BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2013 8:07 am  #1

Tv programmes from yesteryear we were fans of...

So AG and I both remember and one was a fangirl of Doctor Kildare with the, rather gorgeous, Richard Chamberlain (I think). What TV programmes do you remember from your youth (those of you who a actually old enough to have a youth, that is!) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 6, 2013 1:31 pm  #2

Re: Tv programmes from yesteryear we were fans of...

Besides Star Trek (which I still hold very dearly) I would say Quantum Leap and the first six or so seasons of Emergency Room.
And Frasier, but that's an all time good, like Trek!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 6, 2013 3:34 pm  #3

Davina wrote:

So AG and I both remember and one was a fangirl of Doctor Kildare with the, rather gorgeous, Richard Chamberlain (I think). What TV programmes do you remember from your youth (those of you who a actually old enough to have a youth, that is!)

Yes, Richard Chamberlain, back in the day. Blond and blue-eyed and his character was kind of touchy-feely, in a day when men on TV were usually portrayed as much more macho than that. The "other" TV doc of that era, Ben Casey, who was played by Vince Edwards (god bless the internet, I never could have thought of his name), was dark haired and brown eyed and much more rakish. The fangirl chat about the two of them, who was more hunky than the other, was endless in the early 60s. I was in junior high, and those guys in their early 20-somethings were older and dangerous. heh

My mother watched a lot of TV westerns in the 50s. On and on they went, Gunsmoke and Rawhide and The Rifleman and Big Valley are some I remember. In high school, I did love Bonanza, and we watched it faithfully every Sunday evening. Starring the late, great Lorne Greene. Michael Landon played one of the sons. Quite a show that one was.

June 6, 2013 3:38 pm  #4

Schmiezi wrote:

Besides Star Trek (which I still hold very dearly) I would say Quantum Leap and the first six or so seasons of Emergency Room. And Frasier, but that's an all time good, like Trek!

Yeah, I watched all 10 seasons of ER. Noah Wyle, yayyy! And a very young George Clooney.

Quantum Leap was cool, too, yes. Scott Bakula-- hunky and uber-talented, loved him in ST Enterprise, too.

My fave ST will always be Next Generation, though. Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, his "number one", Commander Ryker, and of course the wonderful android Data, played by someone else uber-talented, Brent Spiner.

June 6, 2013 4:21 pm  #5

I loved watching "Daktari" as a child. Don't know if it's the original title. It was about this veterinary and his daughter living in Africa. There was Clarence, the cross-eyed lion, and Judy, the chimp. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 6, 2013 4:36 pm  #6

First there was Star Trek, then came The X Files. I was glued to my TV watching that show for 9 years. They're my 2 favourites x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

June 6, 2013 5:08 pm  #7

Aww...  Quantum Leap!  The Next Generation!!  Loved those two for cheesy sci-fi fun, although I never watched them all the time. 

A little sheepish to admit I mainly remember The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Saved By The Bell, Full House (talk about cheesy cute kid's programs... ;p) various cartoon shows, including Disney's 'Gargoyles'...   I remember 'Frasier', like someone said, during teens... can't remember what other 'slightly older' shows watched, except for 'That 70's Show' and sometimes 'Seinfeld' or 'News Radio' if it was on, as wasn't at the tv that much around then rather than a book....  ;P   Anyone else love those?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 6, 2013 6:55 pm  #8

We used to watch the Westerns too. Bonanza with Hoss and Little Joe  . I also loved The Loan Ranger. I had forgotten Daktari ( that was the original title and I can still recall the theme tune) with dear Clarence & Judy. I also used to watch a programme called Zoo Time with Dr. Desmond Morris. I also loved Tales of the River Bank with Johnny Morris and the other animal programmes he did. Doctor Who was another big favourite although the Daleks scared the **** out of me. I used to watch from behind the settee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 6, 2013 7:23 pm  #9

Little House On The Prairie, Highway To Heaven, Land of the Giants and Lost in Space were all essential weekend viewing. Oh and Baywatch!

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

June 6, 2013 8:43 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

I loved watching "Daktari" as a child. Don't know if it's the original title. It was about this veterinary and his daughter living in Africa. There was Clarence, the cross-eyed lion, and Judy, the chimp. 

My mother loved that show back when it was first run in the 60s. I always had to leave the room when it was on, lololol. Couldn't stand it. Probably didn't help that my nickname is Judy.  ahem

*smile*

June 6, 2013 8:47 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

We used to watch the Westerns too. Bonanza with Hoss and Little Joe . I also loved The Loan Ranger.

Oh, the Lone Ranger, yes! On his white horse. And Tonto his Indian sidekick. Was the LR the one who said, "Hi ho, Silver, away!" to the horse? And the horse would rear up on his back legs, and off they'd gallop to save the day.  What a great show.  heh

Was the Lone Ranger the one with the William Tell Overture theme music?

Loved Hoss and Little Joe. Every time they fell in love with a girl and wanted to marry her, she'd get killed off, remember that? lolololol  Poor guys.  I loved the Ponderosa's Chinese cook, too. Hop Sing, I believe his character name was. Too funny.

The other shows you mentioned, Davina, must have been British shows. I've never heard of them.

June 6, 2013 8:50 pm  #12

nicbooful wrote:

Little House On The Prairie, Highway To Heaven, Land of the Giants and Lost in Space were all essential weekend viewing. Oh and Baywatch!

OMG, Lost in Space. Thanks for the memories. Remember that crazy robot that would wave his arms and say urgently, "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"  And Dr. Smith the evil stowaway they were all stuck with.

I don't remember Land of the Giants, but I watched those others, for sure, while my kids were little. 70s, I think. Maybe early 80s.

When I was a kid in the 50s, The Twilight Zone was a biggie-- that music still gives me the heebie jeebies.

June 6, 2013 8:51 pm  #13

Bonanza, yeah! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 6, 2013 8:58 pm  #14

SusiGo wrote:

Bonanza, yeah! 

Wonderful theme music too, playing over the old-timey map of the Ponderosa, and flaming at the edges. What a great series that was. Simple stories, simply told without sex or graphic violence or blood, wonderful character actors, and we all thought we "knew" them. Plus there were pretty horses. I loved Little Joe's black and white pinto the best.

June 6, 2013 9:10 pm  #15

I've loved a lot of these too.  X-Files, Quantam Leap, Next Gen.

Also, any other Moonlighting fans out there?  Bruce Willis was fraking cool.

St. Elsewhere.   Twin Peaks.  More recently, Six Feet Under.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2013 4:26 am  #16

Walker, Texas Ranger.
X-Files.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Angel.
Weirdsister College.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 7, 2013 4:31 am  #17

Sampy Arctica wrote:

Walker, Texas Ranger.
X-Files.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Angel.
Weirdsister College.

Oh, Buffy and Angel. I never loved them with all my heart (like Trek and now Sherlock), but my best friend from univertity does, and so I've seen them all. I still post her every picture that bashes Twilight by comparing Bella to Buffy.
And both shows of course led to "Firefly" which is beyond compare, but not old enough to count as a "yesteryear show".

Last edited by Schmiezi (June 7, 2013 4:32 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 7, 2013 10:19 pm  #18

I did not watch Buffy, Angel or Firefly when they were on first run.  However in the last two years I have binged watched all three.    *squee*     How did I ever live without Joss Whedon?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2013 7:17 am  #19

tonnaree wrote:

I did not watch Buffy, Angel or Firefly when they were on first run.  However in the last two years I have binged watched all three.    *squee*     How did I ever live without Joss Whedon?

Have you seen Dollhouse?

July 31, 2013 7:53 am  #20

Who can forgeet I Love Lucy?   and the bob hope bing crosby Road  movies. ?   Ok....I  happened to have loved the original Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funnicello  and Darlene Gillespie  and the Spin and Marty serial.  And I've loved almost all the series mentioned so far.   Don't forget Hercules  the legendary Journeys  and Xena Warrior Princess.    Oh...Uncle Miltie   and Carol Burnett?   And the westerns--  Bonanza,  Big Valley,  the rifleman,  etc.   Ok  I  better stop now,  Or  i won't get any sleep.  Oh  how abt the Jetsons and the Flintstones?   Gosh, they sure don't make TV shows the way they used to. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera