmes' injuries prevent him from being as active as usual and he has a need for Watson to run errands, etc, Watson says, "I am here to be used."

Not to mention that we see them at a Turkish bathhouse (those were known as meeting places for gay men) at the beginning of the story.

February 7, 2014 6:37 am  #158

I think the baths were quite an acceptable social event, too.

February 7, 2014 9:32 am  #159

besleybean wrote:

A close male friendship is the greatest love.

Why not a close female friendship? Do you mean women are not capable of intense loving friendship?

Last edited by Harriet (February 7, 2014 9:33 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 7, 2014 5:11 pm  #160

You're right, both are equally great.
But I was referring to The Canon!

Last edited by besleybean (February 7, 2014 5:12 pm)

Board footera