BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2012 3:29 pm  #41

Re: Parade's End

Link to interview with Ben - don't think it has been posted here yet. It has quite a few spoliers for the series, so beware. And, my God, the boy can talk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/paradesend/benedict-cumberbatch.html

Last edited by hepzibah (August 1, 2012 3:35 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 1, 2012 3:42 pm  #42

As I mentioned I'm reading the book at the moment and had to laugh when Ben's character was described as a fat man. However, I found a quote that applies quite well to Sherlock and John:

"It was an odd friendship, but the oddnesses of friendships are a frequent guarantee of their lasting texture."

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2012 4:51 pm  #43

A fantastic article. Yes the boy can talk but with such insight and so eloquently. The only thing that rankled were the unnecessary typos; I do wish this had been proof-read and corrected before publication. (I know I'm being picky but this is the BBC).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 2, 2012 3:14 pm  #44

I started reading the article and was very impressed, but I'll continue after I've finished the book. Too many spoilers from our well-read boy. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 2, 2012 3:32 pm  #45

SusiGo wrote:

I started reading the article and was very impressed, but I'll continue after I've finished the book. Too many spoilers from our well-read boy. 

Are you enjoying the book, Susi? I bought it yesterday and hope to start reading it before the series airs... we can share impressions

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

August 2, 2012 3:48 pm  #46

It's interesting, but not so easy to read. There's stream of consciousness and sometimes the chronological structure is broken up. The characters are very well drawn and I'm looking forward to the parts that take place during the war. Tietjens is  an interesting character and of course it's great that Tom Stoppard wanted Ben to play him from the very beginning although there is not much similarity regarding their looks. He must have felt that Ben was able to convey the various facets of his character convincingly (which he did, of that I'm sure). You have to read it with concentration.

August 2, 2012 6:53 pm  #47

Ok, noted. Thanks

I'll tell you when I start reading.

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

August 2, 2012 7:33 pm  #48

But there are some funny passages as well, especially between Tietjens and Valentine. Intelligent banter.

August 4, 2012 7:20 pm  #49

This book really grows on me. I'm very impressed by the writing and Christopher Tietjens is really a wonderful, complex character for Ben.

August 6, 2012 4:11 pm  #50

August 6, 2012 4:15 pm  #51

Oh, and I have to wait for the DVD. Not too long, I hope 

August 6, 2012 7:00 pm  #52

With a little luck, I might be able to watch at least the second episode directly on BBC

August 7, 2012 1:59 am  #53

New Images Of Benedict Cumberbatch, Adelaide Clemens & Rebecca Hall In 'Parade's End'

"The first images from the series have now surfaced ahead of its August 16th premiere on BBC2, and at first glance everything looks lusciously period and a little bit reminiscent of ITV’s “Downton Abbey."  Maybe it’s the Edwardian setting of the British countryside and the sight of a grand country manor, or maybe it’s just that Cumberbatch’s swept blonde hair-do looks a little bit like Dan Stevens’ in the Emmy-baiting series. Other than the many pictures of Mr. Cumberbatch, there are a couple of looks at Rebecca Hall (looking as stunning as usual), but we get to see even more of the 22 year-old Clemens who will play the young suffragette Valentine Wannop."

Check the link for pics, I won't copy them all here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 7, 2012 8:21 am  #54

Thanks for the link, Kazza, I like the one with the tweed cap best. 

And here's another interesting quote from the novel:

"And she knew, too, that he was telling her that he, like her, was … oh, say on the side of the angels." 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 7, 2012 9:25 am)

August 7, 2012 5:59 pm  #55

It seems I can't keep off this thread since starting to read the books. I just read the BBC interview with Benedict. Wow, he's really eloquent and smart and has a lot of wonderful things to say about the novels. I'd love to have a discussion with him about them.

August 7, 2012 6:00 pm  #56

Susi, you'd waste time talking?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 7, 2012 7:00 pm  #57

Er, just for getting started, sort of warm-up. I can't jump at him right away, can I?   

August 9, 2012 6:44 am  #58

Some brilliant pictures from the series here

Certainly some serious costuming going on there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 9, 2012 8:38 am  #59

The costumes and hairstyles look absolutely wonderful. But then I've always admired the care and effort the BBC takes with period pieces.

August 11, 2012 7:02 am  #60

Reading these 2 articles, the 'love & respect' Ben has for this character has certainly made me want to get to know him more too!

Christopher is not just another toff in a period drama ... he’s truly heroic

"SHERLOCK star Benedict Cumberbatch has revealed his latest telly role is the toughest yet ......."

"I have such a huge affection for Christopher — more so than almost any other character I’ve played.............."

Well going by Ben's words, I cannot wait to 'meet' Christopher Tietjens!

Benedict Cumberbatch returns in Parade's End - A world away from Sherlock Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch's latest television role sees him playing a repressed civil servant

Benedict Cumberbatch has fallen in love with an overweight civil servant called Christopher. 'I am enamoured of his principles, his virtue and the goodness he stands for,' he says, grinning the wonky grin of the hopelessly smitten. 'I love him. I really do think that Christopher Tietjens is the character I'm most fond of ever having played.'

Very insightful articles.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera