BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2012 1:12 pm  #1

Don't believe everything in the script

I thought this the very first time I saw Sherlock.
And I've seen it quite a few times through the shows. The fact is some things are very much 'taken for granted' just because Sherlock says so.

eg First show , Study in Pink - the scratch marks on John's phone " Never see a drunk's phone without them, never see a sober man's with them'.

Piffle! Mine has them simply because I put it on the charger at night after the lights are out,lol.

There's heaps more. And I am not saying this to be 'clever' or to down play the brilliant writing; one of the Moftiss team has said it themselves about writing the deduction scenes. (Too lazy to get exact quotes but it's in the commentary I think) Basically they said you start with the final conclusion and work backwards. Often times you DO make sweeping statements just to make it fit, but when Sherlock says it, everyone is convinced it's the truth and the only possible explanation.

Clever little dicks aren't they?

Any more? I'll try & remember some meantime.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 19, 2012 1:31 pm  #2

Re: Don't believe everything in the script

what if, those mistake designed to make Sherlock more human? I mean human can do something silly/mistake. though nobody (especially in that series) realize that, because they don't even care with "the scratch marks on phone"..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 19, 2012 1:35 pm  #3

Could be, but more likely it is just as they said it was " it was easier to make the deduction scene work". I think they work very hard at making Sherlock 'superhuman' in most cases.

I feel bad sometimes for the writers. This is one show that has every single word looked at from all angles by the audience.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 19, 2012 2:12 pm  #4

Oh my God, it's weird that you should post that today because I totally thought about that phone thing this morning.

Basically I was putting my phone on charge and it took me several go's to get the charger into the socket - and I wasn't drunk!! It made me think of that scene and I then took my phone into the light to inspect it further and see if there were any scratch marks on it. There were a couple but not loads. Probably a drunk would have a lot more, I dunno. But then I looked at my iPod and wondered what Sherlock would deduce from that, it's full of scratches, mainly because I'm always dropping it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 19, 2012 5:31 pm  #5

I've dropped my phone so many times, that I encased in kind of a shock proof rubber envelope. Now I could safely jump from a roof top with it.
AC Doyle wrote a lot of false things, too. One of his most famous stories- 'The Speckled Band' - is based on a creature (the murder weapon), which totally doesn't exist:  An Indian snake he calls 'Swamp Adder', which is trained to climb up and down on a loose rope, comes back, when you whistle, and drinks milk from a saucer. Sounds more like a kitten to me, lol!

March 19, 2012 6:20 pm  #6

LOL, maybe Moftiss could modernise it to a killer kitten!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 21, 2012 9:26 am  #7

Wow, Sherlock! I think, you are on to something! Actually, I think, they are working on it right now.
Only, it will be 'Killer Kitty or the mad Reporter'. I mean, behind every great gangster, there must be a gangster's moll. Jim and Kitty were awfully close ('Darling, they were out of ground coffee...', their relationship hasn't been fully explored yet.) The show needs a new villain.
Does Kitty remind everyone else of Rita Skeeter?

Last edited by sherlocked (March 21, 2012 12:41 pm)

March 21, 2012 9:50 am  #8

Thing is, Sherlock is based more on reality than fantasy.
That's why I like it.

Last edited by kazza474 (March 21, 2012 10:03 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 11:16 am  #9

Yes, and at least for me, good fantasy should have roots in reality. That's what ultimately makes the Potter books so fascinating for many kids and adults alike; they can relate to it. Rita Skeeter is one of the brilliantly nasty characters. She's out to destroy Harry's reputation with her now famous self writing poison quill.
But I agree, 'Sherlock´' should not drift into fantasy. That's wy I hope, MoGiss come up with at last a marginally believable solution for the Reichenbach conundrum. I remember, when I was watching the first Downey/Holmes movie, I was very annoyed, when it seemed to drift into supernatural realm. Eventually, the solution was not found there, but the whole thing was still too over the top for my taste.

March 21, 2012 11:22 am  #10

I have complete faith in Moftiss to be true to the real spirit of Sherlock. They are firmly grounded and loyal to keeping the true Sherlock alive and well.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 11:29 am  #11

Yeah, I'm sure they will pull it off nicely. The ingredients are all there, even, if there are so many, that they will keep us busy for quite some time.

March 21, 2012 11:52 am  #12

sherlocked wrote:

Does Kitty remind everyone else of Rita Skeeter?

Oh yes! She's the new Rita Skeeter! Lol

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 21, 2012 3:45 pm  #13

I noticed things like that too while watching the show, though I can't remember any specific ones right now, except for the scratches on the phone as was already mentioned. ;) After watching the first episode, I looked at my phone and noticed that I actually have a good amount of scratches near where you plug the cord in, and like kazza474, its because I always plug my phone in at night when the lights are out (also because I'm a bit careless with my phone at times).

It's just kinda funny seeing stuff like that. Makes you remember that the show IS only fiction, and though the writers are incredible and have talent way beyond anything I have, it can't be perfect (though I'd say it's pretty close!). ;) I actually like noticing things like that though, it makes me feel smart haha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 21, 2012 3:58 pm  #14

The thing about the scratches on the phone, where the recharger is plugged in, is that it is a direct reference to the Arthur Conan Doyle canon. It is taken directly from Sherlock Holmes's deduction about Doctor Watson's brother's watch in The Sign of Four. This is the script writes' of Sherlock's nod to ACD.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera