BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2013 1:27 am  #1

I've converted several family members with very little effort

I took my DVDs with me on my Easter visit to my family.  The Michigan weather was crap, cold and snowly, so I popped them in.  My dad and younder brother had to get used to the length of each episode, but kept asking me to pop in another. They practically fell to the floor in fits of laughter when Irene's text alert went off after Sherlock apologized to Molly.  We watched both series in two days.  They weren't too happy when they found out Series 3 won't be out for a while. Last week my baby brother graduated high school.  I'll give you three guesses to figure out what he bought with his graduation money.  He let me know that he bought Series two.  He actually drove 40 miles to buy series one. Guess what he popped in for everyone to watch last Sunday morning as my older brother, sister-in-law, sister, aunt, and cousin were visiting? Scndal in Belgravia (he didn't pick up Series 1 until last Monday).  My Dad was telling my older brother how much the show was worth checking out.  My sister-in-law is madly in love with Robert Downey Jr, and could not imagine a better Sherlock.  While I love RDJ myself and his portrayal of Sherlock, I think he's a much better Tony Stark.  Stan Lee must have had some sort of psychic vision of RDJ when he created Iron Man. RDJ is great as Sherlock, Benedict is freaking awesome. And I actually watched the films more for Jude Law. My sister-in-law did love the part where Sherlock threw the CIA d-bag out the window and John's bad days scene.  I think she'll be putting it in her netflix queue. She asked me if the BBC show was better than Elementary, people on this board can look at my past posts and guess my answer to that one. I tolsd her she should make up her own mind on that one as many people love Elementary, but while I love Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, I find Elementary to me bland.  She and my brother like watching House and Bones. I said "you know how House and Bones have interesting characters and a good blend of funny, tragic and dramatic moments? Elementary lacks those things."
  My mom has a soft spot for Martin Freeman after she saw him do amazing potrayals of two of her favorite literary characters-Bilbo Baggins and Arthur Dent.  She loves his portrayal of John and the interaction between John and Sherlock, especially when John pulls rank to get them into Baskerville.
My Cousin has become a total Cumberfan.  She loves actors with a lot of range.  She saw Star Trek a few weeks ago and though Benedict was amazing as Kahn.  She loves him as Sherlock.  She said that the mysteries on the show are great, but what makes her really enjoy watching it is Sherlock as a character. She likes Mrs. Hudson because she's the only woman (in Series 1) who doesn't completely annoy Sherlock.  I showed her the Broken News clip and some interviews.  She's very impressed with his range.  So several of my family members have now seen the show and they love it and they are telling other people about it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

June 12, 2013 3:59 am  #2

Re: I've converted several family members with very little effort

Wow - very good job, josabby!
Just come over here - there's so much more to do...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 12, 2013 12:43 pm  #3

I'm jealous. I haven't been able to convert anyone. I keep telling people at work about it but no one has watched it. I do have one friend who's seen it, but he's a guy so I can't fangirl with him  

June 12, 2013 1:00 pm  #4

Hi Merry,
the same with me. I mentioned Sherlock to some people but nobody was interested. Here in Germany people think of Sherlock Holmes as a stereotype and an old fashioned victorian story with gas lamps and the silly deer-stalker. When I try to explain nobody can imagine how good it is.
Of course the german translation/dubbing doesn't help really.

June 12, 2013 1:21 pm  #5

Excellent!  I've converted a couple members of my family, namely my brother and my mother...I got them hook, line and sinker! Hehe  My mom LOVES John, my brother...well, he likes everyone! 

-------------------------------------------------------

June 12, 2013 7:10 pm  #6

Hi, 
welcome. 
Good to hear that I am not the only one trying to convince pepole to watch Sherlock.
(Even in Germany ;))
Lucky for me there has been some sucess. A friend of mine asked me to bring the DVDs over when I visited, after I showed him the first episode. He NEVER does that, and Sherlock made him do this *jumps up and down*
So lets continue spreading the love.

June 13, 2013 6:27 am  #7

Welcome to the boards. Good to see more people in here.
Should we expect family members to begin arriving soon, then...?

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 15, 2013 8:39 pm  #8

Glad to have You here.
Your introduction was amzing, veyr good job.
Cheers from Poland.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

June 17, 2013 6:07 pm  #9

Merry wrote:

I'm jealous. I haven't been able to convert anyone. I keep telling people at work about it but no one has watched it. I do have one friend who's seen it, but he's a guy so I can't fangirl with him  

I recognise what you're saying.  I showed all 6 episodes to a friend of mine ( a guy) and to my sister.  This friend of mine also thinks the series is awesome, but he's not into any of the actors like i am now a fan of Benedict ;)  He's more a fan of Danearys Targaryen of Game of Thrones ;) ! My sister also likes Sherlock,  but she's not a fangirl. She still thinks Benedict has a scary-alien-kinda face. I totally disagree.
But after she watched the Reichenbach Fall, she sent me on whatsapp; " I want more Sherlock Hoooooolmes!! " haha

Good to hear that on this forum there are more fangirls ;) Each episode is one big puzzle. The actors are great, the stories are never boring..and so on..
I'm not really a fan of Martin Freeman's looks, though i DO think he's a great actor!! i really believe everything he sais and does! But i'm not attracted to him in any way... Benedict though ;) ....  he ..is ..HOT! haha. in my opinion..  but maybe (probably) i should continue typing about that subject in an other topic on this forum ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things"

*Sherlock: This is your heart. And you should never let it rule your head. You could have chosen any random number and walked out of here today with everything you worked for. But you just couldn't resist it, could you? I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof.
-Irene Adler: Everything I said, it's not real. I was just playing the game.
*Sherlock: I know. And this is just losing. {I AM SHERLOCKED}.

June 17, 2013 6:17 pm  #10

Josabby;  lucky you that people in your family and friends also like the Sherlock series!! Good job you introduced them to it (y)
I'm quite jealous about that;  my parents do like other British detectives, like "Silent Witness" or "Midsomer murders"  and they've seen House and  Bones, but they can't see the awesomeness of the series of Sherlock, by Gatiss and Moffat.
Lucky for me ; at this forum there are people who share my opinion and understand my Sherlock-addiction  ^^    I still have a lot to find out though .

Aaaanyways;   Welcome to this forum Josabby !!  Greets from NL,  Foy

Last edited by Foy27 (June 17, 2013 6:18 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things"

*Sherlock: This is your heart. And you should never let it rule your head. You could have chosen any random number and walked out of here today with everything you worked for. But you just couldn't resist it, could you? I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof.
-Irene Adler: Everything I said, it's not real. I was just playing the game.
*Sherlock: I know. And this is just losing. {I AM SHERLOCKED}.

July 4, 2013 2:23 pm  #11

Wow! That's a brilliant story.

It was actually my parents that converted ME to Sherlock, as I was all like "modern Sherlock Holmes?! PAH! *runs off to read canon and watch Jeremy Brett*"

Anyway, since then I've managed to convert my cousin, who is now a massive fanboy and texts me random Johnlock images every week or so.

I don't actually have any friends outside of the fandom, as I literally had no friends before Sherlock, so all the people I hang out with now are Sherlockians anyway.

Welcome to the forum btw!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera