BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2013 4:37 pm  #21

Re: POLL: Which is your favorite episode?

Punch me in the face wrote:

Yeah it's just a pity I can't do the ceremonies myself. Well I know I think I could manage the Gong fu cha  ceremony (I mean, the gestures and all), a chinese one,  but then I don't know which teapot to use for each tea, how many grams I should use, which temperature.. .because all this depends on each tea, and this has to be so very precise.

But he did everything Soo Lin does, with the kind of "paintbrush" and all... It created a very warm and peaceful atmosphere and I miss those moments. Well, of course his teapots are not as old as the Museum's ones in TBB, but they are all handmade teapots in specific China or Japan, some cost more than 500 euros. Well...

I don't know a word of Chinese, but I'm a bit familiar with Japanese (I don't speak it, only know about 20-30 words and a few kanas, because my husband's grandmother was Japanese, she died young so he never knew her but he had learnt Japanese and was quite fluent) and it's true that the symbols definitely looked asian, even if you don't know what it means.

I know how to make matcha, but I don't the steps of the ceremony itself.  I do have three teapots- one for my english teas (black teas), one for my green tea, and one for my white teas.  I can't really mix them or it muddles the taste of my tea, which is why I have one of each.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 30, 2013 12:37 am  #22

I vote for HoB - the sheer genius of making the Hound real - in all the other versions, it's not real - even canon.  the insidiousness of the drug in the fog - the fog getting thicker and thicker the longer they're in Dewars Hollow.

I still think - and this is cruel of me - that when Sherlock tells John, I have only one friend - even though he does mean it - it's more manipulation than emotion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

June 30, 2013 9:26 am  #23

When I first heard about the series, I couldn't buy the idea of a modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes' stories. I thought it woudn't work and I wouldn't like them. Even the first snapshot I encountered of the main duo made the impression worse. It was the picture of Sherlock and John on their way to the crime scene on taxi. They appeared to me as teenagers and quite unlike of what I imagined.

When watching ASiP almost a year later, I was still the sceptic, but from the introduction scene of Sherlock in the morgue onwards everything changed  and the episode and actors captivated me thoroughly and I forgot I was there to nitpicking. ASiP is always my favourite

I don't like TBB much. IMO, it lacks depth and realism. It's like a comedy film

There is something grandeur about ASiB and many beautiful scenes are there.  But what I don't like about the episode is the feeling that John is being relegated to the background because of Irene and the final scene of her being rescued by Sherlock  has just reinforced that impression. Irene being saved by Sherlock (even if it's imagined by Sherlock) isn't in tune with either of the characters. I would rather see her assasinated or in the rescue shelter or find her way out using her own wits.

June 30, 2013 10:19 am  #24

holmes23 I was much like you originally, sceptical about the series but I too have been captivated by it. TBB reminds me a little of the old TV version of Batman, a agree about the almost comedic parts of it; all rather slapstick. I also agree with your views on ASiB, I wished Irene had proved more of a real match to Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 1, 2013 1:42 pm  #25

"A Scandal in Belgravia" - I love how they adapted "the woman", because, frankly, Steven Moffat is right, there isn't much in the original story that makes one understand why Sherlock regarded her so highly. But they managed to turn this into a beautiful (also beautifully shot!) story and generally just a great joy to watch - over and over again . And I love the attraction between Sherlock and Irene.

The second one would be "Reichenbach Fall", just for sheer acting brilliance as far as Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Scott and Martin Freeman are concerned!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

July 3, 2013 7:51 pm  #26

Looks like I was Lucky 13 to vote for Scandal.  It has so many of my favorite moments.  It feels like only five minutes whenever I pop it in.

Here;s the Runner Up

And the Winner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

July 4, 2013 7:29 am  #27

ASIB is like candy to me.  Not perfect,  not necessarily the best
nutrition,  but irresistible.   To me,  it's the most
elegantly directed and edited episode.  Lovely to look at.
The characters sparkle.

The other episodes have their hooks and strengths and
brilliance,  but ASIB (other than the Irene end scene)
holds up anytime for me,  capturing the essential elements
that make this whole series the best of its kind.

July 4, 2013 7:55 am  #28

I personally loved "The Great Game".  It was truly a great one.  There was so much going on and so many cases seemed paked into one, it kept you on your toes the whole time, it was intense and just brilliant!  Needless to say I don't like Moriarty he is such a......pain but the actor did an amazing job bringing him together to make him such a pain in the....well you know.  Plus the end of the episode....the moment that John and Sherlock had, an amazing friendship, priceless

Also the Hounds of Baskerville is my second favorite.

Now A Scandal in Belgravia had the best funny moments now that I think about it and...well....now I am rethinking this.....OH BULLOCKS!

Last edited by Chiblits (July 4, 2013 7:57 am)

July 4, 2013 10:30 am  #29

It's a hard choice, I actually love all episodes, maybe except The Blind Banker (I only like this one ;) ). But if I have to choose... A Study in Pink would be the one Simply because it was the first episode I watched and the first at all. That was the episode that made me love Sherlock (even more than I loved the original version). There was everything in that episode - great mystery, great humour, the first meeting beetween Sherlock and John... Everything I need in the good show. My only objection is the final scene beetween Sherlock and the cab driver - I like this scene more in the Unaired Pilot. But it doesn't change the brilliancy of this episode.
On the second place are two episodes equally - The Great Game and The Scandal in Belgravia. The first one, because of the plot, and the second one... because the funny moment's are... outstanding!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi.

"Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring." - Sherlock Holmes.

http://koktajl-kulturowy.blogspot.com/

Board footera