BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2013 9:53 pm  #21

Re: Instruments

Well spotted Molly- they are in the woodwind section of the orchestra but, hey, he is Finnish.

Molly, think calm peaceful thoughts. What pieces are you playing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2013 10:29 pm  #22

Saxophones are often made out of brass, I always call the instruments brass ones if you blow into them and I'm Finnish so forgive me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

November 8, 2013 11:29 am  #23

I "play" piano (usually one handed) by feeling my way across the keys & making matches to my favourite songs. I can't read musical scores & I can barely add a decent base line (3 finger chords) but I can mix & match notes to the melody of any piece of music that I hear (unless it's on a weird scale like F minor or something). I usually get the combo right on the second or third go & I remember it pictorially = like I remember the position of my fingers on the piano but I wouldn't be able to recite the notes (CDEFG style) & wouldn't be able to plot them on a staff somewhere

March 4, 2014 1:36 pm  #24

I have grown up with a lot of musical influence, and I started playing the flute from a very young age, I've been playing for 12 years to be precise.
Throughout the years, I've picked up different instruments and I've managed to self teach myself to play the piano and guitar. I've sort of discontinued the guitar, it's not really an instrument of my interest. I mean, I love the sound and they music it produces, but I don't see it being a guitar that I see myself playing passionately.

I'm very much a fan of classical music, so I guess that's why I'm more passionate about playing the piano and flute. When playing the flute, I very much use sheet music, but when it comes to playing the piano, I would much rather play by ear!

I still do want to be able to learn new instruments, the violin being one of my popular choices.

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 4, 2014 7:52 pm  #25

I have a funny relationship with music. Though I cannot read musical score, I can play the main melody to any song that I hear on the piano. It's an intuitive process that's difficult to explain. I have no idea how I do it. Only that I can.

Last edited by saturnR (March 4, 2014 7:53 pm)

March 4, 2014 9:19 pm  #26

Due to my dyscalculia I can't read music or play any instruments...

I have always dreamed of learning to play the violin one day; and I might give it a try one day... there has to be someone out there who can get past my learning disability and who has the patience... and hopefully I will have it too.

I've always been fascinated by people who play instruments. I can listen to live music for ages! The strings have always been my favourite in classical music but I also enjoy hearing the flute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 4, 2014 9:31 pm  #27

Possibly slightly dorky, but I've played the recorder for well over 20 years. I can play all kinds, from sopranino to bass, but in our little recorder "orchestra", I usually play alto. I also learned how to play basic piano, but never really went further. I can also play the guitar, but mostly just the strumming bonfire style.

I used to sing in a choir too (alto), but gave that up due to time constraints. I'm the only one in my family to actually play any instruments... And I will admit that I'm not much into classical music.

March 5, 2014 9:08 pm  #28

I used to play the piano reasonably well, but we didn´t have one for.. 12?..years now, so I´m not really in shape anymore. But I recently got a used electric piano from my granddad, and I´m practising again. It´s fun! But I still can´t do the quicker and more complicated pieces yet.

When I was younger I was also forced to play organ in church, but that wasn´t really my cup of tea ^^.  I deserted it as quickly as I could.​

I´ve also tried the violin a few years ago, I love the sound of it. But we didn´t become friends, I couldn´t get used to the way you hold it on one side.. 

May 4, 2014 9:30 am  #29

I play lots of instruments and have done through 17 years in life.

Between the age of 10 and 13, I played the trumpet. I were actually pretty good at it and played in orchestras and stuff. But it became boring, mostly because I couldn't sing along with it when I played.
When I was maybe 12 I started playing guitar, but only at home. I didn't take any lessons in it until a year ago, when I also started with electric guitar. I really love to play both of it, and I play it in two different ensembles. I can play anything between classical music to rock, and I think I'll continue playing guitar even as an adult.
I also take piano lessons. I started playing piano when I was around 8 years old, but just as the guitar I didn't take any lessons until last year. I have really easily for the piano, and most of the stuff I can I've learnt from YouTube.
When I started with the piano lessons, I also started to play organ. I play it at our local church and it's really fun, but very hard. It's three keyboards and one pedal board to concentrate at at the same time. I don't really know why I play the organ, but I started with it because my piano teacher want me to be a cantor... haha!

I find it really easy to learn new stuff when it comes to music, which is great because music is so fun. I also dance and sing in a choir, which I've done now for 11 years.

Last edited by batchlock (May 4, 2014 9:34 am)

Board footera