BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2012 1:10 pm  #1

Parade's End

Benedict has already completed this ( finished in December apparently)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/09_september/19/parade.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9088827/Sir-Tom-Stoppards-Parades-End-first-picture.html

All press says it is to be released 'later this year' in a series on BBC Two. Anyone have word on when it is due?
Meantime, I guess I should get the books and read it huh?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 21, 2012 4:39 pm  #2

Re: Parade's End

Will keep my eyes and ears open!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 8, 2012 4:06 am  #3

A few more details about the filming of this series:

http://www.freemasonrytoday.com/features/item/522-how-to-make-a-costum%20e-drama

Some on the set photos,   although can barely spot B.C.   Look at photos 25, 26, 35:

http://www.catho-bruxelles.be/Parade-s-End-premieres-images-du.html?lang=fr

April 9, 2012 5:17 am  #4

Really looking forward to watching this series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 26, 2012 2:38 am  #5

Parade's End is an adaptation of Tom Stoppard  ( Shakespeare in Love ) from the work of Ford Mardox Ford, starring  Benedict Cumberbatch  ( Sherlock ),  Rebecca Hall  and  Adelaine Clemens , among others.

Set during the first World War, the five-episode mini-series chronicles the life of Christopher Tietjens, a passive and conservative English aristocrat married to Sylvia, an ambitious woman who has extramarital affairs.

When Christopher goes to war he knows Wannop Valentine, a young feminist who becomes part of the triangle.

Also in the cast are actors Roger Allam,  Anne-Marie Duff, Rupert Everett, Stephen Graham  (Boardwalk Empire),  Clare Higgins, Janet McTeer, Miranda Richardson  (Rubicon),  Freddie Fox  (The Shadow Line),  Jack Huston  (Boardwalk Empire) , Tom Mison, Geoffrey Palmer, Jamie Parker  (The Hour) and  Steven Robertson .

Parade's End is a Mammoth Screen production in partnership with the Anchorage Entertainment, Look Out Point and Trademark Films, filmed on location in the UK, Belgium and France. Still no release date announced, the miniseries was sold to channels in Australia (Nine Network) and France (Art) during MIPTV, fair audiovisual for which this poster was produced.

Oh wow, I actually adore watching Rupert Everett. Perhaps people can tell us about the other actors? Yes, I can Google & probably will so please don't just post Wiki links etc, but I'd like to hear some personal points of view from others who have watched them in other shows/films.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 26, 2012 12:15 pm  #6

Roger Allam! Yay!

June 27, 2012 1:12 pm  #7

Parade's End has been licensed to 17 Central and Eastern European regions via HBO. It is also to be shown by RTV Slovenia, ETV Estonia, LTV Latvia and STV Slovakia.

Further information:

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/260612paradesend.html/

June 27, 2012 1:17 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Roger Allam! Yay!

Let's see if they can abstain from playing Yellow Car in the trenches .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2012 5:11 pm  #9

Apparently, Benny's dad, Timothy Carlton, will be playing his character's father in this series. All together now, ahh 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 20, 2012 5:20 pm  #10

I'm really looking forward to this. I love stories about that time that in Germany unfortunately practically nobody wants to see or read about.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2012 5:30 pm  #11

Susi, have you seen War Horse? Benny has a small role, but the film as a whole tells a very interesting, sad story. And do you know the story of the Christmas Truce?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

Is it in poor taste to tell you that my grandfather fought in the Australian Army in France during World War I? If so, ignore me 
Glad the world is generally a more peaceful place now.

Last edited by hepzibah (July 20, 2012 5:31 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 20, 2012 5:45 pm  #12

No, I haven't seen it yet. And I heard about the Christmas truce and shall read the Wikipedia article as well. Of course it's not poor taste at all, I think everybody's happy that our countries don't fight each other anymore. But the thing in Germany is that WW II and the Third Reich have sort of pushed everything that came before to the back of people's minds. I once wrote a novel taking place immediately after WW I and was told that it wouldn't sell. I think in Britain it's quite different. I was very impressed when in 2007 I spent some weeks at Exeter university and saw so many young people wearing poppies on their clothes.

July 20, 2012 5:50 pm  #13

For the German speakers among us a slightly outdated article from FAZ about the BBC programme exhibition. While talking about "Sherlock" it doesn't mention if "Parade's End" has been sold to German TV:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/medien/programm-messe-der-bbc-die-spur-des-geldes-fuehrt-zu-sherlock-holmes-11674265.html

July 20, 2012 6:05 pm  #14

In Australia, we wear poppies om ANZAC Day, 25th of April, the day we commemorate those who fought in all wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

It's a pity you haven't been able to get your book published as I believe there would be a market for it. Maybe you need to get it translatedinto english along with your other books. There would certainly be a market amongst the members here. If anyone wants an excellent read I can recommend Straight Into Darkness by Faye Kellerman as a murder mystery set in 1920's Berlin.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 20, 2012 6:23 pm  #15

hepzibah wrote:

In Australia, we wear poppies om ANZAC Day, 25th of April, the day we commemorate those who fought in all wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

It's a pity you haven't been able to get your book published as I believe there would be a market for it. Maybe you need to get it translatedinto english along with your other books. There would certainly be a market amongst the members here. If anyone wants an excellent read I can recommend Straight Into Darkness by Faye Kellerman as a murder mystery set in 1920's Berlin.

Yes, I think in English it might have had a chance. And I shall have a look at the Kellerman book.

July 20, 2012 9:34 pm  #16

I would think it will pretty much certainly be shown in Germany. It doesn't say specifically but it does say 17 central and eastern European countries.

July 20, 2012 10:30 pm  #17

Davina wrote:

I would think it will pretty much certainly be shown in Germany. It doesn't say specifically but it does say 17 central and eastern European countries.

But surely not in Spain
Gosh, I have to leave... like right now

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 21, 2012 7:09 am  #18

Found this on Tumblr (yes, I know, leave me alone!)

Must read Parade's End books

Last edited by hepzibah (July 21, 2012 7:11 am)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 21, 2012 7:12 am  #19

It's definitely been bought for Australia! Not that you'd be interested Hep! Lol

July 21, 2012 7:25 am  #20

Yeh, after the huge success here of Downton Abbey, it should do very well. We like the English costume dramas here. I believe it isn't being shown here until next year, so I may have to buy the DVD beforehand from the BBC website.

Last edited by hepzibah (July 21, 2012 7:25 am)

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

Board footera