BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2012 5:44 am  #1

What theories do you think fail?

There are so many theories, some are quite bizarre.
Which ones or which parts of some do you disbelieve?

For me it is the part of Sherlock landing in the truck.
Come on, have you seen how far he'd have to jump out to? He didn't take a running jump, he simply fell. No way would he have made it THAT far away from the building.
And the landing? After falling from an angle like that, he'd have to thread a needle to get in the truck without hitting the sides.
FAIL for that one I think.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 10, 2012 6:30 am  #2

Re: What theories do you think fail?

kazza474 wrote:

There are so many theories, some are quite bizarre.
Which ones or which parts of some do you disbelieve?

For me it is the part of Sherlock landing in the truck.
Come on, have you seen how far he'd have to jump out to? He didn't take a running jump, he simply fell. No way would he have made it THAT far away from the building.
And the landing? After falling from an angle like that, he'd have to thread a needle to get in the truck without hitting the sides.
FAIL for that one I think.

I agree with you on that one. The truck is not a very likely idea. And i dont think he could have fallen that far away from the building. There are many crazy theories out there, like the Sherlock, watson saw was a dummy. How could they possibly make a dummy look so realistic?

Last edited by Ceto (February 10, 2012 6:31 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 10, 2012 12:59 pm  #3

The craziest one i've heard is that Watson was drugged with the drug from Baskerville Ep...there's no way IMO that Mofftiss would use the same trick twice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 11, 2012 9:43 am  #4

Well, in about a year from now we will know what happened, and just laugh at all the crazy theories. I can't wait! XD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 11, 2012 10:16 am  #5

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

The craziest one i've heard is that Watson was drugged with the drug from Baskerville Ep...there's no way IMO that Mofftiss would use the same trick twice.

Yeah I find that one just too 'cheap'.
(Moftiss, if you read this and you DID do it, you have time to change that. Nothing so tacky please!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 13, 2012 4:27 am  #6

The theory on Moriarty using a mask to scare the girl into believing he is Sherlock.
Do people really think Moriarty would leave that around for Sherlock to find & use? I think she was hallucinating from the Mercury poisoning & the mere suggestion via a picture would have been enough to convince her who the bad guy was.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 13, 2012 11:26 am  #7

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea, and not too far fetched like some of the others..

I heard that Moriarty got someone to have surgery to look like Sherlock...! That one seems a bit over the top to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 13, 2012 12:28 pm  #8

Agree with the mask bit and that he swapped bodies with Moriarty. They are not even a vaguely similar height and build! The girl could have been hypnotised or they could have used auto- suggestion to get the response desired when she saw Sherlock.
I also think the idea that he did fall but just luckily survived ludicrous.
not sure about the use of the squash ball to stop his pulse, he is shown bouncing one but that could just be a red herring.
Clearly he wants John to stay where he is a to keep watching him as he jumps for a reason. Remember that he always says that people see but do not observe and that he is aware that people see what they expect to see.

Hmm...it's a right old mystery isn't it!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2012 1:20 pm  #9

Oh a big fail as far as I am concerned is the 'Molly threw Moriarty's body over the side of the building and Sherlock jumped onto another ledge'.

MOLLY lifts MORIARTY??? Even Sherlock lifting him over that ledge would have taken some time. And the building had no ledges on that side, it was straight down.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 16, 2012 11:12 pm  #10

Yeah, and it's obvious that it's a "live" body falling and not a dead one.

May 22, 2012 7:57 am  #11

People reckon this one fails; I think it's the answer!

It on this page in the theories thread for any new ones looking around:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=6&p=9

Last edited by kazza474 (May 22, 2012 8:00 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 10:09 am  #12

LOL...

Someone asked Moffat yesterday in that Q&A thing if it was to do with the fact that Sherlock had crisps in his pocket...(and he said yes of course)

May 22, 2012 10:32 am  #13

Yeah, they acted like air bags. I've said right from the start that he is holding those bags up rather a little too conspicuously. He's ordered a truck full of crisps, I'm telling ya!
But no-one wants to listen to me.... bleach.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 22, 2012 11:10 am  #14

In that case the next obvious question is does it matter what flavour crisps and do Wotsits, Quavers and Skips count?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 22, 2012 4:14 pm  #15

Quavers are mainly air and I read somewhere that they cushion better than wotsits!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 22, 2012 7:37 pm  #16

Some people say there is a Sherlock clone.
Um, NO? It's not a freaking Sci-Fi-Show.

Or any theory connected with the scared girl seems bollocks to me. It was a little girl who has been kidnapped - she is allowed to be afraid without any good reason. If her kidnappers have been tall men in black coats, hell, then it's understandable for her to scream at tall men in black coats for some time.

And, well, as you said the truck. No way he could have landed there, too far away.

Also - it was Sherlock on the rooftop, it was Sherlock who jumped and it was Sherlock on the pavement. Any theories saying he wasn't - FAIL, I think.

May 22, 2012 8:25 pm  #17

It would have been easy to hypnotise the little girl or use auto-suggestion to make her scream when she saw Sherlock.

May 22, 2012 8:48 pm  #18

Maybe the little girl has been made watching some frightening stories on kids TV like "The wicked man in a bad coat (with a short friend)".  This was of course told by THE STORY TELLER...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 22, 2012 8:49 pm  #19

I think it was to do with the fact that she had mercury poisoning. It can cause delirium and hallucinations...she'd only really need to be shown a picture of Sherlock in order to get freaked out by seeing the real Sherlock...

May 23, 2012 3:01 am  #20

Oh you people are talking about foreign food!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera