BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2012 11:25 am  #41

Re: What theories do you think fail?

Not sure why Mycroft would be such a  touchy subject.
I know during their escape, Sherlock says to John it's not the time for a big family reunion.
Was that just to throw John off the scent, or did Sherlock just eventually realise he would need Mycroft's help?
See I always kept an open mind about Mycroft's involvement.
But I was always doubtful of him believing Sherlock to be dead.  He's already been fooled with Irene(apparently), so I doubt the would be fooled again.
Tho I wondered if Sherlock only went to him after the fake death, ie. to help with paper work/documents/records etc.
Yet certainly the more I discuss, I do think Mycroft was involved and possibly much more than I thought- maybe right from the start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 12, 2012 1:24 pm  #42

That would tie in well with the canon as Mycroft is the only person aware of Sherlock's survival. Mycroft deals with all his expenses etc.

There is a thread/ discussion about the Rhodedendron. That seems a no-goer for me, just a nod to the Ritchie movies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 12, 2012 2:04 pm  #43

I thought it was because of the trace from the kidnapper's footprint.  But I haven't seen the movies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 16, 2012 4:41 am  #44

Davina wrote:

That would tie in well with the canon as Mycroft is the only person aware of Sherlock's survival.

And due to film canon now probably also Molly Hooper?

October 16, 2012 5:59 am  #45

Must be.

October 16, 2012 11:39 am  #46

I am not convinced Molly is in on the trick. Obviously she did something to help him pull it off, but that doesn't mean she knows the real reason he asked her to do whatever she did. She is on his list of people he wants John to tell 'the truth' to ( the rooftop conversation), which implies she is one of the people he wants to fool. I can't see her leaving John in so much anguish if she did know the truth, no matter what she might have promised Sherlock if she is in on it; she is Sherlock's opposite emotionally, heart on sleeve, and I don't think she could pull it off because it is not in her nature to be that callous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 16, 2012 4:30 pm  #47

See this is where things get interesting.
How much does Molly know and how will her relationship be with John?
Incidentally, Molly is listed but is not a sniper target.
I think this is one of Moriarty's slip ups, he didn't realise that Molly was Sherlock's secret weapon...a 4th friend!

October 17, 2012 12:02 pm  #48

I agree; Moriarty's perspective on Sherlock and Molly's relationship would come from dating Molly, and she believed she didn't count. The one time he saw them interact (in the lab) would back that up.
Also, Mycroft probably would not mention her when feeding Moriarty information.

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 17, 2012 4:13 pm  #49

Altho presumably Mycroft wouldn't need to feed any of the sniper victim names...Moriarty's met 2 of them and had Mrs Hudson on camera.

Last edited by besleybean (October 17, 2012 4:14 pm)

October 18, 2012 11:35 am  #50

Very good point. So what could Molly have done to help save his life without having much of a clue as to what is going on?
One thing I have been wondering about: why are we not shown her reaction to his death at the end of TRF, as we are John's, Mrs Hudson's, Mycroft's? Where is Molly? A) in bed with the covers over her head? or  B) she *is* in on it, and has disappeared with him? Does she help him before, or after, the fall?

October 18, 2012 4:30 pm  #51

To be fair, we don't see Lestrade's reaction either.
I reckon Molly will be lying low.
Whatever she's done to help Sherlock, could well be illegal.
Tho I still wonder about her and John...

November 4, 2012 5:31 am  #52

I think the rubbish truck and rubber ball theories don't stand up when you try to reconcile them with the rest of the episode. A lot of theories focus on explaining the jump only and leave a lot of loose ends.

Most jump theories, in my opinion, fail because they don't take into account that St. Bart's is in public view and that any trick to survive the fall would have to fool anyone who could have seen it. This goes beyond John and the parking structure. This includes anyone who could be watching from inside St. Bart's, for instance, from their hospital room or someone on the street who's there when it happens.

I updated my own theory on the fall but alas there are so many members of this forum cleverer than me. 

Also, one must recall that Moftiss said they felt they outdid Conan Doyle in faking Sherlock's death. To make this claim, they have to follow a lot of the same rules and still create a better, more convincing, solution. This suggests to me that Moriarty must be dead and Sherlock did not jump, since Sherlock did not fall off Reichenbach in the canon.

I feel that Moftiss said they outdid Conan Doyle because they produced a body when none was recovered for Holmes in the canon, leaving open the possibility he survived. I feel that any theory that claims it was a dummy or a prosthetic fake is wrong because then that would hardly be an impressive leap from the canon having no body.

Last edited by Lupin (November 4, 2012 4:53 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

Board footera