BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2012 4:58 pm  #161

Re: Parade's End

SusiGo wrote:

Good point about the hypocrisy, Davina. It seems as if Christopher's profound goodness and generosity simply provoke the worst in other people. They make use of him - e.g. his calculations for Macmaster which finally result in him being knighted, constantly borrowing money from him - but cannot accept that he is a good man. They see their own faults and try to block them out by slandering someone who lives according to his principles.

I haven't watched the show yet, so can't comment directly, but the above quote from Susi applies to so much of life. 'Good' people, of which I count myself as one, have to be constantly on their guard so that they don't get taken advantage off. Even on something as trivial as Twitter and Facebook can bring out the worst in people. Interacting with you guys here helps me to restore my faith in human nature, which does take a bit of a battering at times. End of philosophical mini-rant. 

So, getting back to PE, no sexy-times for Chrissie and Valentine yet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 10, 2012 5:20 pm  #162

How much do you want to know spoiler-wise? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2012 5:32 pm  #163

Personally, spoilers don't bother me at all, but maybe you could put a warning at the top of your post to let other know. Though if they are reading this thread, they probably know what is going on, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 10, 2012 5:48 pm  #164

SPOILERS
It's complicated, to say the least. They love each other so much and you can see it in their eyes and gestures. It's handled in a beautiful and delicate way. Above I described how Christopher finally asks her if she'll be his mistress meaning of course much more than just taking her to bed. She makes herself ready for the night and you can feel her anticipation and joy but once again others prevent their coming together. But there is hope for them. There is, however, also a beautiful scene between him and Sylvia after he's come home shell-shocked and she sort of comforts him until he sleeps. There you have again the ambiguity in their relationship. But he belongs to Valentine, no doubt. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2012 6:02 pm  #165

Thanks for the info, Susi. I've started reading the books on my Kindle (did I mention,,,) and the writing, while beautiful, is very different to the modern style and I have to reread bits to get the full meaning, but it also means I can savour it. It makes me wonder how many other older books there are that have been neglected over the years. I looked up a list of Nobel Prize winners on Wikipedia and have downloaded some of their work, mainly the older free editions . How am I going to find time to read every book in the world before I die?

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 10, 2012 6:33 pm  #166

You don't have to, hep. Not every book is worth reading. But still quite a lot are, so you'll have to live for a very long time. I really appreciated the dictionary on my Kindle because I had to look up much more than usual when reading PE.

September 12, 2012 1:04 am  #167

I'm new here but I wanted to add that I have been watching Parade's End and I have loved it.  It is beautiful, the acting is superb, and of course Benedict is to die for.  I knew he was an incredible actor in Sherlock, but to see him play such a different character so convincingly is wonderful.  I love Sylvia, she's so beautiful and angry and bitter and misguided... I loved the scene with Sylvia and Christopher when he came home shell-shocked and she comforted him.  I know she's not meant to be the ideal woman but I love her style and how believable she is.  With Valentine, I guess I'm having problems seeing where the affection between her and Chris comes from.  I did love that night they spent together, the morning in the fog, how they seemed to connect.  But with five years going by, it seems like those feelings aren't based on very much interaction.  I guess I'm not enough of a romantic to believe that feelings like that could be so sudden and last so long with so little to feed them.  But I am very much looking forward to continuing to watch the show and seeing how things develop.

September 13, 2012 5:31 pm  #168

I don't think this article from the Huffington Post had been posted here before. I certainly haven't read it before. Presumably the girlfriend referred to is Anna Jones, a fashion designer, I think. (cow) (no, not really, I'm just jealous)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/12/sherlock-benedict-cumberbatch-parades-end_n_1877725.html

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 13, 2012 5:40 pm  #169

All pretty spooky. Makes you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 13, 2012 5:47 pm  #170

Yeh, about the girlfriend (not that I"m obsessing or anything)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 13, 2012 6:08 pm  #171

I read a short account of that incident in an interview but it was incomplete and I didn't really understand what happened (I think it's on the BBC site). It's really weird, isn't it? I've read a bit about such things and I'm never sure if such experiences are real. However, I once felt when a friend of mine died (I mean, I knew that something was wrong, not what was really going on) and that made me a bit less skeptical. And I think it's quite brave of Benedict to talk about this so openly. But so far no one seems to have made fun of him.

September 13, 2012 9:21 pm  #172

So it isn't true?

We'll be quiet.

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 13, 2012 9:32 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 14, 2012 12:24 am  #173

Oh that's a very interesting article. I hadn't read that one before. Fascinating!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 14, 2012 5:58 am  #174

Mattlocked, they're beautiful.  The way she looks at him.

September 14, 2012 11:38 am  #175

I love the "So it isn't true?" scene between them.  So much is said with their eyes and facial expressions.  It's really beautiful. (especially Benny)

September 14, 2012 5:58 pm  #176

Oh, btw. thanks that you always try to answer my questions and help me out of my confusion It helps a great deal!
(I guess Parade's End is quite complex... or I'm just a bit stupid, I don't know ;))

Okay, now here's why everyone needs to watch the next episode of Parade's End!
Wait for it...

September 14, 2012 6:10 pm  #177

*thud* I'm done. Too much for a woman my age.   

September 14, 2012 6:52 pm  #178

Holy wow!  Now I really can't wait for the next Parade's End... :drooling:

September 14, 2012 8:28 pm  #179

SusieGo needs the crash wagon you medics!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 14, 2012 8:32 pm  #180

lol
I just wondered if she already has a *thud* key on her keyboard or if she has to write it ten times a day... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera