BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2013 5:48 pm  #1

Vocabulary question

You guys can all laugh at me, but I have got to ask you this question because it is driving me crazy.
>deep breath< OK, here goes:  (this is absolutely NOT meant to insult anyone, just my brain doing loop-the-loops + I need something else to think about besides Cumberbatch and this throbbing pain in my ankle in between times for meds)

Ok, when it's Tea Time, in the UK, you have buscuits. Fine. Being an American, I see them as cookies or tea cookies. I think some people call them wafers, but I could be wrong.

Fine then.
You guys also have scones, croissaints, dinner rolls (I'm assuming) and just plain bread.
Alright then: what do you call the little lumps of dough that we dump honey and butter all over (well I do, anyway) and put under gravy? You know: buscuits?

My grandma used to make some buscuits for her herd of grandchildren and when she covered them with sugar and butter she called them frogs. I have no idea where that term comes from. Ever heard that one?

Alright now my weird questions are over, thank you for not being insulted :D

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (May 30, 2013 5:49 pm)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 30, 2013 5:51 pm  #2

Re: Vocabulary question

Dumplings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 30, 2013 6:01 pm  #3

Suet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 30, 2013 6:24 pm  #4

It's okay... I remember being confused too when hearing that word for something completely different in their usage ('biscuits', btw).  What I know as those, or rolls, were the little rounds of bread to have with dinner... not the dessert 'cookies' or, yes, 'wafers'.  But i concur with the others... even not being a Brit, I'd call those dumplings, and thought I read similar usage for over there.   Have to admit never grew up with having them that way, though!  Mostly with meat and gravy, or the classic 'chicken and dumplings'.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 30, 2013 6:45 pm  #5

LOL! I seriously confused myself here. Russell, you know buscuits. Made out of flour, water or milk, and shortening. Some people like buscuits and gravy (not me, sorry but no.)

OK, I can accept dumplings, that makes sense.
I read somewhere that someone called them soldiers but that one flew through one side of my brain and right out the other.

Thanks for making this so much fun!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 30, 2013 6:49 pm  #6

'Soldiers' are thin strips of toast, usually for dunking into a soft boiled egg.

May 30, 2013 7:39 pm  #7

Ha... I know what you mean!  I was never a fan of biscuits and gravy, either.  Chicken and dumplings (the thicker/doughier little things) on the other hand... totally different...  ;D   And I was just politely pointing out the right spelling of it, is all.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 13, 2013 6:39 am  #8

'Buscuit'? Hahahaha, it sounds as if a Kiwi were to say 'buzz cut'. Like the hair cut.

You say dumpling, and I think Asia.
Asian food is amazing.

But from the sounds of it, it seems like the only Australian equivilant would be damper - a type of roughly-made bread. But that's not even popular anymore. It's only really cooked when out camping in the bush (traditional camping food = 'bush tucker'), and there's not that many who actually do that anymore.

I think 'damper' would be the answer given, if you asked most Australians, anyway. Either that, or just a blank stare.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

July 17, 2013 8:04 pm  #9

Ok, my vocab questions!

I eventually figured out "pants" is equivalent to underwear.
Put the kettle on seems to be slightly different from what I do when I make tea.
I turn on the stove, and puy the tea pot on to heat the water. Do they use an electric kettle? What is tgat?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 17, 2013 10:20 pm  #10

A plastic kettle with a plug that you plug into the wall and switch on..

July 17, 2013 10:29 pm  #11

besleybean wrote:

A plastic kettle with a plug that you plug into the wall and switch on..

I couldn't live without my electric kettle.  I use it for everything that I need hot water for...tea, coffee, lemonade (?!), pasta...it's so nice.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 18, 2013 3:05 am  #12

Seems like it would be more energy efficient than the stove top burner for hot tea.
I'll have to look into one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burn
Burn

July 18, 2013 3:11 am  #13

Much more efficient...it only takes about 2 min for mine to boil.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 18, 2013 8:10 am  #14

I have an electric kettle and I think most people do but my sister has one that goes on the cooker hob.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 19, 2013 8:38 pm  #15

Microwaved hot water is not the same as boiled water from the kettle. Don't know why.

Burn
Burn

July 19, 2013 9:03 pm  #16

butterfly grl wrote:

Microwaved hot water is not the same as boiled water from the kettle. Don't know why.

The water isn't heated as evenly, and it can actually be dangerous if a bubble forms and explodes.  I try to avoid it if I can.

Board footera