BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2013 9:33 pm  #1

My first ever fan fic! *gasp* (Warning: Will make you cry)

So, I just finished writing my first ever fan fic and I almost couldn't finish it because I was crying so hard. God knows where this idea came from, but it's pretty dark and very sad. I quite enjoyed writing it though. Anyway...here it is:

He scraped out the sting with the edge of the fingernail on his right thumb, giving a quiet chuckle to himself. They were always very active at this time of year, easily excitable, defending their honey and their queen. Still though, he'd managed to get a good haul of honey. One by one, he carried the heavy, dripping frames through to the kitchen of the cottage, and began the slow but enjoyable process of extracting the sweet nectar, with the end result poured into small jars that continued to stack higher and higher as the hours went by.

Once the light began to change outside, Sherlock checked the time on the clock above the sink. He wanted to go before it got dark. Just as the sun went down. It was more pleasant, less people. He hated other people being there.

With a small weary sigh, he washed his hands free of the honey and reached for the old tattered Belstaff hung over the back of the door, shrugging it onto his shoulders and looping the dusty blue scarf around his neck.

He kept his head down on the short walk through the village. He didn't particularly feel like talking to anyone and having to listen to their minor and obvious problems they may or may not present for him to 'solve'. They were hardly cases, but then, he didn't take cases anymore. He was far too old to be running round after criminals and besides, it wasn't the same without John. It never had been.

The pain and the anger still raged in his heart, like someone was twisting a knife round in the centre of his chest. It never really went away, but it was always stronger when he was here, more intense. The guilt, too. The guilt was almost crippling. He blamed himself. He always had done. If he'd been quicker, smarter, got there sooner, none of this would have happened. Then there was the regret. All those what ifs and maybes, thoughts of what could have been, what /they/ could have been.

He stood perfectly still, his hands in his pockets, just staring.

He'd never forgotten that afternoon all those many years ago, when he'd watched from a distance and overheard John talking to his grave, saying all those emotive words, willing him not to be dead. At the time, he didn't fully comprehend what John was going through, what he'd had to suffer after watching him take the topple from St Bart's.

He knew now.

He couldn't do it, though. He couldn't do what John had done. All that...talking. He wanted to. There'd been many occasions in the last eighteen months when he'd opened his mouth to say something, but the words just vanished, choked at the back of his throat. Expressing his emotions had never been easy. It was even harder now.

Sherlock took a few steps closer and crouched down, balancing on the balls of his feet with his knees bent, coat trailing in the mud. He reached out his right hand and traced the edges of John's name in the stone with his fingers, his eyes stinging slightly. The pollen always got to him when he came here, made them water.

He opened his mouth and took a breath, as if to speak. Then closed it again. There was so much he wanted to say, so much he needed to say.   

He loved John. He loved him with every single fibre in his body, with every breath he had left in him and if he could swap places and have John alive and him inside that grave he'd do so in a heartbeat. Because John was special and important and amazing, brave and incredible and loyal and all those things Sherlock couldn't be, could never be. Not without him. He needed him. He needed his John, and he missed him so much he sometimes wished he wouldn't wake up in the morning. But he carried on. He carried on because he knew that was what John would have wanted, would have called him an idiot for thinking anything else. He had to get on with his life.

Sherlock didn't say any of this.

After several minutes of silence, he stood up and took two steps backwards, putting some more distance between him and the headstone. He stared down at the ground for a moment, frowning. Then he looked up, took a slow, measured breath, and said what he always said.

"Goodbye, John."

And with that, he swiftly turned and strode out of the graveyard, heading back to the small cottage he always dreamed they would share together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 13, 2013 9:49 pm  #2

Re: My first ever fan fic! *gasp* (Warning: Will make you cry)

Very very sad indeed, boss! Well done! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 14, 2013 2:36 am  #3

....Why??? ...Why????? *starts sobbing*  I mean, it was beautiful...in a completely tragic heart-breaking kinda way (like Alone on the Water), but still...*cries* 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 14, 2013 2:43 am  #4

Oh boss! It's the last scene of Reichenbach in reverse. Well done! I love short stories. They are my favorite form of literature but this one makes me wish it was longer.  I'd love to know the circumstances of John's death and why Sherlock blames himself for it. Do you have the back story in your head?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 14, 2013 4:11 am  #5

This. Was a bit not good way to start my day, boss.
Fortunately, I still haven't used mascara...
Very well done, though. Would you consider to write more?

