BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2013 2:57 pm  #81

Re: Book Title Game (inspired by Cabin Pressure)

Yes, of course!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 14, 2013 3:00 pm  #82

Tantalus wrote:

More Than Like Near The Home Bird Flock

Sorry, gang, to have picked such an (evidentally) obscure book. Maybe the fact that I enjoyed it should have told me something... : )

How about a hint: We can play this game with the author's last name..."A Type of Golf Club and the Type of Place Lots of Us Live In"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 14, 2013 3:18 pm  #83

Be wrote:

A novel from 1933?

Love on the Dole by Walter Greenwood?

June 14, 2013 3:26 pm  #84

Sorry, Be. I missed your question from earlier. 1906, to be exact, though it was re-done by the author into its current form in the 1920s, I believe.

Thus, no, not Greenwood. : (

June 14, 2013 3:38 pm  #85

I try again:
Love among the Chickens by P.G. Wodehouse?
Probably wrong. Never heard of it. Just googled it.

Last edited by Be (June 14, 2013 3:40 pm)

June 14, 2013 3:46 pm  #86

Congratulations, Be! You've got it.

Don't worry; appartently, you aren't the only one who hasn't heard of it!

; /

June 14, 2013 4:00 pm  #87

Name: man in charge and man in charge of a ship

What it is: Two guys who are friends sail on big ships on far side of the world in days long past and get a sloth drunk once.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 14, 2013 4:03 pm  #88

Sounds like maybe "Master and Commander".

June 14, 2013 4:04 pm  #89

Tantalus wrote:

Sounds like maybe "Master and Commander".

That it is I love those books.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

June 14, 2013 4:09 pm  #90

I confess I haven't read them, but I did enjoy the Russell Crowe movie adaptation immensely.

Should I try this again?

How about: The Great Times of Fun and All Sorts of Weird Stuff by the World's Best Man Who Solves Crimes

June 14, 2013 5:08 pm  #91

Oh... oh..!  Pick me!  Shoot... I think I know this!  Probably got it wrong, as I'm only passingly familiar with it and think it's kind of obscure for most people, being so old, but the description sounds a lot like this thing called "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes".......

. . . am I right?     

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 14, 2013 5:20 pm  #92

I thought of that...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 15, 2013 9:48 am  #93

What You Call A Pretty Plant With Thorns

(Assuming the Sherlock Holmes thing is correct).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2013 10:01 am  #94

The Name Of The Rose

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 15, 2013 10:10 am  #95

Presuming that was right, here is the next one:

A year, not in the past back then

Last edited by Schmiezi (June 15, 2013 1:00 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 15, 2013 12:42 pm  #96

Yes, it was correct. I love that book and the film too! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2013 3:32 pm  #97

Schmiezi wrote:

A year, not in the past back then

Anyone?

June 16, 2013 3:23 am  #98

Back to the Future?   (seriously, I was soooo stuck, then that little amusing 'blip' of idea from description came and. . . wait. . .gah, me dense!  not doing movie titles, Russell!)  ;P  ;P

...Oh, oh, wait!   Taking it literally speaking to the year and nature of it.....   1984?  *hopeful grin*

Heh... I need to get better at this.   Interesting game for the brain.... keep thinking of more 'descriptive' ones myself, than word clues!

So who here remembers that really interesting one -  "A tale of a bird who flew fast and high and did not want to be like the other birds" 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 16, 2013 3:56 am  #99

The cat who can amaze and his rats who know many things

June 16, 2013 9:30 am  #100

Russell wrote:

...Oh, oh, wait! Taking it literally speaking to the year and nature of it..... 1984? *hopeful grin*

"

"1984" is right. I would also have accepted "2001"

Board footera