BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2012 12:33 pm  #121

Re: Parade's End

Thanks for the link, Davina, that's a very nice article. I love the idea of Benedict "eating himself" into the role of Tietjens. Maybe with strudel or cheesecake. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2012 1:01 pm  #122

Banoffee Pie is a favourite of his I believe. Though any dessert will do sweetie!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 29, 2012 1:10 pm  #123

Oh, I can do a decent panna cotta with fruit or chocolate sauce. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2012 4:56 pm  #124

Update on ratings. 3.5 million watched on Friday night. The best viewing figures for BBC2 since 1995 when Rome was aired.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 29, 2012 5:05 pm  #125

Interview with Sir Tom Stoppard:

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/it's-very-nice-its-worked-out-quite-so-well-sir-tom-stopppard-modest-about-bbc2-record-drama-ratings-8084208.html

August 29, 2012 5:40 pm  #126

Thank you, chaps, that actually helped a lot

Yes, subtitles might be helpful. Though I think the voice Benedict gave Christopher is brilliant, it fits his character perfectly. ;)

August 29, 2012 5:59 pm  #127

Sammy wrote:

Thank you, chaps, that actually helped a lot

Yes, subtitles might be helpful. Though I think the voice Benedict gave Christopher is brilliant, it fits his character perfectly. ;)

I love the way he says the line when he's talking to the carriage driver about putting less liquorice in the mare's mash...and it comes out as "myash" 

August 30, 2012 8:55 am  #128

Davina wrote:

There is a very detailed review of the book here:

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/24/julian-barnes-parades-end-ford-madox-ford

Beware of lots of spoilers!!

Belated thanks for the link to this excellent article. Although I disagree with Mr Barnes regarding the end of the book but then I am an old romantic. Maybe we can discuss our views on the outlook at a later point.

August 30, 2012 9:12 am  #129

The German media are finally discovering "Parade's End". This is a long article from Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung describing the literary importance of the books and commenting on Tom Stoppard's approach and the comparisons between PE and DA.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/medien/parade-s-end-als-serie-verfilmt-eine-ganze-welt-liegt-in-truemmern-11865801.html

August 30, 2012 9:14 am  #130

Davina wrote:

Banoffee Pie is a favourite of his I believe. Though any dessert will do sweetie!

Oh you sloppy sloppy fangirl.
I actually remembered him saying that too but was never going to post it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 30, 2012 10:11 am  #131

Ah ha! You remembered it too though didn't you! Lol

August 30, 2012 10:12 am  #132

Please, I am too old to roll my eyes this many times without getting sick.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 30, 2012 10:23 am  #133

Ah Susi thank you so much for posting the article. I really enjoyed reading it and learnt several things I was previously unaware of e.g. Ford Madox Ford being related to Ford Madox Brown the Pre-Raphaelite artist. I also loved the description of Benedict's portrayal of Christopher Tietjens' (family of Dutch descent) trembling chin and stiff upper lip. Wonderful stuff. An intelligent, well-informed and well-written article.

August 31, 2012 12:49 pm  #134

DaddyBatch !!! As in. Daddy of the Batch, not Batch becoming a daddy 

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/30582964990/benedict-cumberbatch-behind-the-scenes-on-parades

Last edited by hepzibah (August 31, 2012 12:50 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 1, 2012 1:45 pm  #135

Ah! Just watched the second episode of Parade's End. The way Benedict walks in this really helps to establish the character of Christopher Tietjens. Parts made me smile, parts made me laugh aloud, others made me cringe and others made me cry.

September 1, 2012 2:03 pm  #136

Sorry guys, I have to come back to this for a short moment:
http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/125001053614007/Banoffee-Pie.html

I just found out that Ben and me could perfectly live together. There would never be a fight - he would have ALL of that pie on his own!

Regarding Parade's End I just found out that this thread contains some spoilers, too. So I will go on just watching the pictures in this forum until the end of the Parade. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 1, 2012 2:21 pm  #137

Cooking a tin of condensed milk for two hours? Good heavens, I'm not sure if I would do this for Benedict. Just joking. 

September 1, 2012 3:02 pm  #138

That's just what I was going to write, except I was thinking that is sounds a bit, dangerous! What's all this 'it might explode' stuff? Sounds dangerous to me! Good use for Hobnobs though, all in the study of science, of course. Actually this is the sort of chemistry I could get quite excited about.

September 1, 2012 3:29 pm  #139

Oh, I didn't even read that exploding thing!  It was just "condensed milk and bananas" - and goodbye for me!

"Cook if convenient. If inconvenient cook anyway.          Might be dangerous."

"Found an unopen tin in boiling water!?"
"It's an experiment!"

"Surprising Pie!"

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 1, 2012 4:47 pm  #140

What would Mrs. Hudson make of that?

Board footera