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 14, 2013 4:23 am  #6

Yes, please consider to write more.  So many lovely sentences in it, so heart-breaking (the pollen, yes, sure!)

Well done!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 14, 2013 7:55 am  #7

Thanks guys! :-)

Yeah, it was actually a really enjoyable experience (in an odd, sad sort of way), so I'd definitely like to write some more in the future.

And yeah, I do have a backstory of what happened and everything so...perhaps there might be a second chapter in order, or a sequel....hehe. *cries*

June 14, 2013 8:09 am  #8

I wonder if I should read it while I'm still at work........?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 14, 2013 8:37 am  #9

Very sad and moving, Boss. I'd love to read more about the background story. I nearly teared up as early as at th  old, tattered Belstaff.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 14, 2013 8:58 am  #10

Excuse me, I couldn't read the last lines through the water in my eyes. *curls up in a corner crying*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 16, 2013 3:47 am  #11

Well, I loves me some angst-- my absolute fave kind of fan fic. I also like when the characters are written about when they're older.

This was sad, but.... somehow, it was right, if that makes any sense. One of them had to "go" before the other, after all, and in this case, it was John who left first, leaving his Sherlock behind. That's sad, but it's also inevitable. I felt bad for Sherlock, but somehow I also got a sense of peace from the way you wrote him-- his solitude, the bees, the making sure to go visit John, just living out his life in a cottage. Peace comes in all kinds of shapes, sizes and forms, after all.

I smiled when I read about the pollen bothered him at the cemetery, hence his wet eyes. C'mon, Sherlock....

Thanks for sharing this. It was lovely. Not happy, but totally "them".

June 16, 2013 2:21 pm  #12

Hi, your fan fic is beautifully written and I enjoyed it. The coat and the scarf are there, too, old tattered and dusty.
I myself like fan fiction with angst, some case fic and a happy ending.

May I ask a general question about Sherlock fanfiction here?
I have read a lot of them. Why is it that we find so many stories with Sherlock suffering, being ill, wrong, beaten or punished (by John or others) for being himself?
What is the psychological reason for this? Is it that we can't stand him being the genius all the time? I know that it is a plot device, but is there a deeper psychological point in it? Are we even like Sally Donovan who treats him badly? Sometimes Doyle didn't like him either. I am really interested in this.

June 16, 2013 2:45 pm  #13

Ha, that's a good question. I think on a simpler level, it's because he's our hero, and people like to see a hero who has faults and flaws, a hero who can feel pain and suffer, just like we can, a hero they can relate to.

June 16, 2013 2:48 pm  #14

In my fiction, I like the heroes to overcome trouble and hardships. So, I have to bring them into it, first - part of my job 

Last edited by Harriet (June 16, 2013 2:50 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 16, 2013 4:26 pm  #15

That's true, Harriet. 
Be: There may be a deeper truth. Sometimes he's punished for being himself which may seem unfair and sometimes is when he cannot help it. On the other hand there are wonderful fics in which he has to undergo a personal development, an inner journey during which learns to deal with other people's emotions and to act less ruthlessly towards them. I like those fics very much provided he doesn't change beyond recognition. There's a fine balance between changing for the better and losing yourself. 
This is also what the series shows  - a development from being totally self-centred at the beginning towards becoming the "good man" Lestrade talks about in ASiP. He'll never be the conventional good man but a better version of himself. Which is enough for me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2013 4:51 pm  #16

SusiGo wrote:

This is also what the series shows  - a development from being totally self-centred at the beginning towards becoming the "good man" Lestrade talks about in ASiP. He'll never be the conventional good man but a better version of himself. Which is enough for me. 

"The best man", according to John.

Personally, I don't like fics that focus too much on changing Sherlock's personality for the "better". Just because somebody is different that doesn't necessarily mean they have to adapt and become like everybody else. I don't like the moral of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

June 16, 2013 4:58 pm  #17

Right, QE. A bit is okay, but not too much, please. 

Boss, love your ff, btw. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 16, 2013 5:01 pm  #18

Agree, QE. I don't like that moral either. We are not into "Educating Sherlock" 

June 16, 2013 8:27 pm  #19

Oh, I forgot to say - it's a very sad, but very good story, Boss!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

June 16, 2013 9:05 pm  #20

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Oh, I forgot to say - it's a very sad, but very good story, Boss!

Hehe, thanks. I kind of enjoyed it, so think I'll probably write more in the future. I set up an AO3 profile anyway.

Board footera