BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2013 9:43 am  #1

Outsmarting Moriarty

Hey everyone!
My friend and I have been pondering Moriarty's epic diamond smash n grab job in the Tower of London and decided it's impossible to break bullet proof glass with a diamond, gum and a fire extinguisher. 

We can bicker all we want- but we finally sent it in to the experts! MYTHBUSTERS!
If we get it popular enough, the research team will see it and possibly hand it off to the team. 
Let's make it happen!

http://disq.us/8dthv3

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"You being all mysterious with your cheek bones and turning your collar up so you look cool..."
"I don't do that!"
"YEAH yuh do!"

June 30, 2013 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Outsmarting Moriarty

According to Chemistry  there's a difference between "tenacity" and "hardness". Diamonds are very hard, which means they cannot be scratched, but they're not tenacious, which means they can be broken almost as easily as ordinary glass. It's not possible, then. Is that what you're talking about?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

June 30, 2013 9:59 pm  #3

Wish this had one of those Facebook 'like' things. Like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2013 7:09 am  #4

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about! The diamond (unless protected somehow by the gum?) would just shatter
if it DIDN'T shatter- is the speed of the fire extinguisher enough to break all the panes of the bullet proof glass?
also- my mom seems to think hitting bullet proof glass with an extinguisher alone would break the glass... probably not BUT Id like to prove her wrong anyway

Besides... if we can out smart Sherlock- my life would be just fantastc... and sad all at the same time

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"You being all mysterious with your cheek bones and turning your collar up so you look cool..."
"I don't do that!"
"YEAH yuh do!"

Board footera